Does anyone have VWR Springs?

thecause17

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red TDi DSG
Does anyone have VW DG Springs?

I've gotten tired of the huge 2"+ wheel gap my car has and I want to start piecing together a new suspension setup for my car. I really have a lot of interest in VW DG springs as they're spring rates are conservative and I want to maintain a near to stock ride quality, but get an improvement in handling and drop the car an inch or so in the process. I can't see to find a ton of info from people who have these, and I dunno if that's because most of the people here and other forums want that slammed/stanced look and overlook a product like this, or don't worry about the ride quality and go with other aftermarket choices.

Does anyone have these springs and if so can you post pics of your car so I can get a true idea of what the drop is like and please give your opinion of the ride quality as compared to the stock ride quality. My car has about 62k miles on it, and while that's not high by any means I'd be willing to bet that my stock/struts are past their prime. I'm entertaining the idea of using these springs with a stock replacement as they are designed to work with, or going with a stock replacement for a GTI/GLI to get a slight increase in dampening, and then maybe pairing that with matching sway bars. I think if I go with an aftermarket strut/shock combo it's going to be too much dampening. I drive this car on 700 mile round trips and while a stiff ride doesn't bother me personally, I have a wife and kids that it will be a problem for I'm sure. I'm looking for a the best compromise I can find, leaning heavily to the ride quality side of it.

Last edited:

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
Our USA MY06 Jetta 1.9 TDI has the VW DriversGear lowering springs, made by Eibach, since day one. The USA ride height is dropped by about 1.25" .
Noticeably less body roll with a compliant ride, never stiff, yet nice control for the street. The TDI rolled off the new car delivery truck and seconds later the VW/Eibach springs were installed by the Dealership; the OE Sachs struts and rear dampers were utilized. Recently at 100K miles the Sachs units were replaced by Bilstein HD units. The Sachs units were not leaking or in need of replacement, only time for a higher performance strut/damper than OE.

When you call out VWR springs? Are these the USA "Golf R" springs?

PS. The USA VW/Eibach DriversGear lowering spring set is basically the German market springs found on a MkV GLI sedan. I live here and in Germany.

Last edited:

thecause17

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red TDi DSG
When you call out VWR springs? Are these the USA "Golf R" springs?

PS. The USA VW/Eibach DriversGear lowering spring set is basically the German market springs found on a MkV GLI sedan. I live here and in Germany.
I'm not sure what is coming on the Golf R. I am speaking of the factory sport springs being sold by VW.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_V--TDI/Suspension/Springs/OEM/ES323018/

I think my plan at this point is to go ahead and pull the trigger and get a set. I will completely replace the front components as I'd rather just do this once. The rear I may leave the original stock shocks in place for the time being since I am sort of on a budget and since I planned on using a stock replacement anyway it shouldn't be an issue right now. If I inspect them and they need replacing then I'll do it. The front struts I don't want to do twice and I can't afford to have the car down anyway, so I will just build complete units for there, which will speed up my install time. I've heard nothing but good things about these springs from those who aren't looking to slam their car. I don't plan on tracking this car, and if I do it'll only be an amateur autocross event or something where all I'm doing is having fun. These should fit the bill just fine.

Last edited:

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay.
VWR springs are APR authored units.
DriversGear springs are VW authored units. Got it.

For what its worth, the blue Volkswagen DriversGear/Eibach springs shown in the above link look the same or similar to the ones on my MkV DSG TDI. I'll check the part number.

Couldn't be more pleased with the DG springs for a daily driver MkV.

Last edited:

thecause17

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red TDi DSG
Okay.
VWR springs are APR authored units.
DriversGear springs are VW authored units. Got it.

For what its worth, the blue Volkswagen DriversGear/Eibach springs shown in the above link look them same or similar to the ones on my MkV DSG TDI. I'll check the part number.

Couldn't be more pleased with the DG springs for a daily driver MkV.
Ah ok, I was misunderstanding that there was a differentiation between VWR and DG. Thanks for the clarification. Do you have any pics of your TDI, I'm curious of how it looks with these springs.

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you have any pics of your TDI, I'm curious of how it looks with these springs.
I do, gimme a minute to source the Jetta the VW/DriversGear spring set pic's.

As for dampers, a strong buy recommendation is the newer Koni FSD model/type mouse trap. There are plenty of rave reviews from MkV GTI/GLI owners here and on other VW websites. Do keep in mind, the OE Sach units work pretty well when coupled with the DG spring set. Now,, at the age of our MkV chassis cars maybe its time to renew the dampers .... I did with a local's donated set of Bilsteins HD from a storm damaged 2012 MkVI Golf GTI.

The Porsche guy's over at Rennlist.com overwhelmingly call out the Koni FSD strut/shock when renewing the 911 (993) coupe. I'm a MY98 911 (993) coupe owner since new and when time it'll be the Koni FSDs. Having driven both MkV's and 933s fitted with Koni FSD ... they're a buy.

Last edited:

thecause17

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red TDi DSG
I do, gimme a minute to source the Jetta the VW/DriversGear spring set pic's.

As for dampers, a strong buy recommendation is the newer Koni FSD model/type mouse trap. There are plenty of rave reviews from MkV GTI/GLI owners here and on other VW websites. Do keep in mind, the OE Sach units work pretty well when coupled with the DG spring set. Now,, at the age of our MkV chassis cars maybe its time to renew the dampers .... I did with a Local's donated set of Bilsteins HD.

The Porsche guy's over at Rennlist.com overwhelmingly call out the Koni FSD strut/shock when renewing the 911 (993) coupe. I'm a MY98 911 (993) coupe owner since new and when time it'll be the Koni FSDs. Having driven both MkV's and 933s fitted with Koni FSD ... they're a buy.
Thanks for the recommendation, those have been a consideration of mine as well.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Bilsteins HD

how do you like these?

I am thinking of doing the dampers and mounts on my 09 with 120K plus.

seems to me the high speed damping is not there (feel each bump) but the low seems ok, (no exess dip or bounce at stop or from sharp lane change)

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
Bilsteins HD

how do you like these?

I am thinking of doing the dampers and mounts on my 09 with 120K plus.
I do like the Bilsteins B6 (HD) as paired with the VW/Eibach DriversGear lowering spring set. - I would buy them again!
The DG spring set lower's the ride height of the USA MkV Jetta 1 inch or so, and in the process firm's up the body movement/suspension slightly.

These donor Bilsteins notably were removed from a 2012 MkVI GTI that had a mighty oak tree fall on it; A complete total. The donor dampers were about 2 months/3,000 miles old. This MkVI application Bilstein strut/shock set is valve'd differently (softer) from the MkV application. Same strut/shocks basically ... valve-d slightly softer.

I'm told the MkV chassis (USA MY'05.5 to '09) application Bilstein B6 (HD) is a HARSH ride. As a premium quality street strut/shock application, HARSH doesn't get it. My $.02

The California based firm Neuspeed knows the Bilstein fitment/application dope; http://www.neuspeed.com/home.aspx

PS. We installed a JDM sourced Bilstein BTS spring/strut/shock kit on our MY05 Subaru Outback XT for 5 years now. This transformed the Outback XT ride character into a poor man's Audi S4 kombi. The BTS kit has excellent quality and is thoroughly engineered!
Many an Outback XT owner has since followed the BTS suit,,, and it doesn't come cheap $ as the Japan domestic market is the sole source.

Last edited: