Do You Need Re-Alignment after Changing Struts?

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Do I Need to Re-Align after Changing Struts (and rear shocks)?

Reading the manual there are three adjustments: -Toe; -Camber; -Castor

- Toe is adjustable, with tie rod end. The struts could have changed toe slightly?
There is slight play in the lower ball joint to control arm. There is slight play in
upper strut mount. I used witness marks made by bolts to locate upper strut mount....

- Camber is not adjustable according to manual and says "but can be balanced
side to side by sliding the sub frame left and right." I don't think struts effect this.

- Caster is also not adjustable and no other option available, it is fixed.

Comments? $80 to check tow alignment? Have not driven much since struts installed
today, but it seems to be a delight, tracks straight as it always has. I'll know more
tomorrow when I drive to work.

Related threads:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=468457
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=470098

Last edited:

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
If you lowered it, there is a slight change in toe throughout the suspension cycle. It puts it in a different position in the cycle. It may not be much. Just monitor your tire wear if it tracks straight. You can also check toe with a tape measure. Measure the front and back of your tires side to side. If your steering wheel is straight while driving.....it's probably real close.

Donald

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Absolutely have it aligned. When you replace struts in these cars they don't necessarily bolt up exactly the same as the ones you removed. Even if the car drives OK it probably needs one. Better than killing your tires.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
I guess the pro suggests paying $80 to set the toe. Even if the camber and caster is off, they won't touch it.

Donald

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Toe is adjustable front and rear in the JSW, if I'm not mistaken. And camber can be adjusted slightly by moving the ball joints. It can also be equalized left to right by shifting the subframe. Some shops are reluctant to do that, so be sure you find one that will.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Thanks for all the replies... Appreciate it... :)

Drove my car more today, and it feels so nice. :D

Steering wheel centered, tracks straight like it's on rails, fantastic. Steering seems lighter?

The best rated (google) alignment place nearby said they'd charge $35 to just check. At least I will know.

I could DIY check toe with a string and tape measure technique, but not sure how accurate that will be.

For $35 at least I will know.

Last edited: