Do you use B5-B20 in your DPF car?

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I was wondering if it is best to avoid using bio-mixed fuel in the late model DPF TDI? It's sometimes hard to find diesel that doesn't contain at least 5% and I have noticed up to 20% at some pumps. I know Mercedes blames it for damaging their fuel systems and is one of the reasons they chose to pull their diesel lineup from the US market.

CrazyMonkey

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI SE 6M
The owner's manual states that up to 5% biodiesel is okay and that they will honor the warranty up to 20% if that's the only thing available in your area. Around here, all that is available is 5% or 20%. I have yet to find straight diesel, even at the truck stops (although I did find some on a road trip through Utah). I stick to the 5%.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Also lots of stations have the B5 label as a catch all and if you read it'll state up to 5%, not guaranteed 5%.

I believe Illinois is the only state that has mandated B20 at all pumps.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I couldnt imagine how bio at such a low content could do any damage to the fuel system. Its lubricating properties are superior to straight D2. I would think its benificial.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Also lots of stations have the B5 label as a catch all and if you read it'll state up to 5%, not guaranteed 5%.

I believe Illinois is the only state that has mandated B20 at all pumps.
That is what I figured as well. The sticker is on Quick Trip pumps and Safeway (not sure if Safeway is B20, it used to be) but I didn't see the sticker on the Circle K pumps or the Shell pumps here.

sprstu

Veteran Member
TDI
mk1 TD, GSW TDI 6spd
Minneapolis is all B10 now and if it has been made well the Bio should be a benefit to the system. The only thing it could harm is if you have a much older diesel with lots of buildup in the system the Bio will loosen that and possibly clog lines and injectors.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I couldn't imagine how bio at such a low content could do any damage to the fuel system. Its lubricating properties are superior to straight D2. I would think its beneficial.
I had an injector plug up in my '09 TDI. Just under 100k on the odometer. The biodiesel is a longer chain of stuff, so is a good lubricant, but also plugs up more easily, especially under heat. My TDI guru told me to go back to petrodiesel. Since I sold back the '09 to VW and now drive a '15, I only use the biodiesel a couple of times a year.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I had an injector plug up in my '09 TDI. Just under 100k on the odometer.
Out of curiosity, What blend of biodiesel were you using?

I had a 2009 from late 2008 - late 2012 and used B20 until I traded it in towards my 2013 Passat.

Granted, it had 60k when I traded it, but if you were running B100 I could see that being the cause of your problem.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have used up to B20 since 2012 on my 2013 Passat and now my 2015 Beetle. No issues ever. I have no idea what actual percent as it only says up to 20%. So it could be anywhere from none to 20%. B100 is almost non existent here now so no worries there.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Out of curiosity, What blend of biodiesel were you using?
I had a 2009 from late 2008 - late 2012 and used B20 until I traded it in towards my 2013 Passat.
Granted, it had 60k when I traded it, but if you were running B100 I could see that being the cause of your problem.
The sicker said 5%, and the receipt said 10%. I suspect it varied from 2 to a bit under 10%. Be aware also, that in Alaska, the anti-gel additives add to the complexity. We run basically D1 with additives for about half of the year. It'
s akin to jet fuel in many ways, I've been told.