Doing My Own 10K Service

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Since I'm not a fan of VW service departments and want peace of mind, I'm taking the plunge this weekend. Was hoping for a quick sanity check.

1. The oil filter I got from VW is part number 03L115562. This is correct, no?

2. Is there any issue with unscrewing the torx bolt at the top of this pic and removing the black plastic clip for additional clearance removing the old filter and putting in new? Seems like a no-brainer, but want to make sure it won't dick anything up.

I also purchased a new drain bolt and washer, 5 liters of LL3, a 1/2 gal bottle of AdBlue to use as my dispenser and two 2 1/2 gal jugs of AdBlue. I plan to wrap the mesh harness in aluminum foil to hopefully keep it pretty from any oil splatter.

Wish me luck. :p

mikeyinpa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI SE
You must really distrust your local dealer to pass on free service. I feel lucky to have a good dealer nearby.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Read some of the horror stories here with dealer service. Some are lucky and a lot are not. Glad you have one you like.

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Read some of the horror stories here with dealer service. Some are lucky and a lot are not. Glad you have one you like.
Yeah, definitely. When I go in for my 10K service, I will not be surprised if they try to bill me for it or try to con me into getting some weird extra service that appears nowhere in the manual but they insist is "necessary."

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You must really distrust your local dealer to pass on free service. I feel lucky to have a good dealer nearby.
Nobody cares more about my car than me. That's why I don't want them doing it.

It's been mentioned in this forum alone that dealers have spilled AdBlue all over people's trunks, to include seepage into the rear of the passenger compartment and under the seats. With the oil filter proving somewhat difficult to remove, it has been hypothesized that an unscrupulous tech might skip over the filter change and do the oil only. And oh yeah, did they even use the right oil?

I choose to eliminate these possibilities.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You will probably find that you need to add 2 to 2.5 gallons of AdBlue.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
FWIW, I had a great 10k mile service. The routine stuff took about an hour. No oil burning off anything afterwards, no DEF spills, and even had the radio software updated. Then I mentioned a couple rattles. The service tech went for a ride with me to demonstrate. He paid attention to MY words and the sounds we both heard and improved them.

Have fun!

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
FWIW, I had a great 10k mile service. The routine stuff took about an hour. No oil burning off anything afterwards, no DEF spills, and even had the radio software updated. Then I mentioned a couple rattles. The service tech went for a ride with me to demonstrate. He paid attention to MY words and the sounds we both heard and improved them.

Have fun!

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
With the oil filter proving somewhat difficult to remove, it has been hypothesized that an unscrupulous tech might skip over the filter change and do the oil only.
I'd forgotten about that possibility, and now that you mention it, I think I may reach in there and mark the filter somehow, and check it when they're done. I've never done anything like that in the past, but I've also never had a dealer so brazenly demonstrate that they don't deserve my trust.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
I too am planning on doing my own 10K service this weekend as well. Currently, I am just under 9500 miles (and expect to be at 9800 by Saturday) and have everything ready - 5L of Liqui Moly Top Tec, new filter (correct # above), a magnetic drain plug and 10 new copper gaskets (all from OilchangeKits), a VW AdBlue bottle along with another 2.5 gallon jug of DEF from Peak, new wiper blades, etc. Blue_Hen - you can unscrew the top of the VW Adblue bottle and refill it from the 2.5 Gal DEF jug and not cut the bottom off to make a pricey funnel. This way you can get secure, drip-free refilling of the urea tank. There are some little nubs that restrict the unscrewing, but once it is a turn or so open, it gets easier.
Why - because the VW service center here is a 2 hour drive away (and back) and is not a dealership. They are a multi-brand shop specializing in mostly Euro cars and are 'authorized' by VW to perform warranty work, but since there are not a lot of NMS's around here (I have only seen 2 others to date and not even sure if they are TDI's yet), and along with the fact that I have been doing all service work on all my other car, truck, bike and all the other ICE that I have, will continue to do so with this one as well.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I too am planning on doing my own 10K service this weekend as well. Currently, I am just under 9500 miles (and expect to be at 9800 by Saturday) and have everything ready - 5L of Liqui Moly Top Tec, new filter (correct # above), a magnetic drain plug and 10 new copper gaskets (all from OilchangeKits), a VW AdBlue bottle along with another 2.5 gallon jug of DEF from Peak, new wiper blades, etc. Blue_Hen - you can unscrew the top of the VW Adblue bottle and refill it from the 2.5 Gal DEF jug and not cut the bottom off to make a pricey funnel. This way you can get secure, drip-free refilling of the urea tank. There are some little nubs that restrict the unscrewing, but once it is a turn or so open, it gets easier.
Why - because the VW service center here is a 2 hour drive away (and back) and is not a dealership. They are a multi-brand shop specializing in mostly Euro cars and are 'authorized' by VW to perform warranty work, but since there are not a lot of NMS's around here (I have only seen 2 others to date and not even sure if they are TDI's yet), and along with the fact that I have been doing all service work on all my other car, truck, bike and all the other ICE that I have, will continue to do so with this one as well.
Thanks for the excellent information!

I don't really have the means to make a comprehensive video of this, but I hope to get a short (15 secs or so) phone video of the clearance of the oil filter coming out so that anyone trying the job can see ahead of time what they'll be dealing with.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I did my 30K change a couple of Saturdays ago and the oil filter was by far the most challenging thing of the whole job. For me it was simply a matter of getting it at just the right angle to wiggle it out. I pushed the wiring harness up and out of the clip however without removing it. The oil filter would be much easier but the cap has a post that goes thru the filter and makes the cap not come out by itself unlike the old design...

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Since I'm not a fan of VW service departments and want peace of mind, I'm taking the plunge this weekend. Was hoping for a quick sanity check.

1. The oil filter I got from VW is part number 03L115562. This is correct, no?

2. Is there any issue with unscrewing the torx bolt at the top of this pic and removing the black plastic clip for additional clearance removing the old filter and putting in new? Seems like a no-brainer, but want to make sure it won't dick anything up.

I also purchased a new drain bolt and washer, 5 liters of LL3, a 1/2 gal bottle of AdBlue to use as my dispenser and two 2 1/2 gal jugs of AdBlue. I plan to wrap the mesh harness in aluminum foil to hopefully keep it pretty from any oil splatter.

Wish me luck. :p

Wow that looks like tight quarters. Maybe you should get yourself a painting drop cloth from HOMEDEPOT (http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Drop...h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1) and cut it to cover all the precious surfaces, including the mesh harness.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I haven't attempted to peer under the mesh. I wonder if the EGR tube is easily disconnected/reconnected? Or should I even go there? Decisions, decisions. A novice (not to TDI oil changes, but to anything beyond routine maint) like me can be very, very dangerous when they go off script.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Make sure you have new rubber O-rings for the canister and get it aligned carefully. Otherwise, you can get leaks.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Make sure you have new rubber O-rings for the canister and get it aligned carefully. Otherwise, you can get leaks.
Roger that. I believe there were 3 o-rings in the filter box when I took a quick peek. I'm sure the big one goes around the top threads like on my older TDIs and then the smaller two likely go down low on the post somewhere. I'll be sure to do a one for one replacement with whatever is on the old filter assembly, along with lubricating each one.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
The OEM Filter comes with 3 new o-rings

Last edited:

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
I haven't attempted to peer under the mesh. I wonder if the EGR tube is easily disconnected/reconnected? Or should I even go there? Decisions, decisions. A novice (not to TDI oil changes, but to anything beyond routine maint) like me can be very, very dangerous when they go off script.
Why disconnect the EGR tube???

The cheap mechanic I had here in town did that to my old 2000 Beetle TDi, and it never solved anything (I had to reconnect the thing by myself to pass inspection, and didn't notice any change in performance in the years after that).

If it is under warranty, leave the equipment as you find it except change what needs to be changed.

By the way DOCUMENT everything you change, with receipts, just in case you need warranty work done during your 36K-mi warranty period.

And as you get experienced in your car, you will notice that you know more than the mechanics at 95% of the service stations and shops in your region (unless of course, you happen to live around the VW plant in Tennessee).

By the way, check in the forums at myturbodiesel.com, chittychittybangbang is a genius in all these matters.

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Why disconnect the EGR tube???

The cheap mechanic I had here in town did that to my old 2000 Beetle TDi, and it never solved anything (I had to reconnect the thing by myself to pass inspection, and didn't notice any change in performance in the years after that).

If it is under warranty, leave the equipment as you find it except change what needs to be changed.

By the way DOCUMENT everything you change, with receipts, just in case you need warranty work done during your 36K-mi warranty period.

And as you get experienced in your car, you will notice that you know more than the mechanics at 95% of the service stations and shops in your region (unless of course, you happen to live around the VW plant in Tennessee).

By the way, check in the forums at myturbodiesel.com, chitty-chitty-bang-bang is a genius in all these matters.
Whoa. Slow down. I was talking about disconnecting the tube for easier egress of the oil filter, if it's even feasible. And of course, yes, I have all my receipts for warranty validation. I did the same on my last new TDI when I did my own service. I even keep all my fuel receipts.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
seeing your worried about the looks of the EGR sleve you might not care, but that drain bolt installed doesn't need to be changed out every oil change. They went away from copper crushwashers and now have steel perminate washers that will outlive your car without leaking.

Insead of investing in a new bolt each time, why not look at a fumoto, it'll make the oil change real clean, no niagra falls effect.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
seeing your worried about the looks of the EGR sleve you might not care, but that drain bolt installed doesn't need to be changed out every oil change. They went away from copper crushwashers and now have steel perminate washers that will outlive your car without leaking.

Insead of investing in a new bolt each time, why not look at a fumoto, it'll make the oil change real clean, no niagra falls effect.
Huh. I wasn't aware about the washer. I thought I needed a new one every time. Well, it's getting a new one this time because I already bought it. I know the bolt is overkill, but the lady at the parts counter said they only sell the washer with the bolt (probably BS but I didn't feel like arguing and it was only $3 w/ washer). Fumoto looks neat, but I'm OK with the old last-twist-and-pray with my drain bolts. What's an oil change without a hot, sloppy mess? :p

PS. I have a Pela also. I'm OCD about getting the oil from bottom and top.

JARED_LA

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Huh. I wasn't aware about the washer. I thought I needed a new one every time. Well, it's getting a new one this time because I already bought it. I know the bolt is overkill, but the lady at the parts counter said they only sell the washer with the bolt (probably BS but I didn't feel like arguing and it was only $3 w/ washer). Fumoto looks neat, but I'm OK with the old last-twist-and-pray with my drain bolts. What's an oil change without a hot, sloppy mess? :p

PS. I have a Pela also. I'm OCD about getting the oil from bottom and top.
Blue Hen:
I've always changed my own oil in my truck and wife's suv. Never owned a car. How are you gaining access under the car? By ramps? I've serviced my car at the local dealer twice with no complaints, but I don't get the same feeling similar to when I'm washing the oil from my own hands......

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
Spent TDi oil is another name for PERMANENT BLACK INK. Good luck washing those stains

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Everything went pretty smooth. Thanks for the tips.

As has been mentioned everywhere, getting the filter assembly out is a PITA. Best advice I can give is to lift the canister and tilt the top slightly to the right (toward driver side), and then jimmy it around until you find the magical angle that allows it to escape. Even then, it takes some pressure to pop it through. She took about 4.3 L. I did bottom side drain and also sucked out the filter housing and down in all the recesses with my Pela. Even caught a factory fill UOA sample just for grins and giggles.

A few pics:

Removed plastic retainer clip for harness; wrapped EGR tube and mesh in aluminum foil

Post oil change; no mess :cool:

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just topped off the AdBlue tank. It only took 1.8 gal.

Doing the math, the 2.5 gal jug was $14, so AdBlue is only costing me $10 per service interval or one tenth of a cent per mile. Almost an afterthought at basically the same cost as a liter of oil.

Filling was unbelievably easy and mess-proof with the half gallon bottle purchased at VW. Didn't spill a drop. The top of the bottle just screws right off, you refill from the 2.5 gal jug via funnel, screw top back on, screw bottle onto AdBlue tank, depress to discharge the fluid and then repeat the process until you get a bottle that won't completely empty. For me, this was on the fourth half gallon with a fifth of that bottle left over.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Good to know blue hen ! Thanks for the info ! Do you do mostly highway driving ?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Good to know blue hen ! Thanks for the info ! Do you do mostly highway driving ?
Yes, check the Fuelly. I think I'm around 2/3 highway driving. I put a boatload of miles on in November on trips from DE to Norfolk VA and then DE to Savannah GA.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I forgot your average MPG is around 50, which explains why it only used 1.8 gallons of urea. Not bad at all!