Does this fuel gauge look right?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Ok.. New NMS owner here. (It's TDIClub official now :D )

Does this fuel gauge look right for the amount of miles on the trip odometer?

The car was a dealer trade so it was delivered to me with around 78 miles on it. My sales lady said she just got back from filling it when we accepted delivery We drove it straight from the dealer to the Elton John concert, about 100 miles round trip.

This is what the gauge looks like:

So.. Less than 100 miles, over 1/4th of a tank consumed, with 500 miles left? According to the consumption indicator, we got about 36MPG driving there, and 42.6 on the way home.
Just from my observation, I either:
  • Didn't get a "full" tank.
  • The Passat uses a LOT of fuel
  • I drive too hard (Not likely)
  • I have unrealistic expectations

With my 3 prior TDIs, I could usually drive 100 miles or so without seeing a dent in the fuel gauge. Those were Mk3, Mk4, and Mk5 platforms with the "narrow" fuel gauge. I do realize the Passat gauges have a much wider range, therefore the gauge will probably move more per unit of fuel consumed, however at this rate it looks like i'm going to get about 400 miles per tank.

I've been around the block a time or two, and I know new cars don't generally get the best mileage, winter fuel, etc.. but this seems abnormal.

Vmwalker

TDI
2013 Passet TDI SEL Premium Reflex/Moonrock
Mine starts to move within 25-40 miles when filled. Usually at the ~100 per long mark (50 per short mark) rate.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Ours moves off full almost right away. The car is sensitive to the angle it's parked at when you fill the tank, for best results fill with the front of the car slightly uphill.

-J

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
200 miles per 1/4 tank is normal for me without driving for economy. So no , it's not normal if it was truly filled.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Wow you finally got a TDI Passat! :D

Is your wife still driving her gasser?

Each tick mark on the gauge should be ~50 miles if you're on the highway, with each 1/8 of a tank good for ~100 miles. This is, of course, assuming you have filled the tank completely. I fill with the car slightly up hill and with the engine running.

The fuel gauge on the Passat is very linear, unlike just about every other TDI I have driven. Our ALH's fuel gauge stays on full for 200 miles and then drops from there. Chances are your sales lady was a gallon or two short of a full fill... top it off and try again. :cool:

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Wow you finally got a TDI Passat! :D

Is your wife still driving her gasser?

Each tick mark on the gauge should be ~50 miles if you're on the highway, with each 1/8 of a tank good for ~100 miles. This is, of course, assuming you have filled the tank completely. I fill with the car slightly up hill and with the engine running.

The fuel gauge on the Passat is very linear, unlike just about every other TDI I have driven. Our ALH's fuel gauge stays on full for 200 miles and then drops from there. Chances are your sales lady was a gallon or two short of a full fill... top it off and try again. :cool:
Apparently the Passat gauge is way more linear than any other VW I've owned. Noted.

Yeah, finally joined the Passat club. I've always wanted a larger car with a TDI and I had just bought my '03 when maybe a year or so later I saw the B5 Passat TDI on the lot. Was really happy with my Jetta so I didn't bite.
Come now I was just about done with the note on my Jetta and I got the call from the dealership.. "Hey.. We're always looking for used TDIs.....", so I went in to just kick the tires so to say. After we worked the numbers, I didn't think I'd have as much equity in my '09 as I did. Got over KBB and under invoice on the new Passat. I ended up basically starting over with a new car note but it's a few bucks cheaper per month and I've got the car I think I've always wanted and a 6 year 120K warranty to boot. (You only live once, right?) Plus I was going to be due for tires, brakes, timing belt, etc.. pretty soon. I figured that I was probably going to look at the Passat within a year, and by the time I sunk all that money into maintenance and added depreciation on my car I think I actually saved a few bucks by buying now. Not to mention I was rolling on one of the first gen CRs, and we all know the unknowns that come with that. The final breaking point was that I didn't want to guinea pig the 150 CR if I decided to look at a Passat in MY15. As TDIClub has learned, generally the last year for something is the best (i.e. 2003 ALH, 1998/early 99 AHU).

There's not one feature I can think of that I didn't get on this one, save for a lip spoiler and that's because I was kind of trying to be cheap and hope they couldn't find one without and would just throw it in :D.

Every car I've ever bought there's always been something lacking.. decent stereo, roomy, navigation, highline MFD, etc.. Just little things. This Passat SEL has it all and then some. The only thing I think I'm going to do to it is get the windows tinted.

Yes, my wife still has her gasser so we're not only a 2 VW family, but a 2 NMS Passat family!

Damn it all though if I didn't just get an inch or so of curb rash on one of my new rear 18" wheels though turning into the grocery store parking lot. 198 miles on the clock :mad:!!! Gotta learn to get used to a longer car!

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Don: Sorry about the curb rash. The OEM Hankooks give ZERO protection to the rim. The OEM (at least in 2012) wheel surface is virtually flush with the side of the tire. Also, parallel parking using the "dipping" RH mirror, as soon as the curb disappears under the fender, the wheel is rubbing. Don't ask how I know...

I'd say the fuel gauge is very linear, except right after fill-up. You've probably already read the lengthy thread re: how tricky it is to really fill the tank.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Don: Sorry about the curb rash. The OEM Hankooks give ZERO protection to the rim. The OEM (at least in 2012) wheel surface is virtually flush with the side of the tire. Also, parallel parking using the "dipping" RH mirror, as soon as the curb disappears under the fender, the wheel is rubbing. Don't ask how I know...
I'd say the fuel gauge is very linear, except right after fill-up. You've probably already read the lengthy thread re: how tricky it is to really fill the tank.
Yeah, I got the Conti's, and they offer about zero protection as well. For me at least, the choice between Conti's and Hankook's was like choosing Ol' Sparky or the Gas Chamber - I've had 5 or 6 sets of Continental tires through the years and not one of them have I ever gotten to the mileage warranty on them. I always get a pro-rate, but it's just annoying as all get out. I'm pretty faithful with rotations and keeping the pressures right as well, so I just don't understand. Already filling my piggy bank for a new set of Michelins when the time comes.

That is one thing I'm going to miss from the days of TDI past... This new fuel idiot nanny thing is really going to cramp my style. I used to fill the tank right to the point where the next drop would be spilling out the filler neck hole. The first time I come across an incompatible pump is not going to be pretty...

Last edited:

PurpleGrimace

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
I used to fill the tank right to the point where the next drop would be spilling out the filler neck hole. The first time I come across an incompatible pump is not going to be pretty...
I'm still trying to get to that point - half the time, I end up dumping a cup or two down the side of my car... *sigh*

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Ok.. New NMS owner here. (It's TDIClub official now :D )

Does this fuel gauge look right for the amount of miles on the trip odometer?

The car was a dealer trade so it was delivered to me with around 78 miles on it. My sales lady said she just got back from filling it when we accepted delivery We drove it straight from the dealer to the Elton John concert, about 100 miles round trip.

This is what the gauge looks like:

So.. Less than 100 miles, over 1/4th of a tank consumed, with 500 miles left? According to the consumption indicator, we got about 36MPG driving there, and 42.6 on the way home.
Just from my observation, I either:
  • Didn't get a "full" tank.
  • The Passat uses a LOT of fuel
  • I drive too hard (Not likely)
  • I have unrealistic expectations

With my 3 prior TDIs, I could usually drive 100 miles or so without seeing a dent in the fuel gauge. Those were Mk3, Mk4, and Mk5 platforms with the "narrow" fuel gauge. I do realize the Passat gauges have a much wider range, therefore the gauge will probably move more per unit of fuel consumed, however at this rate it looks like i'm going to get about 400 miles per tank.

I've been around the block a time or two, and I know new cars don't generally get the best mileage, winter fuel, etc.. but this seems abnormal.
You're in Illinois, the temperatures are really cold, the car is new, and yes, it is NORMAL at this point of ownership.

You'll start getting higher mpg's after a few thousand miles, and after the weather warms up.

In the mean time, KEEP EVERY DIESEL FUEL RECEIPT.

And, start feeding the car a bottle of diesel additive with every tank, either Stanadyne Performance, or Howes.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
In the mean time, KEEP EVERY DIESEL FUEL RECEIPT.

And, start feeding the car a bottle of diesel additive with every tank, either Stanadyne Performance, or Howes.
Been there, done that with receipts. You should have seen the look on the sales lady's face when I handed her a folder full of service records, VW warranty extension notices, and an envelope full of every fuel receipt I had for my '09. Figured it might help them sell the car, or at least not have to put any unnecessary service into it prior to putting it on the lot.

As for additive, I'm more of a Power Service kind of guy myself ;)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
As far as the fuel nanny is concerned, you can remove it pretty easily... then you can fill like you're used to.

Also, I hope you can make it to the Detroit Auto Show GTG this year! It's been a while since you've been out and about with the TDI crowd. :D

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
This new fuel idiot nanny thing is really going to cramp my style. I used to fill the tank right to the point where the next drop would be spilling out the filler neck hole. The first time I come across an incompatible pump is not going to be pretty...
What problem does the new misfueling guard cause so that you cannot fill the tank? I have this in my car, and when I want to spend a bunch of time filling my car to the very tippy top of the tank, I can do this with the misfueling guard present.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
When I take the time to "fill" the car, when the weather is warmer out (50F+), I probably get 50 miles before my guage moves. When it's cooler out, I usually get 20-30 before my guage moves.

If you moved that far in just 7 miles, you tank didn't get full.

jeproks

TDI
NMS Passat SE TDI
When I take the time to "fill" the car, when the weather is warmer out (50F+), I probably get 50 miles before my guage moves. When it's cooler out, I usually get 20-30 before my guage moves.

If you moved that far in just 7 miles, you tank didn't get full.
I'm pretty sure it gets full as I take my time to fill-up and squeeze as much as I can. I was able to get 16.87 gal last night.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
My guess is that dealer "fill" wasnt quite as filled as you would have liked.

superchud

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI SE w/ Sunroof (DSG)
Just filled up tonight and was able to squeeze in 16.960 gallons with a slow fill.

superchud

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI SE w/ Sunroof (DSG)

oswegoPD

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TSI, 2013 Passat 6M sold, 2012 Jetta Premium DSG sold, 2004 Jetta GL 5M (sold)
The dealer shorted you. Congrats on the new car. I love mine. My MPG is better than my 04 PD 5M. You'll like the improvement over the 09.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
The dealer shorted you. Congrats on the new car. I love mine. My MPG is better than my 04 PD 5M. You'll like the improvement over the 09.
Thanks!! So far I love the car, but I feel a bit odd when driving it.. Almost like it's too nice of a car for me! Probably because this is the first time in 15 years I haven't owned a Jetta.

Got about 44.5 on my way back from the South Chicago area today. I could do that with the '09, but I really had to try. I really put no effort into the drive today and got that kind of mileage. As with every other TDI I've had, I would imagine it gets better on summer fuel, warmer days and after the engine is broken in.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Yes, the Passat seems to suffer more in the winter than other cars, but does better in the summer. I suppose it's a wash then :confused:

-J

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yeah I think it suffers due to the higher electrical load. If you take long trips in the winter, you'll notice much less of a penalty. Short trips in the winter really take their toll on fuel economy.

Sigforty

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat w/DSG
No one mentioned this, but i wonder since it has so few miles on it that consumption is off due to breaking in. For what it is worth, my 2012 gets around 40-50 miles per 1/16 hash depending on traffic mostly. As for fillups I get 17-19 gallons typically in my car, and it is very dependent on the car angle at the pump. I can fit the most in the tank with the nose angled down.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I filled up yesterday (topped off completely) and the gauge just started to crack off of full around 35 miles.