Does this exist, mk7 2015+ TDI Sportwagon SE/SEL w/o Panoramic Roof?

hudsvdub

TDI
2013 Sportwagon
Before I give up search and get a S, thought I'd ask if anyone is aware whether there were any 2015+ TDI Sportwagon SE/SEL w/o Panoramic Roof?

I'm in search for another TDI Sportwagon, but don't want the Panoramic roof. For various reasons I'm not a fan of the Panoramic roof, though a fan of the TDI Sportwagon (currently have a 2013).

A 2015+ TDI Sportwagon SE/SEL w/o Panoramic Roof, seems to be a unicorn!

tia,
hud

capt_slow

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
Nope. It was standard equipment on SE and SEL, and not available on S. Just checked the MY2015 brochure to be sure.

AFAIK, 2015 was the only year VW imported the Golf/GSW TDI to the US. There are 2016 Touareg TDIs.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
It's kind of frustrating because in the old days you could pick and choose what options you wanted on a vehicle but today you have to pick a "package". I guess it's much cheaper to build them this way. I do not like sun roofs but found out if you want leather, on just about every car made you are getting a sun roof to go with the leather. One option is to buy the base model and add upgrades yourself but not cheap or easy to do.

hudsvdub

TDI
2013 Sportwagon
It's kind of frustrating because in the old days you could pick and choose what options you wanted on a vehicle but today you have to pick a "package". I guess it's much cheaper to build them this way. I do not like sun roofs but found out if you want leather, on just about every car made you are getting a sun roof to go with the leather. One option is to buy the base model and add upgrades yourself but not cheap or easy to do.
Yeah that's what I'm considering. I want to swap out front seats, and may upgrade headlamps. I just know once I start it could turn into a really bad habit :)

hudsvdub

TDI
2013 Sportwagon
Nope. It was standard equipment on SE and SEL, and not available on S. Just checked the MY2015 brochure to be sure.

AFAIK, 2015 was the only year VW imported the Golf/GSW TDI to the US. There are 2016 Touareg TDIs.
Thanks, that's what I thought just didn't want to give up without getting others input.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
One option is to buy the base model and add upgrades yourself but not cheap or easy to do.
Story of my car's life. Although I also have upgrades that no TDI in the US even came with too 😬.

nathanso

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI S 6M (sold)
The Mk7 TDI S trim front seats get uncomfortable for me on drives over 2h. Loose SEL seats are rare and pricey but if a clear upgrade to Passat, CC, or Audi seats was available, including proper side airbag operation, I'd certainly pursue it. Similarly, the Mk7 TDI S trim stock audio system is lackluster. On the upside, my car's roof has never leaked. :)

hudsvdub

TDI
2013 Sportwagon
The Mk7 TDI S trim front seats get uncomfortable for me on drives over 2h. Loose SEL seats are rare and pricey but if a clear upgrade to Passat, CC, or Audi seats was available, including proper side airbag operation, I'd certainly pursue it. Similarly, the Mk7 TDI S trim stock audio system is lackluster. On the upside, my car's roof has never leaked. :)
Story of my car's life. Although I also have upgrades that no TDI in the US even came with too 😬.
Thanks, I needed this info to complete my acceptance that I'll get an 2015 GSW S then replace seats. I can live w/o the sound system, but can't live w/a panoramic roof, as @nathanso states "On the upside, my car's roof has never leaked."

Now I need to find seats, any suggestions of where to search besides ebay?

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Thanks, I needed this info to complete my acceptance that I'll get an 2015 GSW S then replace seats. I can live w/o the sound system, but can't live w/a panoramic roof, as @nathanso states "On the upside, my car's roof has never leaked."

car-part.com

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M

I would suggest the Mk7 parts FS threads at the vortex. They list part-outs plus you'll find owners installing various aftermarket or VAG seats.

As an aside, the SEL seats are not univerally loved, since it's largely a matter of personal preference and torso/leg length. I replaced my SE seats with GTI because I'm a fan of the plaid, but in (her) Mk7 S, there was no desire for SEL seats because the S and SE seats were far more comfy (a better fit). Also, replacing the seats may not get you exactly what you want unless you also replace the BCM.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
As an aside, the SEL seats are not univerally loved, since it's largely a matter of personal preference and torso/leg length. I replaced my SE seats with GTI because I'm a fan of the plaid, but in (her) Mk7 S, there was no desire for SEL seats because the S and SE seats were far more comfy (a better fit). Also, replacing the seats may not get you exactly what you want unless you also replace the BCM.
To add another data point, I replaced SE seats with SELs rather than GTIs because I wanted more adjustments (specifically, bottom cushion tilt and 4-way lumbar) and the slightly less aggressive side bolsters still gave that "hugged" sensation, albeit without the ultimate hold for cornering (which I didn't need). A not uncommon complaint about the SELs is that they are somewhat narrow in the beam vs. the SEs and wider-beamed folks feel wedged-in and not contacting the seatback fully, rather than feeling more comfortable. Padding firmness is about the same as the SEs, so for me the increased comfort is in the greater adjustability, particularly the bottom cushion tilt.

BTW, Canadian Highlines apparently have real leather rather than the SEL's V-Tex. Maybe it was an option rather than standard? Hopefully someone will confirm.

I should add that I considered Audi A3/A4 seats, but didn't want to deal with whatever airbag, BCM, wiring, or mounting issues that might arise. I would already be dealing with custom upholstery for the SELs, so that was enough challenge for me!

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I think even going to late model Mk7's will mean some re-wiring as the plugs were changed at some point. Unless you are adding memory function or heat you shouldn't need to add wiring. When I swapped seats I swapped the seat rails and harnesses over. Also had to put in my side airbags (since I couldn't get them shipped international with them installed). In hindsight I would have just bought new side airbags, but too late now.

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
Get the S and don't look back. The lighting package headlamps are a let down. The SEL seats are good but not that big a deal. The option I would miss the most are the seat heaters.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Oh wow. Completely disagree.
The seats in my Highline (SEL) fit me so much better than even the Comfortline (SE) ones, let alone the fabric on the Trendline (S). Headlamps aren't the best I've ever used (that honour goes to the FX-R projectors I built up on my Mk4 :D ), but they're certainly better than halogen headlamps. And, despite not thinking I wanted KESSY, it's one of those things that once I've had it, every car from here forward is going to have it.

In Canada, the Comfortline/SE did *not* come with sunroof - it was in one of the option packages instead. When I was shopping, having sat in all three trim levels, it wasn't even a second thought that I was gonna take the Highline.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Oh wow. Completely disagree.
The seats in my Highline (SEL) fit me so much better than even the Comfortline (SE) ones, let alone the fabric on the Trendline (S). Headlamps aren't the best I've ever used (that honour goes to the FX-R projectors I built up on my Mk4 :D ), but they're certainly better than halogen headlamps.
To my mind, seats are like pillows. Just because the higher priced hotel chain has fancy pillows doesn't mean they fit me better, and I don't associate the higher price with improved personal comfort. The SEL seats might be better for taller people, I don't know, but they certainly weren't the right shape/size for (her) Mk7. Of course, your seats (covers) up North are also different than the OP's choices. I can't stand leather, or pleather, or V-Tex, so what do I know!

Agreed on the lighting package vs S halogens.

I wouldn't mind Kessy if the key fob wasn't so large, or if there was a valet key provided. I wish we had a Fred's version of the "Let's miniaturize our great hulking Mk7 key fobs" thread. I bet we would have been more successful!