Does the mk7 have multiple wheel bearing models?

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Tried to search this, but do our mk7s in North America have multiple wheel bearing models on the front? Basically I'm trying to order wheel bearings off Rock auto and the only FAG bearings available list two brake codes that I don't see in my manual.

Also, while I'm leaning towards FAG bearings, are the other brands better?

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Awesome! Last question for whoever; can the front bearing be changed without undoing the ball joint and if not, do you need an alignment after?

FJBGTD

TDI
Golf GTD
You will need to remove the driveshaft from the hub. To get enough room to get it out, undo the 3 nuts that hold the ball joint to the lower control arm, you don't need to remove the ball joint from the hub assembly. You are meant to replace the 3 nuts as they are one time use, but I just use blue Loctite instead. You will not need an alignment.

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
Thanks folks, will have to do it myself as dealer is quoting $1550 CAD for both sides... for $200 and a little more in some new tools, I can change both sides and learn something.

Also, hey Idparts, just got my timing belt from your shop, thanks!

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
The model i'm looking at seems to be specified for my exact model year though... no mention of hub diameter but any google search shows it's the one for the mk7s, am i missing something?

More Information for FAG WH61098K (rockauto.com)
these sites almost all show the same thing that everything is compatible, but your car has a 80mm hub as far as I know, GTIs have 85mm, go HERE and plug your information in and see which one is for your car.
assuming you have the 2015 golf TDI it should be THIS

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I have wondered where that measurement is taken. I understand the reasons for a larger/heavier duty bearing (the 85mm bearing is used from GTI/All-track right up through the Atlas). But I do wonder if it doesn't have the same mounting and same "axle mounting" as the 80mm.

I replaced a bearing on my car, then replaced my steel knuckles with GTI knuckles (and bought new bearings). I'm pretty sure I bought the bearings from FCP and I think they specified the same ones.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
I have wondered where that measurement is taken. I understand the reasons for a larger/heavier duty bearing (the 85mm bearing is used from GTI/All-track right up through the Atlas). But I do wonder if it doesn't have the same mounting and same "axle mounting" as the 80mm.

I replaced a bearing on my car, then replaced my steel knuckles with GTI knuckles (and bought new bearings). I'm pretty sure I bought the bearings from FCP and I think they specified the same ones.
its the inside diameter of the hub bore where the bearing assembly goes, GTI knuckle like pictured below is alloy, I believe these are with the 85mm hole, the cast iron one is with 80mm

FJBGTD

TDI
Golf GTD
You can identify the part number you need from the PR Number, it is found in the service book that came with your car.

Part Number, Size, PR Number
8V0 498 625 wheel bearing with assembly parts 80mm 1ZE,1ZP
8V0 498 625 A wheel bearing with assembly parts 85mm 1ZA,1ZB, 1ZD
8V0 498 625 B wheel bearing with assembly parts 80mm 1ZF

The above parts are for European cars, you can look your country PR numbers up at https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/

Last edited:

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
When I’ve done front wheel bearings, no matter how hard I tried to keep everything in alignment, I still needed an alignment. The tiniest change apparently makes a huge different in what you feel at the steering wheel.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
@bmwM5power I gotcha, didn't even think to measure anything when doing my suspension work. And yes, the GTI knuckles are aluminum (and take 55mm struts, which is why I switched to them).

In any case, I did check my old FCP Euro orders and when replacing the bearing on my steel knuckle I ordered PN 8V0 498 625
and
When I replaced the bearings on the GTI knuckles I ordered PN 8V0 498 625 A

Turns out I ordered the right things and forgot about the A on the part number :LOL:. Sometimes you surprise yourself.