Door Seals

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Finally figured out why my passenger rear floopan was flooding: it's coming in through the top of the door. As such, how hard is it to replace the door seal? Yank, and insert new seal? Goop it in place? I have to dig out my Bentley to see what it says, but I'm wondering if anyone else has done this before, and can comment.

I now there are two door seals, but it appears neither is working on this one door.. The inner one needs to be replaced, as it appears that the outer one is not really doing much on the other doors either. Doors just don't sit flush.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Err, beats me... Didn't think about that, actually. They are bolted on, aren't they? Loosen the hinge, realign. Will have to look into that idea, thanks. Afterall, I can't see anything wrong with the doorseal, it's not like its dryrotted or anything.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
My drivers side door seal has leaked a little since new. Infact I have a nice rust straight line on the speaker in the front corner from salt/calcium leaking in many years ago while traveling I80.

And since it's that time of year. It's a poor design in general when it gets icy outside.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I think to align the doors the striker has to be loosened with a 6mm XZN bit IIRC. Its a very tricky process.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Had to yank the doors open this morning. You'd think it didn't snow in Germany or something. Or rain.

KB1RCC

TDI
2002 Golf
I vacuumed about an gallon of water out of the passenger side of my car. If you find a solution please post back! I would really like to fix this. It's driving me nuts as well.

Last edited:

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
if the door opens/closes smoother when lifting at the same time , it has drooped and needs to be adjusted. If the droop is significant , the seal , well, won't seal.
Those seals are expensive, I would check the door first.

Last edited:

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
only MKIVs have this freezing problem with the seals. an application of glycerine prevents them from sticking.

is gummy plfedge still sold ?

theantirice

TDI
none
I think to align the doors the striker has to be loosened with a 6mm XZN bit IIRC. Its a very tricky process.
Can you explain this process/where I can find a guide? When my rear left door is closed, it sticks out (like it's still partially open) about 1/4 inch.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
theantirice, according to the Bentley Service Manual the striker should only be moved horizontally, that is in or out. The striker on my Golf has alignment marks which I guess are to serve as a guide. FWIW, I applied some silicone grease to the top, felt like seal on the driver's side only and after last week's freezing rain my door open up easily. Now I think I used an 8mm XZN bit, not the above mentioned 6.

Last edited: