Door handle, windows?

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Repl'd d/s door handle, hubs tried to use orig lock cylinder but gave up and put new cyl back in. . .sort of (first door handle he's replaced, be gentle). Wasn't right but at least functional for awhile. Gradually became less and less functional, key only went halfway in, also almost doesn't open from inside (prob sep issue).
Hubs squirted cylinder with WD yesterday, tried it out, all the windows went down, rears stayed and the rest came back up. The door handle cylinder is still messed up, so used the p/s handle to try to put back seat windows up. Nothing doing. Good thing for clear weather, black plastic, and painters tape!! Need to get it figured out asap.
Ideas/suggestions?

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Was this a new/used OE handle or a new/used aftermarket handle?
Did the rear windows work perfectly, prior to the replacement?
Have you tried the rear door window switches?
Any blown fuses?

-Todd

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
New replacement aftermarket handle.
The windows are completely dead.
No switch anywhere does anything -- dash or either back door handle.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I bet one of the grounds inside the bellows finally gave up.

The aftermarket handles use steel tumblers that are thinner than the OEM ones, and they will stick when they get bent. I can rehab the original door handle but I'd need it and the key.

Last edited:

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
So why would all the switches for both the rear windows stop? Neither back window responds to the d/s door handle switches, the dash switches, either front door key (driver or passenger) or the switch on the respective rear door handles. From what I understand, all the windows are on one relay/breaker, which was what we were originally thinking went out.

Hubs re-set the spring that had jumped on the old door handle. He'll be swapping that out this afternoon so I can at least get in on the drivers side.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
Regarding door handle replacement, there is/was a link to a great write-up of the process and I can't find it anymore, or remember who wrote it. Anyone remember where it is? Hubs did the door handle blind and would really like a step-by-step that includes adjusting the things that need it afterward.
Thanks!!

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I posted one many years ago, maybe this one?

As to none of the switches working, I misread the post and assumed it was just from that handle. I agree it’d be something common to them all.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
UPDATE: It was all the outer d/s door handle. He pulled it out, did a couple things (didn't say what), put it back in and now everything works just fine. Chalk up another one for the gremlins that run amok in the B4V's.