Downpipe source ?

Ralphy

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI sedan, 1997, silver, ABS

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
If you have the flange, I can’t see this being a difficult task for a decent exhaust shop.

-Todd

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Imo go to a proper exhaust shop. Aluminized steel pipe. Take it to a ceramic coat company.
60% less than SS job and lasts as long. You can diy the ceramic with cheap bbq paint. Just do not wrap it.

volksguy

Veteran Member
Hello So I would say you need a Part # AB 737-261 Down Pipe No Converter $105 to $160 Ebay Amazon But no pictures. OR Complete Pipe with Converter Part # DEC VW3426 about 5 on Ebay Or Just Use Search 96 Passat Converter.
Now if some one can Find me a compleat Uncut Wireing harness with Rubber Grommets For Outside Temperature MFA Converion I will Pay Up $$$$ came in 95-97 VR6 Passat With The MFA

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They still do inspections in VA? In NJ, everybody maintains their vehicles, so the state did away with safety checks.

-Todd

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
They still do inspections in VA? In NJ, everybody maintains their vehicles, so the state did away with safety checks.

-Todd
Lucky you. Communist state of NY is requiring inspection stations to upgrade their inspection computer stations to ones that have cameras that can see vehicle being inspected, supposed to be in by end of year, according to station I use for inspections....

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
I had a good conversation with DarkSide, and they were certain it was an exact fit. As I haven't yet installed the pipe, I don't really know just yet.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
I received the downpipe I ordered from Premier_performance. Before someone else finds this thread let me announce to all, do NOT consider this pipe as anything other than a laughable excuse of cobbled together pieces and parts. The mig welding is so atrocious I wonder how long it will be before the joints rust or break apart. Mig weld splatter wasn't cleaned. The first joint after the turbo flange connection has a 1/2" piece of the subsequent pipe sticking up into the air flow, which must have horrendous effects on flow. It has arms welded to attach to the non-existent rubber isolation snubbers never found on a b4. All in all, this downpipe is just unimaginably poorly constructed and assembled. Save yourself the time it will take to return it. Pics are available. In plain language, this product is just tooefed.

volksguy

Veteran Member
So Why do this keep going and going when I gave part # and were to buy with or with out Converter

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We can get these made, we just don't stock them anymore because of low sales volume.

And the only difference between the B4 and A3 pipes are that the B4 has an additional hangar, which we don't include on the pipe, so it fits both cars.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
The part numbers you provided didn't have pictures. I emailed the seller who did not provide the information necessary to get a warm and fuzzy feeling to buy their product. One of the numbers you provided was dead.

volksguy

Veteran Member
Yes Both Part # on ebay 737-261 there is Pictures no Converter but a connection flange 2 Part Number No pictures part # Direct From Rock Auto I JUST Looked Sir Right Now

volksguy

Veteran Member
I guess you should not wait weeks to buy one O and you can enter 1996 Passat TDi Cad Converter And it shows them that way Too

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
737-261 does not appear to be close to a 96 b4 with 1z/ahu engine. DEC VW3426 The seller stopped communicating with me after I asked for more details and a picture. Thanks for you help though.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And the only difference between the B4 and A3 pipes are that the B4 has an additional hangar,
I think you have that backwards. Odd decision that VW didn’t include the hanger on the more expensive German car, but included it on the lower cost MX Jetta.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My mistake there, but it still doesn’t change the fact the B4 had no type of dp support. The first hanger on the B4 is after the tunnel, leaving everything forward to hang off the turbo. The Jetta TDI got a support, at the beginning of the tunnel, mounted to the steering rack.

I’d imagine this lack of support is why many B4s had the flex joints fail and why it’s not an issue on the A3s.

-Todd