Door & Dash Rattle

Strack

Veteran Member
My 06, A5 Jetta has developed a door or dash rattle when the temperature drops below 61 degrees. When the air temp warms up, the rattle goes away. As the weather is growing colder by the week, it's time to eliminate this annoyance. Not sure if its in the drivers side door or drivers side front dash area by the vent? Any thoughts or suggestions before I start removing things.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Door rattle

Check the bolts that hold the door skin on. Most likely they are loose or missing. One of mine fell out in driveway, several others were loose. Use loctite to solve problem.

Strack

Veteran Member
Thanks 2004StarWarsTDI- your advise put my thinking in the right direction! It turned out to be the torx screws that hold the plastic fender liners in the wheel well. They had gotten loose and the plastic liner was rattling on the chasis with the noise coming up through the dash area. It took 5 minutes to jack up the car, another 10 or so to inspect, align and tighten the torx screws. All in all it was a half hour job. If they loosten up again, I'll buy some Locktight which should take care of it for a long long time. Glad I didn't start messing around with the dash board and door assembly... Thnx again!