DPF Availability

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Anyone else waiting on a DPF?

My Passat 2014 TDI went to the dealer on March 14. 2.5 months later it's still sitting there and there continues to be no ETA on when the parts will be available.

Adding to my frustration is VWofA's refusal to extend either my CPO or Dieselgate warranties, since the car is sitting. I ran over there last week to get something out of it, and the car is filthy, 2 tires are flat, and the battery is dead. It will be curious to see if VWofA will pay for a detail (the battery will be covered by CPO, assuming the car gets back before the CPO ends.)

The dealer, who communicates pretty well, says their hands are tied. Anyone had any different luck getting VW to install an aftermarket DPF. Those are readily available...

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
Adding to my frustration is VWofA's refusal to extend either my CPO or Dieselgate warranties, since the car is sitting.
Refusal to extend warranty? Or refusal to honor warranty? If the repair is covered by Dieselgate warranty, then they should have provided you a loaner vehicle since March 14. If it's not covered by warranty, I'd suggest taking it elsewhere to get it repaired, perhaps to one of the "trusted gurus" on the list in TDI 101 forum section.

Curious what dealerships you are using seeing you are in same neck of woods as me. I don't know about detailing, but J.E. and Nalley will hand wash the exterior of the vehicle when it comes out of repairs. Or at least historically they have done so (not sure what's going on today with various labor shortages).

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
It's covered under both Dieselgate and/or CPO so it's not going to cost me anything out of pocket. And yes, I have a loaner...was a '22 Taos the first week, then J.E. rolled me out of their fleet and into an Enterprise, which happens to be a Tiguan. The issue is the Passat is my 17 year old daughters car, and she can't drive the Enterprise. Which means her mother has been driving the loaner and the daughter has been driving mom's 2018 Tiguan SEL. That was fine the first week; the last 10 or so since then have not been fine.

CPO runs out in December; my request to VWofA was to extend CPO by the number of weeks the car was out of service. They flatly refused.

A post yesterday on FB indicated that someone had a Touareg TDI that was down for 485 days. Based on the length of time, his dealer (and I am assuming - at VWofA direction and expense) replaced the tires, brakes, and fluids because the vehicle had been sitting. Her Passat could use tires, so this may work out OK after all. I'd just like to have some idea when/if the parts will become available.

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Update on this....

The Passat is still down. My other 2014 Passat TDI threw a code for a DPF, but it also threw a code for a Nox sensor, which was repaired under warranty. The dealer cleared the DTC, ordered a second DPF, and told me to keep driving it.

I received some interesting info on a couple things:

1.) VW is working on a workaround. The 2015 Passat DPF uses a different mounting bracket from the 2014. As the 2015 DPFs are readily available, the workaround would be to cut off the other side of the mounting surface, weld in a new 2015 compatible mount, and install a 2015 DPF. Dealer is awaiting the green light from VW Tech to move forward with repairing the 5 Passats that are dead in the water and sitting in their back lot....one of which is mine.

2.) The reason VW won't release the car to me is because when they were replacing the turbo, the bolts (which were rusted) broke on the existing DPF. VW Tech wouldn't approve a repair to drill out the bolt and replace it with a new nut and bolt, so instead they can continue to pay enterprise for what is now month 4 of me being in a rental. Talk about penny wise and pound foolish.....

watatrp

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta tdi (gone) 2013 Passat SEL TDI
2.) The reason VW won't release the car to me is because when they were replacing the turbo, the bolts (which were rusted) broke on the existing DPF. VW Tech wouldn't approve a repair to drill out the bolt and replace it with a new nut and bolt, so instead they can continue to pay enterprise for what is now month 4 of me being in a rental. Talk about penny wise and pound foolish.....
Is the rental a VW? Maybe they want you to fall in love with it and make it your own??

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
The rental is actually a Tiguan SE. I already own a Tiguan SEL TSI, which is a bit nicer :)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The CKRA is an entirely different engine than the CVCA, I doubt you could "adapt" the 100% completely different DPF assembly from one to the other. It would literally be easier to just tool up and start making the correct part again.

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
True, although the fix seems simple enough. Cut off the mounting bracket from the pipe, weld on a matching bracket for the 2015 DPF, and bolt it up.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Nope, not at all that simple. They are shaped completely differently, and mount completely differently. You may as well be trying to adapt a DPF assembly from a diesel Chevy Cruze.

All the brackets, tubes, sensor mounting.... everything... entirely different.

CKRA: 561-253-053-A

CVCA: 04L-131-606-H

Google those numbers for some pics. You'll see. The engine/turbo/intake/EGR is all different too. The CKRA and CVCA engines share virtually no parts at all.

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
Interesting...I wonder why the dealer indicated that was going to be their fix.

Simplest thing is just to source them from elsewhere but what do I know? I can walk into NAPA and purchase a DPF, probably made in Mexico, and it will bolt right up....

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
My '13 Passat is now waiting for a DPF, I'm in a dealer loaner since it's out of all the warranty extensions. But yes, one big issue is my "kids" can't drive the loaner. Coming across this does not give me hope for a quick fix; I wonder if they are manufactured in (or user components from) Ukraine.

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
I received a call from VWoA customer service yesterday as I've opened a claim with them. The "executive parts resolution team" says the next update on the DPF availability will be in October and I should please be patient. OK.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My '13 Passat is now waiting for a DPF, I'm in a dealer loaner since it's out of all the warranty extensions. But yes, one big issue is my "kids" can't drive the loaner. Coming across this does not give me hope for a quick fix; I wonder if they are manufactured in (or user components from) Ukraine.
Most places won't allow other drivers without adding them to the conditions and usually extra money. Not surprised VW won't allow this.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
Most places won't allow other drivers without adding them to the conditions and usually extra money. Not surprised VW won't allow this.
Actually this is through the dealer direct, not through VW. But even through they demand proof of insurance they won't allow other drivers that are on the policy.

Parthery

TDI
2014 Passat TDI
I'm hearing, but have been unable to confirm, that Enterprise will let someone under 25 drive the vehicle - subject to two conditions:

1.) It has to be a direct replacement for a covered vehicle. (Which is would be if you are renting the car because yours is down.)
2.) The driver under the age of 25 has to be listed as a covered driver on the Declarations Page of the copy of the insurance you provide to Enterprise.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Actually this is through the dealer direct, not through VW. But even through they demand proof of insurance they won't allow other drivers that are on the policy.
No difference really. I can understand the dealer (VW) not wanting anyone other than the covered owner/driver, driving their car.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
If /when my “dfp” time comes I am slicing it in half and cleaning with a pressure washer. Then welding it back together. It should only shorten by the blade kerf width, nothing to loose trying. Google it. I now have 232k miles on ‘14 Passat

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
If /when my “dfp” time comes I am slicing it in half and cleaning with a pressure washer. Then welding it back together. It should only shorten by the blade kerf width, nothing to loose trying. Google it. I now have 232k miles on ‘14 Passat
DPF.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
slicing and cleaning won't do anything if the ceramics are cracked which is always a possibility of why its tossing a code (EGR flow too low). if you're going that far mind as well just delete it.

drew_t

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
The warranty says:
The extended emissions warranty includes parts, labor, and applicable taxes. If the warranty service is scheduled to take longer than three hours VW must provide a loaner vehicle. The extended emissions warranty shall not void or supersede any existing warranty. Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer.

It doesn’t say “a loaner vehicle that only the registered owner is allowed to drive,” or “a loaner vehicle that can only be driven by a person who is over the age of xx,” or “a loaner vehicle that can only be driven xx miles,” any other limitation. VW agreed to this warranty language as a condition of being allowed to resell these cars. If they can’t replace the DPF in a reasonable time, and can’t or won’t live up to their obligation to provide a loaner vehicle without unauthorized limitations, then they’re in breach of the warranty.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The warranty says:
The extended emissions warranty includes parts, labor, and applicable taxes. If the warranty service is scheduled to take longer than three hours VW must provide a loaner vehicle. The extended emissions warranty shall not void or supersede any existing warranty. Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer.

It doesn’t say “a loaner vehicle that only the registered owner is allowed to drive,” or “a loaner vehicle that can only be driven by a person who is over the age of xx,” or “a loaner vehicle that can only be driven xx miles,” any other limitation. VW agreed to this warranty language as a condition of being allowed to resell these cars. If they can’t replace the DPF in a reasonable time, and can’t or won’t live up to their obligation to provide a loaner vehicle without unauthorized limitations, then they’re in breach of the warranty.
I really doubt that you will be able to push this. Getting the loaner vehicle can be hard enough. Getting the lawyers and others to actually stand up for the limitation elimination in my opinion will not happen. No matter what the paper says if you can't force it in court it probably won't happen. People are welcome to try but I bet they will balk, and the decision makers, if it goes that far, will rule against this. I would imagine they would argue the intent is to provide "you" with a loaner or replacement vehicle and that they have no duty to anyone else.

watatrp

Veteran Member
TDI
The warranty says:

I agree 100%. When my car was in for 3 weeks for the no start problem the dealer came to me with a loaner before I could even mention it. I guess it depends on the dealer. It's funny that a dealership will sell a vehicle to a person under 25 and even line up financing but they won't provide a loaner to that same person because of their age.

watatrp

Veteran Member
TDI
I really doubt that you will be able to push this. Getting the loaner vehicle can be hard enough. Getting the lawyers and others to actually stand up for the limitation elimination in my opinion will not happen. No matter what the paper says if you can't force it in court it probably won't happen. People are welcome to try but I bet they will balk, and the decision makers, if it goes that far, will rule against this. I would imagine they would argue the intent is to provide "you" with a loaner or replacement vehicle and that they have no duty to anyone else.
No need to force it in court. It's already been to court and VW agreed to the terms of the settlement. If they won't follow the agreement they put a pen to then they are going against the court and the agreement between our government.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
No need to force it in court. It's already been to court and VW agreed to the terms of the settlement. If they won't follow the agreement they put a pen to then they are going against the court and the agreement between our government.
All they have to do is keep telling you no. then what? You have to go back to court to show they haven't lived up to the agreement. I doubt you will convince the class action attorneys to take the case.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
Just to be clear my Passat is out of all the extended warranties. So there's nothing to enforce other than the vague terms of the dealer loaner program.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
Update this afternoon is VW expects to have "a small shipment" in October.