do I need tires yet?

cmarcho

TDI
2015 Corvette Z51 7spd / 2016 ATS-V (was '13 passat sel)
'13 Passat TDI SEL, we have 50k on original tires, but they still look great and have right at 5/32 on them

It's the wife's car, and she wants to sell it back as soon as that is an option. If the earliest that can happen is October, then we've still got several months and thousands of miles to go.

What would you do? I feel they might last a while, but they are getting to the point where I would rather start looking to get new tires, especially since my wife drives it a lot and with our teenage kids.

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I held off on tires until about 82-83k

If you're down to the wear indicators then you have to do what's best for you.

I did run mine into the ground, though. I used my "good will" $500 to buy new tires.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
As stated above, I would hold off at least until tread depth hits the wear bars. Considering your plans, I would hold off as long as possible.
However, you (or your wife) should keep some things in mind. The less tread you have (the balder the tires) it is actually good for dry road handling and safety. The problem can be when dealing with wet roads (and Texas has been in the news lately). The "balder" your tires are the easier it is to hydroplane. When driving through water (even just wet roads), this can be dangerous. This is probably not a big issue (yet), but it is something the driver should consider when deciding how fast to drive when it is wet.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Safety first. If you're even asking the question, replace the tires.

Buyback is way off...

My opinion, of course. I just don't mess around with tires...or brakes...or batteries. All need to be functioning at 100%.

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
I don't regret putting Michelins on my Passat. Handling and ride vastly improved not to mention much safer. 5/32 would be close enough for me.

Dcwhybrew

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Ditto on replacing the tire. September, from what I have read, will be the earliest that the buy back or payment will start. I am sure that is subject to change. I have to replace my tires too, unfortunately.

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE w sunroof buyback 3/18/17
I put a new set of pirrelli p7+ mine a month back. Kept the old set so if it does go back the old ones will go back on for the trip back to the dealer.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
If you're not on the wear bars at this time of year, drive it— but beware of hydroplaning!
If there's still no way to turn it in and Winter weather comes, replace them and chalk it up to bad luck.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
The OEM tires didn't last long on our 13 Passat. It's at 53k miles and on its third set of tires. It's had alignment issues since it was purchased. It pulls to the right on the interstate. I have three friends with the same model Passat and there's do it too. I've had it aligned many times at the dealership and local shops. They all say that it's good.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Many "OEM spec" alignments have a very slight tendency to pull right....So if you let go of the steering wheel or otherwise don't pay attention you end up in the ditch, rather head on going into oncoming traffic....

To the op...
I bet 1/32-3-32 of treadwise you have left will unlikely be enough ....
So you could try....and know you might need too toss a set on for a short time, ot buy them now, and enjoy the safety of a new deep tread for several months...
Not all choices are $$$, I just remember..."happy wife, happy life"...if she hydroplanes into a ditch...she won't be nappy....or has a flat.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
The OEM tires didn't last long on our 13 Passat. It's at 53k miles and on its third set of tires. It's had alignment issues since it was purchased. It pulls to the right on the interstate. I have three friends with the same model Passat and there's do it too. I've had it aligned many times at the dealership and local shops. They all say that it's good.
Find a tire place with a Hunter GSP 9700 balancer with the straightrak option. Tell them you want them to position the tires on the car with a slight bias to the left to counteract the road crown.

You can do it yourself, but the process of trial and error can be rather laborious.

Rotation will then mess it up, of course. My fronts are labelled LF and RF with red paint, just in case.

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I put a new set of pirrelli p7+ mine a month back. Kept the old set so if it does go back the old ones will go back on for the trip back to the dealer.
This is what I was thinking, if you are concerned about the tires safety. Sell the new ones or put them on a new ride.

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
5/32nds is fine. Not as good as new, but if you don't drive 75 in a downpour.

The old saying is 2/32nd but that was always a bit scary for me. 3/32-4/32 is about when I start looking.

Granted one tire design vs another may be totally different at 4/32nds

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
So if you've had car for 36 months and burned 6/32nds off that's 1/32nd every 6 months.

If buyback occurs within 6 months you'd be at or above 4/32

Of course now that you've asked you have to buy new tires as if she slides and something bad happens it's cuz you jinxed yourself.

CNYTDi

TDI
2013 Passat TDi SEL
How many miles do you ave per month on car? 5/32 is getting low, but still above the wearbars as already mentioned. Living in Texas and still have the summer to go thru till VW announces their next step, I would opt for some plain 'ol cheap set of summer tires. At the very least, you'll have good tread depth for rain. I just replaced out factory tires in early June at 75K. They didn't see the full 75 K as I switch them out for snow tires in the winter, so they probly saw 50K +/-. Hate to get rid of car w/ new tires, but being it's out of warranty, it could be a hefty repair bill. Wife ironically says she'd be happy w/ a gasser Passat as long as it has what she has now on it.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Pull or drifing can be easily solved, particularly if you plan on replacing tires. If you refer to my posting re setting both front and rear to zero toe.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
What tires do you have? If they're the Hankook's I can answer yes without knowing the tread depth as they're horrible from new :rolleyes:

-J