DIY: My $5 MKIV Tablet / iPad Mini Holder

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
Hello fellow members.

I recently bought an Android 7" Tablet to use with Torque Pro, as well as using it for a GPS unit.
The problem was I didn't want the tablet mounted on the windshield or on top of the dash. These types of mounts impede the driver's view too much, and when they're not in, are a bit of an eyesore.
I decided to see if I could make my own "custom" mount. I wanted one that could be easily installed and removed, did not affect my view of the road, and did not alter the stock look or functionality of the dash.

Here's the result...
For less than $5:
- I bought a set of book-ends.
- bent them to the desired shape to fit my tablet.
- added some peel and stick foam strips, these protect the tablet and secure it in place.
- cut some extra "feet" into the book-end foot.
- cut a small notch in my cup-holder central arm.
That's it!
It installs in seconds, holds the tablet securely, does not block my view of the road, and when removed the dash is back to stock.
The cup-holder still works as normal to hold my favourite Tim Horton's.:D
Pics part 1:

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
Pics Part 2

You may have noticed that the one "foot" that sits in the notch that was cut into the cup-holder is very short. I discovered that there is a plunger/rod that travels down the middle of the central cup-holder arm and if this "foot" was too long it would prevent the cup-holder from recessing into the dash. No problem... I cut the foot a bit shorter and problem solved.

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
Found this on the Google, not sure why there are no replies and it's not stickied, but this is a pretty slick solution I think. Thanks for sharing it!

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Found this on the Google, not sure why there are no replies and it's not stickied, but this is a pretty slick solution I think. Thanks for sharing it!
Thanks.... I had forgotten that I'd posted this. There are several things I really like about this simple design:
- the price
- the fact it doesn't block any view of the road
- when in use, it's as easy to reach as the radio
- it' surprisingly very tough, when I'm not using it I just keep it on the floor behind the passenger seat. It's been kicked a few times, but I just straighten it out and it's back to normal.