does a 1Z motor need a speed sensor connected to stay out of limp mode?

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
Hi All

I have a 1Z motor transplanted into a syncro Westy, and the installer (the PO) did not a the speed sensor. If theres no cruise control, is it needed for the management system to stay out of limp mode? I get full power/boost for a short while, then it drops into limp mode, and I get about 30% less power, and limited boost pressure

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
What ECU are you using?

As far as I know the early computers don't care if the vehicle speed signal is missing. Did they also not wire up the clutch switch? Having that makes shifting a lot smoother.

-J

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
Hey thanks for the reply,

I did not see any switch on the clutch. My ECU was out of a 97 Jetta, and ends with the letter code ED.There are Upsolute low-smoke chips for 110hp and 175ft lbs torque that were added by the previous owner.

I will do some more research and see if I can come up with The fault codes that are being triggered.

Thanks again
Steve

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
I'd recommend you install the clutch switch. Use a VW specific scan tool, not a generic OBD reader, to pull the fault codes.

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
I still have not had a chance to check fault codes.

What will I gain if I install the clutch switch?

thanks again!
Steve

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
RPMs will drop more quickly when the clutch is in - which makes it easier to shift faster, and puts less wear on the trans syncros.

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
hmmm... the RPMs seem to drop properly. I don't notice any issue in that happening, (Maybe I DO have a clutch swich)

regards
Steve