Do I need to buy a TDI touareg by late Oct?

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
In this article: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...llect-1-85-million-owners-flock-buyout-offer/

near the end it mentions that if a fix for 3.0 tdis isn't available by late october buyback is their only option.

Does this mean all of the touaregs will disappear from the used market in Nov? Or prices will shoot up in anticipation of buyback? I wasn't looking at the 2.0 used market in this time period.. is that what happened?

I planned to buy a 13-14 TDI touareg shortly after selling back my Jetta. If fix money comes along, cool.. but it wasn't part of the equation. I just like the vehicle, engine, and price. Yes, I'm aware of the potential long-term titling issues in some states, but where I live it wouldn't be a problem.

Curious whether you guys have any insight. Should I jump on one now in anticipation of the market tightening up?

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
All I know is, you cannot buy one from a VW dealer. But you can buy one privately, or from a non VW dealer, such as Carmax. In fact, there are a couple of TDI Toureags on Carmax right now.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Yeah, I didn't see any on CarMax for months and was assuming they weren't taking the risk, as a matter of policy.

But then one popped up today..

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
I'm betting on a satisfactory fix for the 3.0 TDIs. I bought one and like it. I don't want to allow VWAG to buy it back or, for that matter, tamper with it.

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
VW is required to submit a fix for some of the 3.0s to the EPA on Oct. 24th with the status hearing on Nov. 3rd. At that status hearing, the court will want to know how the EPA's 3.0 testing is going in addition to how the "Plan B" is developing. That "Plan B" would be a settlement/buyback like the 2.0. If the fix isn't going well, the court is going to really push a settlement.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
VW is required to submit a fix for some of the 3.0s to the EPA on Oct. 24th with the status hearing on Nov. 3rd. At that status hearing, the court will want to know how the EPA's 3.0 testing is going in addition to how the "Plan B" is developing. That "Plan B" would be a settlement/buyback like the 2.0. If the fix isn't going well, the court is going to really push a settlement.
Ahhh.. so the question is more along the lines of whether or not vw can accomplish a 3.0 fix via recall/service, or be forced to do a settlement similar to what is happening with 2.0 cars?

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
I think the question is more about whether you'd be okay with a "fixed" 3.0. If they come up with a fix in time, it'll just be a recall and you won't get any restitution, but you might end up with worse performance and efficiency.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
The plan would be eventual DPF/egr/DEF delete for reliability, which would require a tune.. so ultimately I'm not too worried with reduced efficiency/performance from VW.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
If VW doesn't offer restitution dealers may have a hard time locating many 3.0 liter TDIs in states not dominated by EPA rules.

No smog testing where I live.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
My wife wants to move from her '12 Touareg TDI to a Lexus CT200H.

The Touareg is just too much vehicle for her...way overkill.

But it is tough making a move, while in "limbo-land".

Hope we have something concrete to move on, by the end of the calendar year...but not holding our breath.

Tim

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
My wife wants to move from her '12 Touareg TDI to a Lexus CT200H.

The Touareg is just too much vehicle for her...way overkill.

But it is tough making a move, while in "limbo-land".

Hope we have something concrete to move on, by the end of the calendar year...but not holding our breath.

Tim
If your wife's Touareg is reasonably well maintained and doesn't have too many miles it should be easy to sell. VW/Audi/Porsche 3.0 TDIs are great cars. I've seen discussions recently here and on Audizine by some searching to buy one when they give up their VW 2.0 TDI.

Last edited:

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
If your wife's Toureg is reasonably well maintained and doesn't have too many miles it should be easy to sell. VW/Audi/Porsche 3.0 TDIs are great cars. I've seen discussions recently here and on Audizine by some searching to buy one when they give up their VW 2.0 TDI.
Selling will be the easy part.

Choosing the optimal time to sell is less clear, due to the uncertainties related to dieselgate.

Her Touareg has 5 years and 48k miles of Fidelity Platinum warranty left, in addition to being a garage queen.

Tim

saggii

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer - Jetta(s), A6
Selling will be the easy part.
Choosing the optimal time to sell is less clear, due to the uncertainties related to dieselgate.
Her Touareg has 5 years and 48k miles of Fidelity Platinum warranty left, in addition to being a garage queen.
Tim
In your position, I would drag the queen for few months to see if VW comes close to settlement. Don't make the same mistake as others did i.e. selling 2.0 just after dieselgate came to light and losing out on some of the benefits.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
Tim
You can cancel the Fidelity warranty and get a pro-rated amount back (based on mileage when you took delivery / day 0)