DMV Registration for a Gas to Diesel Conversion in North Carolina (NC)

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I finally titled and registered my 2nd tdi rado at DMV today. The supervisor had to be called over and I explained what I was doing and since the car had never been registered it was a simple letter change on the new title. She explained to me that if the car was already titled/registered in the state they would need an inspection and then involve the DMV headquaters in Raleigh to change the title and registration.

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
That's similar to my experience in MA. No prior state recording as gas powered (former NH reg), a simple change of one tick mark on the form, and I was done.

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
I was going to put up a ? about this. I want to do a diesel swap on my Wrangler and I know I have to go with a 04-later model, but wasent sure how they would take it.

When we register here they have a check box for fuel type, but when the vehicle is inspected they use the vehicles vin.... that could spell trouble in the future bu IDK...

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
G60ING said:
I finally titled and registered my 2nd tdi rado at DMV today. The supervisor had to be called over and I explained what I was doing and since the car had never been registered it was a simple letter change on the new title. She explained to me that if the car was already titled/registered in the state they would need an inspection and then involve the DMV headquarters in Raleigh to change the title and registration.
That is something a lot of us ran into in the late 80s early 90s . If you want to do a conversion best to find an out of state car never registered in NC and convert it . I pick up stuff in Colorado and bring it back to NC to get around this issue .

Spulen81

Veteran Member
When I did mine in NY there wasn't and issue. I registered it as a gas originally and then went back and changed it with a title change form. They issued a diesel registration on the spot.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
onlyn8v said:
When we register here they have a check box for fuel type, but when the vehicle is inspected they use the vehicles vin.... that could spell trouble in the future bu IDK...
The VIN is used to look up the information previously entered by the state's vehicle registry employees on the state's (or a prior state's) data base. It does not connect to the vehicle manufacturer's files or information.
Additionally the VIN does not have a character code for "fuel type". There a character to identify which engine option was originally installed, but that same character in the same position on vehicles made by the same manufacturer, in the same model year, can signify anything.
In 2004 VW used a code of "H" in the fifth location of the VIN to signify:
the 2.8 liter VR6
the 2.8 liter V6
the 6.0 liter W12
the 5.0 liter V10
Pick one....

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
I'm wondering what will happen here in CO... In metro Denver, diesels and gassers both have to pass emissions, but they are separate. (Diesel emissions places only do diesels.) I wonder what will happen when I roll up to a diesel emissions stand in a converted gasser? I did some research on the DMV site dealing with hot rods, which is pretty close to what we're doing. (350 Chevy in '32 Ford Roadster...) I've got to get plates for my Jetta soon, so I'll ask there. I don't have high hopes of them having a clue, however... Sure would hate to go through all the work of a swap, and find out it won't be street legal in my state!

JGWarner

TDI
'88 VW Fox Wagon (1.6TD swap soon)
I was wondering about this, but I'm thinking I'll leave well enough alone. I'm swapping a 1.6TD into an '88 Fox. This year will be my very last emissions test here in CT, so I'll just wait 'til after the test then who cares? No one from the state will be looking at my engine ever again.

heck my emissions will be better for the environment and my fuel economy will nearly double. My conscience is clear.

c2020again

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Has anyone ever done the chain of paperwork through the NC DMV when converting a vehicle already registered in NC? My son in law has a Toyota Tundra with a bad engine soooo you all know what I've been thinking!

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I have thought about doing a swap as well, from what I have found, in PA the vehicle has to originally been built with a diesel engine to be "legal".

That limits my options, and I could get an 84, 85 ranger and put a TDI in it, but not a newer one.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Has anyone ever done the chain of paperwork through the NC DMV when converting a vehicle already registered in NC? My son in law has a Toyota Tundra with a bad engine soooo you all know what I've been thinking!

This is going to be a nightmare. The original registration in state as a gasser is going to be the real problem to be overcome. To do this you will have to install an equal to or later Model Year diesel drive train. So if it is say a 2006 Toy, the only way I know to do a swap in NC on something that has already been put in the computer as a gasser is to find a 06 or newer TDI-PD or CR complete will all the emissions to drop in.....It will require an operational OBD-II plug if this is the MY. This is a can of worms I really wouldn't want to try to open. You could end up with a really cool and expensive yard ornament...........

As has been said the best way to do this in NC at least is to start with a car or pickup that has never been registered in state...........

c2020again

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I think I should go down to the local "friendly" DMV and see what they tell me. There are two offices within 10 miles of my home and one will frequently do what the other one says can't be done! What Jim did with his (in the thread above) seems logical and if it worked in central NC, it is supposed to work in northeastern NC. Or at least you would think so.