Door lock gremlins

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I'm randomly having issues with both the passenger or driver's door locks, either not locking with the key fob or not unlocking. So far it effects only 1 door at a time and somewhat infrequent as of now. I suspect both door lock mechanisms are failing?
Another interesting issue. I have the KVM mod that allows all the windows to be opened or closed with the fob. Now when I use the fob to close all windows, the driver's side rear window will go to the top and then immediately goes back down. Now if I release the close button slightly before this window reaches the top, it will stay there. TIA

TurbineWhine

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Platinum Grey
Didn't read the link you found, but I have had similar issues with windows that go up and back down and auto up function that quits working. To fix that problem, I have had to run the windows full up and full down several times for them to "learn" their limits again. This usually happens when the battery has been disconnected.

Also, I would recommend removing the KVM mod and see if the windows function according to factory specifications. It may be the KVM mod that is messing up.

TW

madelgado

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 3BG 2001
about the issues with the locks, I can tell that I have fixed 3 out of 4 of the locks from my passat 3BG (5.5) 2001. The way to fix it is conceptually simple but hard to do in terms of time.

I have found two different reasons of failure (both fixed):

- for both rear door locks, the internal microswithes were attached to the small PCB inside the lock with deficient solding. Just removed the stain, cleaned up, applied "flux" (which helps in distributing the heat in a uniform way) and re-solded again the microswitches.

- for driver's door lock, the problem was a small piece of plastic broken. This was from a kind of small ring that holds a moving piece of white plastic inside the lock. This small ring kept the piece surrounding an axis (sorry, my English is not so good talking about these unusual terms). Well, in the end, this small piece of plastic was interferencing with the lock mechanism, making the lock to self-open or re-close when starting to move (because I activated auto-lock). Just solded the piece of plastic with heat, re-solded the micro-switches (like for rear doors, just in case) and it works perfectly now.

The problem with replacing the lock is that it will be a temporary solution, since brand new locks are the same bad design as the ones that do not work. I know people who replaced the lock (100 euros) and it worked for only one year.

This is a complementary link to the one already posted by truman...

http://www.taligentx.com/passat/images/photo.php?photo=326&u=26|18|...

BTW, I see that US locks have one microswitch less than Euro locks, as well as a small piece of plastic that moves this switch... hmmm... I knew already that US locks do not have the SAFE feature... it could be just as silly as this microswitch and the piece of plastic (that anyone can build with a small block of plastic and the help of a driller and cutting tool). Cheers.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
truman said:
I'm randomly having issues with both the passenger or driver's door locks, (snip)
__. Did you read the "$3 Fix" thread? Lotsa info there.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
mrGutWrench said:
__. Did you read the "$3 Fix" thread? Lotsa info there.
I've done the $3 fix on the driver's door, which fixed the interior light not coming on when the door was opened. The latest issues are new and randomly intermittent at present. Thanks for the replies.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
truman said:
I've done the $3 fix on the driver's door, which fixed the interior light not coming on when the door was opened. The latest issues are new and randomly intermittent at present. Thanks for the replies.
__. Oh, yeah, VW "gremlins" again. I'm pretty sure that I've read of people fixing symptoms like yours by taking care of the microswitches but one never knows until you get into the doors.

Good luck.