Do I need VCDS?

Dschaffer

TDI
Jetta
Hello all,
Do I need VCDS and if so, what version? I recently purchased a 2003 Jetta wagon tdi (5 speed) and it has a leak from the quantity adjuster seal. From what I have gathered so far, it appears to be a pretty simple repair with the exception of getting the IQ numbers correct. Is there a way to do this without VCDS? If not, what windows program do I need (I am a Mac user) and what version of the VCDS will allow me to complete the project? If need be, I will purchase a cheep laptop for the “garage”, or maybe find an old used one that has a version of Windows that would work? Unless there is another way to do it?
Thanks

yeeet

TDI
golf mk4 110
Regardless if you can do it with or without VCDS, I always say to everyone who has these cars that vcds is a must-have.
It saves so much trouble, and you can do some cool stuff to your car (nothing much though)

Dschaffer

TDI
Jetta
Regardless if you can do it with or without VCDS, I always say to everyone who has these cars that vcds is a must-have.
It saves so much trouble, and you can do some cool stuff to your car (nothing much though)
A must have in my opinion
I saved $135 just today alone
It more than pays for itself
Ok. So based on my described situation above, what are the best/cost effective options? Thanks

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
We have kits from $199 up to $1299. Same fault codes and live data regardless of the price point you go with since it is the same piece of software (VCDS)... what you get from VCDS is really a matter of what did the Germans (your car) give you. :)

Our $199 kit is the HEX-V2 with 3VINs. Or the HEX-V2 10VIN for $299. Info on the VIN Limits here. If you are just working on 1 or 2 cars, then our $199 kit is all you need. With the average labor rate for automotive repair greater than $100 per hour, you don't have to do much with VCDS to get your investment back.

If you have any pre sales questions, give us a call. Contact page here.

Dschaffer

TDI
Jetta
We have kits from $199 up to $1299. Same fault codes and live data regardless of the price point you go with since it is the same piece of software (VCDS)... what you get from VCDS is really a matter of what did the Germans (your car) give you. :)

Our $199 kit is the HEX-V2 with 3VINs. Or the HEX-V2 10VIN for $299. Info on the VIN Limits here. If you are just working on 1 or 2 cars, then our $199 kit is all you need. With the average labor rate for automotive repair greater than $100 per hour, you don't have to do much with VCDS to get your investment back.

If you have any pre sales questions, give us a call. Contact page here.
Thanks. I actually ordered your VCDS Mobile with HEX-NET but was advised by your crew that it would not display the timing so I had to cancel the order. I ended up ordering the HEX-V2 and will be looking to purchase a cheap windows laptop so I can make it work.
Thank you for your reply!

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Dshaffer,
Good choice on the cable, pick up a cheap window laptop on Ebay, I find the Dell Latitudes are excellent and durable.
For < $100 you'll find a nice one. Once you learn how to use VCDS a bit, you'll never leave home without it. :)