doing timing belt and can't remove the engine mount out

vwtdi04

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I am stuck with timing belt, I can't remove the engine mount from the engine side, I lift the engine high enough and I can't get enough clearance to take it out, the A/C pipes are on the way , the instruction doesn't provide much info how to remove it,
is there a trick to it. I can't move much to the side where turbo is located there are pipes ,
any help appreciated

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
That's funny... usually I can't keep it from falling out and hitting me on the head...

As the above poster indicated, it's not essential to remove it... (I assume you're talking about an ALH engine)... User DogDots says that if you remove the intake air snorkel (from the top of the engine to the intake of the turbo - 2 bolts and a spring clamp), it comes right out. BTW: getting it out isn't nearly as much fun as putting it back in !!!!

All the best,

Yuri

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
It is difficult to remove the mount and even harder to get it back in. It takes a lot of fiddling around with. Only time when I remove them is if the threads look messed up. In that case, I install Time-Serts in the mount.

--Nate

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
That's funny... usually I can't keep it from falling out and hitting me on the head...

As the above poster indicated, it's not essential to remove it... (I assume you're talking about an ALH engine)... User DogDots says that if you remove the intake air snorkel (from the top of the engine to the intake of the turbo - 2 bolts and a spring clamp), it comes right out. BTW: getting it out isn't nearly as much fun as putting it back in !!!!

All the best,

Yuri
What he said ^^

You can rock and shove the motor to the drivers side. It's slid over for some reason. See it a lot. Push on the valve cover and intake manifold. A couple MM will do it. Also make sure to get the mount back in BEFORE you route the whole belt or you won't get it in.

What he said. Also

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
This can be done but is a PITA. VW screwed the pooch with thier design. Just finding just the right socket that will fit is tough.

That being said, you can move the engine quite a bit but takes the right angle of the dangle. Hardest part of the job in my opinion.

jasonTDI

TDI
Your 04' lilred have a slightly different mount. It covers the top rear bolt more than the earlier cars. Yes, it's a PITA. I get it from the bottom with a 1/4" 16mm socket.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
16mm mid-length socket for the impossibolt. Finer tool vendors have them.

You can also use a socket adapter on a gearwrench with a long 3/8 16mm socket.

http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/w...x_and_drive_adapters/setdetails.jsp?part=9231

Bracket goes in MUCH easier if you put the belt behind the lower small roller stud, then slide the bracket in with the top rear bolt in place. Hold bracket up, put belt on the inside of the stud, then put the roller in and torque. Put middle TB tin in place and secure with center bolt. THEN secure the engine bracket with two rear bolts.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Ah the beauty of not having A/C

What, being sweaty and smelling like a hog? Not beautiful man, not at all... besides, the A/C hardly gets in the way of doing this job. The correct tools make it pretty easy, actually. 16mm middle length socket, indeed!

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Come on guys those mounts are that difficult to remove them at all, just gotta have engine lift at right high and mount will fall down itself thru bottom, like what Yuri said, I have tough time usually keeping it from falling down. Anyways you don't need to remove mount just pushed out of way and you are good to go. I seen lot of TB back covers broken because previous person while tried removing bracket or installing it back and would break off good chunk of TB cover side, then you have all water/dirt get into TB area. So just leave it alone and work around it.

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
I am stuck with timing belt, I can't remove the engine mount from the engine side, I lift the engine high enough and I can't get enough clearance to take it out, the A/C pipes are on the way , the instruction doesn't provide much info how to remove it,
is there a trick to it. I can't move much to the side where turbo is located there are pipes , any help appreciated

It ain't easy. The only way I got mine out was remove the charge pipe from the turbo, lower the engine and there is a sweet spot where you can grip the bottom of the mount then pull and turn the mount in a counter clockwise rotation to slide it past all the obstructions. Putting it back is the reverse only this time you have a new belt in the way that you don't want to mess up. Be prepared for some cussing and scraped knuckles as you try to find the proper elevation of the engine to slip the mount out.

hotshot

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
i had a hard time getting mine out so i was just going to work around it. thern later on, while i was doing something else, it fell out. It easier and leaves you with less to remember if you just leave it there and work around it.

vwtdi04

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Thanks guys I opted not to remove it, if I manage to get it out I will be lucky to put it back. I had enough clearance to remove the belt and other accessories just moved the mount up and down when I needed to access other bolts..

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
is there a trick to it. I can't move much to the side where turbo is located there are pipes ,
any help appreciated
On the ALH I lift the engine as high as I can and remove the top two (I've only worked on A/C cars), then lower the engine a lot (careful with the vacuum hoses by disconnecting some) to get the to the bottom one. I leave the mount in place most times with the bolts removed.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
What Jokila said, you just need to find sweet height spot and that bracket falls thru bottom easy. On CR engines its even easier just comes right out no messing around with engine lifting. :)

jasonTDI

TDI
You guys haven't done enough of them.....Just wait....you'll get one that'll have you screaming obsenities at the car. Usually an automatic that has had the transmission replaced.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
What, being sweaty and smelling like a hog? Not beautiful man, not at all... besides, the A/C hardly gets in the way of doing this job. The correct tools make it pretty easy, actually. 16mm middle length socket, indeed!

Hot and sweaty? In Scotland? Lol no chance :D