Dodge Dakota Quad 4X4 ALH

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
Good to know on the reset while rolling. :)

Just loaded a tune revision on the drive home I can already tell its better. Ill report back results.

In the mean time I did slap together a cold air pipe. Dropped intake temps down 5*F when at full operating temp.

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
Not much to update other truck is running great. Tune is much better in terms of random overboost. I can still make it do it if I drive really really angry. Ill revisit this when I put a bigger intercooler on.

It is starting to get cold so I finally hooked up the glow plugs. Just setup a relay and momentary switch. Also made my own harness.

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
4.56 gears are installed. Massive improvement. No lugging at all now and I can now use 5th gear. Next up bumper fab for tire clearance and big FMIC. The goal is to be 10*F above ambient at operating temps.

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
Merry Christmas and Happy new year all!

CAD bumper design has started.

Doing work pic. 2 post lift on steel trailer about 6000lbs total.

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
Looks like I need to make a keystone from what I have been reading. I noticed MPG dropped a tiny bit and just thought it was my heavy foot and winter temps also it was slightly falling on its face over 3K rpm.

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
Ah,never knew such a thing existed,that is a great piece of hard to find info.
Did you notice a smelly exhaust? Trying to figure out why my exhaust has
no smoke whatsoever but stinks bad,never did for the first 6 months or so.

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
Ah,never knew such a thing existed,that is a great piece of hard to find info.
Did you notice a smelly exhaust? Trying to figure out why my exhaust has
no smoke whatsoever but stinks bad,never did for the first 6 months or so.
Smell like unburnt fuel smell? Or like microbs in the fuel burning up smell? You may need to treat your tank if you have some very old diesel in there or any bio-mix stuff if you run that. I always run straight diesel. I have essentially a straight pipe so I get a slight smell at start up and then nothing unless your standing 5 feet from the tail pipe. And its what you would expect.

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
The valve could be the issue. I would pull the valve and keystone it no matter what. Some guys were reporting that it backing out just 2mm was affecting timing.

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
So I have just been driving the wheels off this thing with no issues. Just oil changes and it keeps rolling.

Finally got my MIG back and found some time to start knocking out a few things that need addressing.

Ran the PCV to the downpipe finally as it was going to the filtered side of the airbox.

Next after much back and forth I have decided against my original plan to build a bumper to make room for a much larger intercooler and instead picked up an extra upper radiator support and will push the stock dodge setup back 2 inches. Intercooler should be here next week but finding time to fab is the hardest thing at the moment.

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
Found some time today to set the new intercooler in its spot.
Moved the radiator back 3 inches.

Still need to make a few more pipes but some progress at least.

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
Got the pipes all welded up. Man not sure how I survived before without a tig. Ignore the ugly and just know that nothing leaks. ;)

Also developed a massive oil leak that I thought was due to my PCV mod but just turned out to be a vac pump that needed reseal

Its all back together and its in there straight but sits to the drivers side by 3/4 inch making it look crooked at some angles. Again function over form here. Also installed a new radiator and condensor as the originals where beat up. Bonus the new radiator is for an automatic so its twice as thick and I am gonna try to use the internal tranny cooler as an extra oil cooler.

The verdict. Temps are now 8 degrees F above ambient! A massive improvement and No heat soak at all.

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
Yea Zook I just hooked up the oil cooler and now coolant warms up a bit quicker but most importantly is water temp stays cooler by 4 degrees. never goes over 201F now on the hwy which is where the heaviest load is for this setup. I have no thermo control for the added oil cooler but we will see how it behaves when it gets cold to see if I need to one.

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
Added some cold weather prep for these brutal SC winters.;) Main goal is to keep my FE during cold snaps.

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
Small update. The NV3500 started to eat itself and after a few months of driving with it progressively getting harder to shift everything on the input shaft I yanked it and threw in a spare. I also resealed the pump as it was making a mess when cold and shut down. This motor and pump have over 230k miles on them and just over 60K of that is pushing this truck around. I am working on building a compound setup but its slow going and it runs great I kinda dont want to mess with it.

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
Does great. I think that 4.3 powered sting ray on trailer is in the sub 4000lbs range. Ill probably have it in the water this weekend.

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
I meant to post this last month but the fuel savings alone have paid for this swap as of February. It took 4 years to get there.

Now taking that savings and blowing it on a cheap SAS swap. should maintain the FE with unlock-able hubs and most importantly ball joints that dont die every other oil change.

xerootg

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf Sportwagen, BHW Jeep XJ
That's great man! I've been getting about 32mpg in mine, I expect your getting about the same?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
That's great man! I've been getting about 32mpg in mine, I expect your getting about the same?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I suspect your a little lighter than me. Im getting between 29.5 and 28mpg average tanks. Not bad for 4600lbs with a full tank.

fjdiesel

TDI
76 fj40 w/05 LIberty CRD 2.8L diesel
Motohead1 just read your build. Awsome job.

What are you using to read intake temps? I would like to see how efficient my fmic is..
And what size is your intercooler?
Thanks

Motohead1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 bug+telephone pole
Motohead1 just read your build. Awsome job.

What are you using to read intake temps? I would like to see how efficient my fmic is..
And what size is your intercooler?
Thanks

Intake temp is from the Map sensor stuck right in the PD150. I have a BRM to put on but just havent had time.

Intercooler is a huge CXracing 29"x11"x3". Bar and plate. Its way overkill and probably slowed spool by 100 rpm but it worth it for my future plans.

fjdiesel

TDI
76 fj40 w/05 LIberty CRD 2.8L diesel
Thanks. I thought it did. But wasn't 100% sure. The BRM intake has been on my list as well since I saw Malone do some flow tests.