Don't do phase 2?

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
Yesterday I called Boise Volkswagen about getting Phase 2 done on my 2015 Jetta TDI (68,850 mi.). The service writer discouraged me by saying most owners are not doing it, that it makes the car run bad. She said I would "have to sign a release " before they would do it. She said the 162,000 mi. emissions warranty would stay in effect without doing phase 2. She was really quite insistent that it not be done. Has anybody else heard this?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Yesterday I called Boise Volkswagen about getting Phase 2 done on my 2015 Jetta TDI (68,850 mi.). The service writer discouraged me by saying most owners are not doing it, that it makes the car run bad. She said I would "have to sign a release " before they would do it. She said the 162,000 mi. emissions warranty would stay in effect without doing phase 2. She was really quite insistent that it not be done. Has anybody else heard this?
Well you see all the issues the first one brought up. If you can get it in writing from them that your warranty will stay without getting it done. I wouldn't.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
In my experience, the most common cause of the Mk7 "running bad" is the dealer service department.

We have GSWs with Phase 1 and Phase 2, and both run fine. Obviously CRUAs and not CVCA.

The emission warranty does not "start" when the last emission repair fix was completed, and is in effect for your car now. As has been discussed at length in other threads, some owners are waiting to complete the warranty work in hopes of getting a new DPF later in the vehicle's life, and to extend the warranty miles/years from the date of their Phase 2 fix. Unless they plan to delete, getting a new DPF with zero ash residue with Ph2b will be a big incentive for those looking for long-term ownership. Phase 2a is only NOx sensor and software, IIRC.

As for dealers, the one's I've dealt with in regards to the Mk7 have all wanted us to come in for anything and everything, including the Phase 2 warranty work. I'm guessing they get reimbursed $ from VWofA and end up selling owners on lots of other "services."

Your question might be best answered by looking through the many posts about "to fix or not to fix" and similar.

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
Previous discussions have pointed out that on page 9 of the TDI settlement it says the warranty period starts over:

Warranty Period
The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” limited warranty extension shall be the greater of:
  • 11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR
  • 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification. At the time of the subsequent Phase 2 modification, the extended warranty will be honored for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the completion of Phase 2.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Mine was a stop sale car bought new in 2017. 2015 Beetle. I have had 2a done and am waiting for the other part as long as possible. I have a discussion with my SA every visit and ensure it is known not to do it till I approve it. It only has 40k+ miles on it so stupid to replace and muck with anything when it is essentially new and working just fine. I would assume if you have any dpf/emissions issues they will force the issue and make it so anyway. But I watch my regens to keep everything going smoothly. It is my understanding from reading about the theoretical maximum for my car is 222k miles/16 years ("the greater of" makes a huge difference here). But it would have to run faithfully through the whole initial warranty to make that possible. As long as they don't force the issue I will let it be. Working from home has stopped a lot of my driving, saving miles.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Previous discussions have pointed out that on page 9 of the TDI settlement it says the warranty period starts over:
Right, just as the warranty doesn't start with an emissions fix (it took effect upon finalization of the emissions settlement based on the in-service date), it does not "start over" with subsequent emissions phases, but is extended from the standing warranty which began with the in-service date.

For those not familiar:

"The vehicle’s original in-service date is defined as the date the vehicle was delivered to either the original purchaser or the original lessee; or if the vehicle was first placed in service as a “demonstrator” or “company” car, on the date such vehicle was first placed in service."

For the OP, who will likely meet the 11 years from in-service date prior to hitting 162k miles, the warranty can be extended by having the Phase 2 emissions warranty work completed, but other language ("starting over") may be confusing. See this post (and many others) for similar discussions: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/about-the-emissions-warranty.512625/

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/

one of my 2015 that I got new in 2017 ( now 30K) shows " modification completed - partial", the other 2015 with 70K that I bought from auction shows " modification completed" . Does this mean the car 2 had the phase 2 done? I know the car 1 had only phase 1 that was done at the dealer before the sale.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
As a quick first step, you could check under the hood for emissions mod stickers. There are different ones per phase. It's not definitive, but it's an easy start.

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
The emissions website is the most accurate place to verify phase 2 was done.

The phase 2 fix is suppose to include an under hood sticker showing phase 2 was completed, but the dealers regularly seem to forget about adding it.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The emissions website is the most accurate place to verify phase 2 was done.

The phase 2 fix is suppose to include an under hood sticker showing phase 2 was completed, but the dealers regularly seem to forget about adding it.
And if you compare emissions warranty work that has been confirmed completed (by the owner), or reported completed (by the dealer) with emissions work reported via the emissions website look-up, you will find the accuracy of the website is suspect, if not poor.

I can't say what the disconnect is between the dealer and the by-VIN look up, but I've found the most accurate method of tracking work to be having the dealer check by VIN (and even then there are mistakes). Although the accuracy of the VIN look-up seems to be improving, for the early part of the last 4 years the stickers were actually a better match than the online system- and I wouldn't rely on either now except as an easy starting point.

Last edited: