Does thi sound right?

PeterC

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL, Dodge Diesel, Jeep Diesel, Toyota Diesel, Shamrock Diesel
Hello,
We bought our second Passat TDI a few weeks ago.
I posted here about an issue with the radio and what the dealer had done.
This was a buy back car 2015 with 2300 miles. Found its way to a used lot in New Mexico. They go through a lot of TDIs.
There was a complaint that the radio didn't work so they replaced it.
We bought the car anyway and everything seemed fine except that the rear view camera didn't work and when you turn on the radio it doesn't identify as a Fender sound system.

We also have a 2013 so I have something to compare.
Initially the dealer said that this wasn't covered under their warranty but their service manager got involved and was very gracious. Told me to take it to the dealer and they would pay for it.
However, the dealer has said that they need a disc to upgrade the radio (RNS 510) but they are having difficulty getting the disc?
Could it be as simple as a firmware update?
Car is great though it has some dings in the trunk and the roof. I suspect they are from hail or traveling all over the country on the back of a truck.
Also the "Ns" are missing from the start button.
53.5 MPG on our last 450 mile trip from Nevada to So Cal which is exactly why we have two of them.
Still waiting for dealer to get disc but was considering buying one on EBAY.

Thanks in advance.P

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Did you verify this is a 2015 radio? Or was this the one from a 2012? 12s did not have reverse cameras due to the tsunami in japan.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Is it doing this?

Or constantly rebooting? The key thing is to find out which radio you have (as in part #), there’s videos that show how to get part #/ version info. The update for a 14/15 may brick an older radio.

PeterC

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL, Dodge Diesel, Jeep Diesel, Toyota Diesel, Shamrock Diesel
Not sure

Originally they said that they were going to put in a 2015 radio then said they put in a 2014 then said it was current.
Our problem was that my wife was flying to Albuquerque to get the car and then driving 1000 miles home; so we couldn't really be as discerning as I would have liked.
The salesman told me that the car had one scratch (that would likely buff out) I'm taking the dings as penance for not seeing it before buying it. Still a pretty car though.

I didn't realize that tsunami's could take out rear view cameras. Makes sense though. Racing from a tidal wave wouldn't require seeing behind you, too scary.
The dealer seemed to think that the disc would right the world. I would think they would be able to go in and do all of the "coding" to fix it but that's what I get for thinking.
I also can't imagine that they wouldn't have quick and easy access to the disc.
Thanks,
Oh, it seems to work fine. No re-booting or funny screen, just no backup camera and I don't think I'm getting Fender sound. I need the backup camera to work so that my wife doesn't have and excuse for backing into my truck, again. The last time she did it I could at least rail about her not paying attention to the backup camera. The first two times she did it she could blame the lack of a backup camera in her Acura.
P

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The radio popping over to reverse camera is coded into the radio and can be modified via VCDS. You could disable it for the beetle.

For the OP be glad those "N"s are missing on the start button, it saved you the bandaids when you got stabbed when the lifted off.

PeterC

TDI
Update still not working

It took nearly two months for the dealership to get the CDs to update the radio. They had the car for two hours this morning and came back to say the radio wouldn’t read the CD.
Their original diagnosis was that they needed to update the radio and then they could do the coding to initiate the Fender Sound System and the backup camera.
I’ve had VW involved for about a month, trying to expedite the repair.
This is frustrating.
P

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
What radio do you have? Can you post a picture?

Also, hold down the Setup button for 10 seconds and take a picture of the part number and software level and post it here.

PeterC

TDI
Rns 510

Delivery part number. 3C0035684k
Version H61
Software 4366
North America
Navteq

Any thoughts?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
So looking over your first thread, they still pulled something over on you. There’s something funky with that radio.

The “J” revision of the RNS-510 is the last model that can use firmware version 4366. Every part number through J had a physical spinning platter hard drive. Starting in 2014 with the revision “K” they got a Solid State Disk (SSD) hard drive and started using firmware version 4369 (or higher).

It is literally impossible to put 4366 (or earlier) on a “K” or later model. Because that would be firmware built for a platter HD on a radio with an SSD. They are incompatible. Or vice versa, it is impossible to put 4369 or later on a “J” or earlier unit.

That could be why the dealer was unable to do anything with it. It is a bastard unit, if you will.

PeterC

TDI
Follow Up Questions

I’ve reread the information above a couple times and I’m missing something.
This radio is a “K” version but it has the 4366 software?
Or is it an H version?
But you’re saying that the 4366 cannot be put on the K version, but it is?
The information is right off the screen (I wasn’t able to post the picture).
They put old software on a newer radio?
Thanks for any clarification.
P

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
This radio is a “K” version but it has the 4366 software? Or is it an H version?
Well, according your own message, it is a K (the letter at the end of the part number designates the version).

But you’re saying that the 4366 cannot be put on the K version, but it is?
The information is right off the screen (I wasn’t able to post the picture).
They put old software on a newer radio?
Thanks for any clarification.
P
According to this thread RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread the information I gave you is correct. LokiWolf was (is?) a firmware master on these things.

I'm sorry, I dont know what else to tell you. 4366 should not be in a K version. I wonder... Would you be willing/able to pull the unit out of the dash and see what part number is on the label?

PeterC

TDI
Thanks

I wasn’t sure on the version being designated bu the delivery part number.
They (someone) was able to put 4366 on that radio. Maybe that’s what caused the camera to not work etc.
At this point the dealer has agreed to pay for a radio that is appropriate.
Sounds like the dealership tried to put up to date firmware in this radio which won’t accept it (spinning disc vs ssd).
The part that is frustrating is that they had the car and knew what version was in it but as seems to be the case, nowadays, the go to answer is always update or reboot first.
Oh well.
We’ll see what happens next.

Thanks