don't do it

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
So the local vw dealer has a cherry 99 Jetta TDI with only 100k miles on it, fully service history, TB recently done, for only $4k

tell me not to get back into a vw (as a 3rd car)

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If there's no rust...

Having owned a 99.5, they're a special beast. No immo = good. Hot start glitch in the ECU = bad (solved with tune). Wobbly MK3 shifter mechanism = bad (solved with upgrade to later style shifter upgrade).

Other than that and a few odd wiring harness differences they're all ALH all the time.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Manual? If so, I'd grab it if it's clean and rust-free. May need a few things, but nothing on these cars is that difficult. The shifter isn't as precise as a later MKIV, but if the parts are in good shape it's fine. If you weren't going from one to the other (like I do) I'm not sure you'd notice particularly. Besides, the OP had a MKIII, so he doesn't know different. :)

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
If you don't buy it you won't receive total consciousness!
So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking.

caideN

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon TDI
You only posted this so we can tell you to buy it :D

Go buy it.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Newer does not always mean better.......K.I.S.S.
no kidding, I cringe when thinking about having to eventually buy even a used vehicle with 57 buttons on the dash and features I don't want or need

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Oh come on!! It's technically a 2000my because VW is screwy with their model change overs.
I'd say that technically it's a 1999. When you look up parts you'll see them for 1999 with a mid-year split. MY2000 cars have a number of significant differences.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Greens: don't buy it, it is grossly overpriced. Get them down to $1500 and then only if it is rust-free like IBW said. Besides, being a loyal follower on this site, you already know the tons of stuff you're going to have to do to it as soon as you get it home anyway, right? There, now you know why it is overpriced.

Cheers,

PH

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Buy it so I can sit back and read your restoration story. I'm presently following OH's latest venture with the blue Golf.