Door open sensors

arootbeer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI White/Black
The sensors that tell my 2000 Golf the doors have been opened are not working. If I disarm my alarm and open the doors, the alarm will re-arm itself after the normal waiting period if I haven't started the car. It's really annoying when you're putting the baby in the back seat and the alarm goes off

Where is the controller for these sensors, and how can I check whether the controller or the sensors is bad? I haven't tried this with all 4 doors yet, but I do know both driver's side doors will not stop the rearm.

Rustynuts

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta 2.0ltr Sport TDI
Do the internal lights work ok? Like do they come on when you open the door and go off when you close it?. If these are playing up then the door switches must be faulty, but two at the same time?

If the lights are OK then it must be with the immobiliser / alarm system.

The door switches are in the doors (part of the latch mechanism).

fhryder

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI (tornado red)
Hi:
Been there done that.
The switch is part of the door latch mechanism, and is not seperately replacable. I tried all last winter to get my driver's door switch to operate properly, it would switch on the door light, and set the door open light on the dash intermittently, very annoying!

Finally drilled a 1/3 in hole aand installed a switch from a Dodge minivan and spliced it in to replace the wv one.

end of problem.

Frank

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Have a look at this thread. It has a couple of solutions to your problem. Sometimes its a bad switch, but in my case, it was just the plastic cover that was not allowing the latch to go down all the way triggering the switch. My switch might also have been stuck due to all the dirt that builds up there. A good squirt with some contact cleaner and a sharp knife to cut the plastic cover and I have a working door switch again

arootbeer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI White/Black
I'll check out that thread, although I think I've read it previously now that you bring it up. It's an intermittent failure; sometimes I can open the door and the sunroof keeps closing, sometimes it will stop. Sometimes the alarm arms, sometimes it doesn't. I will try cleaning the switches and see if that gets rid of it. Thanks!