Dog bone and rubber inserts replacement

ro.sniper

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
So the mounts are in....

Verdict: I'd like to have an one on one discussion with the engineer who thought about designing this mind boggling mount followed by the person which signed off on it.

Lets put it this way, with the car on jack stands, pressing the mount in would lift the car of the jacks. Pressing was done with a round plate the same size as the mount in order to put even pressure on the plastic side of the mount. The only way to insert this mount without removing the subframe is to cut the plastic side in order to compress it a bit. Even so this job can easily take 4-7 hours.

What can I say... after it was done the car was quiet and vibration free. It's almost a surreal feeling... (like a German car should be).

I rate this job a 50/10 for difficulty.

Cheers,

RS

zleem60

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI w/ 5th gear swap .658, 2002Jetta Tdi six speed swap!! :)
how's the one for the 6spds?

http://store.blackforestindustries.com/bfitoarmin09.html

worth the cheaper price? you think it'd be worth it with my mount and 57K on it?
I can't say the cheaper price item is better or worse in terms of inserts. As long as they do the job and keep your car from vibration. I say go ahead and get it.
In your newer Jetta, I would get it so it can help with premature failure in the stock mount. Better safe than sorry. Plus you might be able to skip the mount replacement from years to come. Only time will tell.

So the mounts are in....

Verdict: I'd like to have an one on one discussion with the engineer who thought about designing this mind boggling mount followed by the person which signed off on it.

Lets put it this way, with the car on jack stands, pressing the mount in would lift the car of the jacks. Pressing was done with a round plate the same size as the mount in order to put even pressure on the plastic side of the mount. The only way to insert this mount without removing the subframe is to cut the plastic side in order to compress it a bit. Even so this job can easily take 4-7 hours.

What can I say... after it was done the car was quiet and vibration free. It's almost a surreal feeling... (like a German car should be).

I rate this job a 50/10 for difficulty.

Cheers,

RS
Didn't I tell you. Frigging thing is crazy to get back in. Yes, took me about that long. But the outcome is your car feels tighter and no vibration. Good job!!

Last edited:

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
For the life of me, I can't get the stock lower mount back in. The plastic ring keeps deforming around the dogbone cutout and I can't press it in. Is cutting the plastic ring really the only way to put it back in? And wouldn't that reduce the rigidity of the mount, and reduce it's effectiveness?

VW Sucks for producing such a PITA mount!!!!!!!!!!!

zleem60

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI w/ 5th gear swap .658, 2002Jetta Tdi six speed swap!! :)
Unless you have the dealer special press, then cutting is the only way you'll get it back in, unfortunately. Yes it is a PITA.

nic_a_bod

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
PITA for sure, but those that are cutting the ring I think you will notice that the mount will slip down and the dog bone will rub on the subframe. I had my subframe out both times I replaced it, first time the ring deformed and broke and I drove around like that for 50k miles. The second time I replaced the mounts it was a lot warmer out. I put the mounts in the freezer and I was able to press them in with no problem the second time and they didn't deform anywhere near what the first set did trying to press them in. I should note that the mounts were different suppliers though. First set was from the dealer, the second set I got was from ID parts.

DriverJon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 6M
For max comfort in a stock to mildly tuned car, I would agree with you for the most part. However, even when mine was "milder" I added a urethane stuffer to the dogbone (I know why the MkIV guys call it that, theirs looks like one - MKVs need a new name for it) and it tightened up the response just enough to notice in a good way. I saw no increase in vibration at all.

Now, on my set-up at least, the stocks mounts don't stand a chance. They simply were not designed to constrain that much torque. Engine was rocking back so far that the VNT actuator was smacking the firewall and wheel hop was terrible under hard acceleration. The extra vibration is just something I am going to have to live with.
Wanted to hear more about the inserts. I've got a stock 2010 Jetta, may tune in the future, but nothing radical. Like the smothness of the stock, but would like thngs tighter as well. I see different duro's in the stiffeners, so wondering which one I'd like best for better driving feel vs not adding vibration.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
PITA for sure, but those that are cutting the ring I think you will notice that the mount will slip down and the dog bone will rub on the subframe. I had my subframe out both times I replaced it, first time the ring deformed and broke and I drove around like that for 50k miles. The second time I replaced the mounts it was a lot warmer out. I put the mounts in the freezer and I was able to press them in with no problem the second time and they didn't deform anywhere near what the first set did trying to press them in. I should note that the mounts were different suppliers though. First set was from the dealer, the second set I got was from ID parts.
So you removed the subframe and pressed both the upper and lower in from the top side? Were the top/bottom bolted together when you pressed them in?

I have some questions about dropping the subframe. Since it is just part of the subframe that you are dropping, and you don't have to unbolt any suspension stuff, do you have to worry about an alignment when you bolt it back up? Is there anything you need to support when removing just that piece of the subframe? Is there anything special you need to do to line up the subframe when putting it back? Also, is it best to do it with the front wheels/suspension loaded or unloaded?

I spent hours trying to press the lower mount in through the bottom with the subframe attached. I also went through 2 mounts at $60ea. I gave up and cut the ring, but I don't like the though of the lower mount not being pressed in tightly.

Here is a vid of engine movement during startup with the cut stock lower dogbone mount:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT3IqwzjR7g

I think I finally found a solution, apparently when you buy a new subframe:

http://keffervwparts.com/parts/2012...teid=216177&vehicleid=1502988&diagram=9274260

(Item #1 in link above)

It comes with a new upper and lower mount installed. So for $380 shipped, I can get a new subframe with the mounts in there, and all I have to do is unbolt the old subframe, and bolt the new one in! Totally worth it to me, to never have to deal with this again!!!

Last edited:

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
Before I order a new subframe, I decided to throw the mount in my chest freezer like another user said, and after a week in there, that thing is solid, with no flex. I am assuming the rubber has shrunk a little as well. THis biggest problem when pressing these in is that the plastic ring deforms around the dogbone cutout. Now that it is frozen solid, maybe it will work. With some grease, I may be able to press it in from the bottom. It is worth a shot atleast, hopefully I can try this weekend.

likediesel

TDI
2006 vw jetta 5speed manual
Hey everyone, I just done battle with these today and won in about 3 hours. Remove the old ones by cutting out rubber with a knife with dish soap on it. with a small chisel and hammer, cut/peeled out the old plastic ring. Cleaned corrosion from inside boar with sand paper and then lubricated with soap. Grabbed my belt sander and skinned down the outer ring on the new ones just a little until they could be tapped in snugly with a hammer. Not something that can be rushed. Originally I tried fighting them in when they were full diameter with a jack. After realizing that my Jetta did not care if it was being swore at, I abandoned the jack and got out my belt sander. I sure showed it not to mess with me.. LOL

aj164

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG pkg2
I just installed the Neuspeed urethane insert. It's red, and I think it is the softest they offer. The main thing I notice is loud and palpable vibrations when straining in reverse (such as up a hill). Otherwise, regular driving seems about the same as before. It's so easy to install, I'm considering to take it out again in a month or so to compare again.

mwc360

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI, 2009 Jetta TDI
Can anyone confirm that freezing the mounts/sanding the sides a bit make it much easier to install? I am hoping to do this and install both top and bottom from the bottom side without removing the subframe.

Also, anyone know how much movement the dogbone should have with a good condition subframe mount? I am able to grab mine and move it about 1/2 an inch. The link below is for a video I took of the dogbone/mount movement when starting my TDI and shifting (while the wheels are suspended).
https://youtu.be/mBTrA6Dpseg?t=11s

mwc360

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI, 2009 Jetta TDI
I can confirm that it is just as hard as everyone makes it sound. The problem is that the mounts are just too big to fit into the hole. I had to sand the outside A LOT for it to finally get halfway in (would've done faster if I had a belt sander). Then after getting it halfway in I couldn't get it in any farther and it was so tight I couldn't get it out (I was attempting to put both mounts in from the bottom side to avoid removing the subframe). I then used a small drill bit to drill through the plastic ring just enough to not totally break it but make it easier to compress. After doing this with the bottom mount as well all that was needed was my mallet and the floor jack.

Disappointingly, it didn't solve my engine shudder problem when shifting in 1st and reverse. I am now thinking it is one of the side engine mounts that is bad as when I had the dogbone disconnected the engine could move a lot (it could rotate at least a couple inches from front to back.

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
Anyone use tools like the one below? If so can they be rented?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTrPsK7Ink4
I have a shot dogbone rubber, it clunk on decel. I will wait for Oct in Canada.
Nobody eh? Oct 18th news is not coming so.......new question seeking advice. Partially torn dogbone mount in the rubber boot. What is the best route i should take.
  1. remove old mount and buy new stock mount. I fear a ***** of job without removing the subframe.
  2. buy an insert and install to buy time. I do not want something that vibrates. It has been hard to sort through the reviews on these inserts.

I thought that removal tool would be the easy answer but perhaps it is a myth. I would have to do this all from underneath the car on jack stands.

aj164

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG pkg2
I just installed the Neuspeed urethane insert. It's red, and I think it is the softest they offer. The main thing I notice is loud and palpable vibrations when straining in reverse (such as up a hill). Otherwise, regular driving seems about the same as before. It's so easy to install, I'm considering to take it out again in a month or so to compare again.
It has been several months, and I just took it out. The car is much better without the urethane insert. The noise and vibration transfer from the BRM engine into the cabin is too much with the insert. I put up with that for way too long!