DIY: DSG Transmission scheduled maintenance (40K miles interval)

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Alright, thanks, that's good to know. I am thinking I may try the Febi Bilstein. Any particular reason why you are planning to switch to OEM?
Mainly because it is available at idparts.com as an option. Their kits used to stock the Febi bilstien but now it is either Liquimoly or OEM. The first kit I ordered from them had 6 liters and you only need 5. I found a vendor to get 4 more to have a whole set for my next change. The Febi bilstien works fine and is reasonable priced. Won't using Liquimoly again, that stuff stinks terrible ugh :(

Marisa05MKIV

TDI
05 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI
Maxlife ATF is in no way anything like the VW fluid specified for the DSG.

in fact, if you look at the application chart, it says go to the VW dealer for the VW part number.

https://www.google.com/search?q=G-052-182-A2&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
I called Royal Purple today and they confirmed with me that there Max Atf is compatible with the 09A tiptronic transmission and even told me that it would take 2.7 quarts for a drain and re-fill and 7 quarts for a complete flush and re-fill. Also comparing the properties to the valvoline maxlife the Royal Purple had better numbers and it also seems that Royal Purple did more extensive testing according to the available info between the two.(sorry this did'nt format out the way I originally typed it) See comparisons below:

MAXLIFE, ROYAL PURPLE
VISCOSITY:
@ 100c 6.11, 7.5
@ 40c 28.18, 35.0
@-40c 8400, 7150

VISCOSITY INDEX: 173, 180

FLASH POINT: 202c, 226c

POUR POINT: -51c, -69f

SPECIFIC GRAVITY:
@ 60F 0.843, 0.84

FIRE: no info, 475f

How does that compare to the NAPA Altrom febi Bilstein numbers?

Flash point [°C] 200 (EN ISO 2592)

Density [g/ml] 0,85 (DIN 51757) (15°C / 59,0°F)

Viscosity 6,5 mm²/s (DIN 51562) (100°C)

or the Mobil Delvac ATF

Technical details

Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 39
cSt @ 100ºC 7.3
Brookfield Viscosity, ASTM D 5293
-cP @ -40ºC 8400
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 168
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -54
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 236
Density @15ºC kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.85
Color Red

Valvoline product support has confirmed their Maxlife ATF is recommended for the Audi/VW 09A, however you can't find a Valvoline shop to change it lol.

When replying, type your text above this line.
The following Incident has been logged with Valvoline Product Support. Please review the information provided, should you need further information or wish to update an open incident, please REPLY to this e-mail or call 1-800-TEAM-VAL.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MaxLife Letter

Thank you,

Valvoline Product Support

Ticket Number: 11-511421

Subject: MaxLife ATF

The incident has been recorded as:

Business:

Customer Name: Consumer Consumer

Customer Phone Number:

Incident Description:

Entered on 05/29/2015 at 20:18:02 EDT (GMT-0400) by Daniel Trost:
Customer requesting equivalent to one of the following specifications below. Provided customer information that Valvoline MaxLife ATF is equivalent and recommended product.

Look under Audi/VW:

http://www.valvoline.com/valint/international/english/static_document/MaxLife_ATF_Rev_2013.08.08.pdf

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
The 09A is not a DSG Have you verified it is in your car by looking at the option codes?

(the 02E, however, is a DSG)

this thread is about the DSG.

Last edited:

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Question. If you only lift the car from the front, will more DSG lube drain out verses lifting all four corners???? I want to get the most out of the DSG as more new in the better!!

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Question. If you only lift the car from the front, will more DSG lube drain out verses lifting all four corners???? I want to get the most out of the DSG as more new in the better!!
Technically, yes, but I wouldn't worry so much about it. You'll have plenty of clean, new oil in here not so sweat the little amount that wouldn't drain. Key is that you have it level for the snorkel to do it's job of properly leveling the fluid amount in the case.

I will consider using Amsoil's DCT for a DGS
I would simply say, it's your $4k error if it causes problem. I'd use the VW/Audi/Febi/Pentosin fluid and not substitute in the DSG. I know Amsoil just rolled out the DCT last year and I suppose, in it's defense, says it meets the OEM spec of TL 521 82, but I think most of us use the VW/Audi//Febi/Pentosin fluids.

waawaaweenie

TDI
06 Beetle DSG
I think if you look, the drain plug is in the rear of the case so it really doesn't matter, it will all drain out, just give it some time to do so.

I will consider using Amsoil's DCT for a DGS
for what the cost is, I would only use time tested lubes in this expensive transmission. I am one to cheap out at times but would kill myself if I destroyed my DSG trying to save a few bucks or being the guinea pig for a new product

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Motul works nicer than oem one, using it on all my dsg cars, pretty happy with it.
I recommend it!

Last edited:

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
I did my DSG service awhile ago
I bought the all the items from a forum member who worked also at a dealship
The entire kit cost me $125 delivered
All genuine VW parts
No regrets spending that money.
I look at it this way, any job that is labor intensive, I don't want to skimp on parts. I don't want to do that labor intensive job twice.

kraftwerkturbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI auto
Output test without oil?

Have codes

17130 - Pressure Control Solenoid 1
P0746 - 012 - Implausible Signal or Stuck Off

Changed out 2 suspected solenoids from other tranny. Before filling with $70 worth of oil, can I run the diagnostic test (engine not running I think) with Vagcom (output test)?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Have codes
Changed out 2 suspected solenoids from other tranny. Before filling with $70 worth of oil, can I run the diagnostic test (engine not running I think) with Vagcom (output test)?
should create your own thread or find one about solenoid replacement. this one is about fluid service. Are you sure the used solenoids were good? I have heard these older dsg's had mechatronics issues. not sire if this is the case here though.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Have codes
you can also check https://www.ross-tech.com/ and search your code. its a short to ground. Trace the wiring from solenoid 1 to unit and the actual solenoid using DVOM.

Verify chassis ground & to main control unit internally.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index..._(DSG/02E). it seems like wires come off the brain in the trans. so its a bad unit. You can try to fix it yourself as this person did https://forums.ross-tech.com/showth...2e-code-hxu-p0746-please-help&highlight=P0746 see post #9 or replace the unit and have it coded.

Rinderle_77

TDI
2000 Beetle TDI, 2015 Audi Q7 3.0TDI
Well, this thread has removed apprehension about the difficulty of servicing the DSG trans. So, thanks for that.

On the flip side, I was hoping to find some people in here who had really high miles on theirs...that had not had proper service....

See, I purchased an 06 Jetta, that I thought had one of the famous, sealed unit automatics. This car has 215k miles, original owner, who the dealer told that it was an "unserviceable, sealed transmission." Therefore, they drove the car, and kept up on engine oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and air filter changes...as well as all other general maintenance. It does run, drive, shift, etc. just as it should.

The rest of the car is as clean as can be expected for a 215k like car, with immaculate interior, and still has the factory spare and full tool kit.

I'll be ordering the kit in the next few days, and will report back once the service is complete.

OhMT

TDI
2014 Jetta
Has anyone used an Arduino solution for this in place of Vag-Com. I’m getting ready to do this and $200 to $600 seems like a steep investment to read the temp of the transmission. I’ve already searched the forum.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
it's pretty easy. youtube and temp gun on the trans cooler line under the battery tray (best if battery tray is to be removed) or VCDS.

$80 kit plus amazon pump kit, be done in 30 mins.

(Edited on 4/15/2023 for correct size for quarter bottles only)

Slippery Pete Fluid Pump for QUART BOTTLES - Transfer Gear Oil, Transmission and Differential Fluid With This 5cc Hand Pump (NOT FOR Red Line Quarts!) (1) https://a.co/d/hX3XgLV

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Has anyone used an Arduino solution for this in place of Vag-Com. I’m getting ready to do this and $200 to $600 seems like a steep investment to read the temp of the transmission. I’ve already searched the forum.
If your going to have it awhile. Get one. 230 for a genuine cable is small potatoes. You cannot intend on fixing these cars without vagcom

OhMT

TDI
2014 Jetta
Thanks for the input from both of you! I will definitely get one, just not right away. I just bought a 2014 Jetta with 70,000 on it, and I’m hoping to join the high mile club. I put 30,000 miles a year on right now so the maintenance intervals are going to come fast.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Thanks for the input from both of you! I will definitely get one, just not right away. I just bought a 2014 Jetta with 70,000 on it, and I’m hoping to join the high mile club. I put 30,000 miles a year on right now so the maintenance intervals are going to come fast.
I put on 70k miles on my car. 50k just last year. It's so worth it. And cable can always be sold. I'll eventually get the Bluetooth one so I can link with my phone.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
I've done a couple fluid changes in the last few months, and thought i'd share my tools/technique.

Instead of a long hose and bottle adapter, I simply used a 200ml syringe like this: https://www.amazon.com/HORUSDY-Extractor-Syringe-Suction-Transfer/dp/B08PB4Q6VC
It has a short hose that fits the threaded drain plug filler adapter. You keep the adapter screwed into the tranny, and simply remove the syringe+hose for each refill (5 times per liter).

I sucked 200ml into the syringe, plugged the hose into the filler adapter nipple, then pushed the 200ml into the tranny. Then before disconnecting the hose, I pulled back on the syringe a little bit to suck the few ml of fluid still in the line, back into the syringe. That prevented any spillage when disconnecting the hose.

The syringe hose is a bit short, so if you have a 5L jug instead of separate 1L bottles, you'll need to tip the jug sideways to fill the syringe when the jug gets low. Total cost for the syringe + adapter was under $25, and did the job without making a mess.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
How long did the process take you?
Seems like i spent more time getting the car level on my ramps + sloped driveway. It was 23 pumps for the 4.5L, maybe 20sec per cycle, so about 10 minutes. The pumping did get a bit tiresome doing it laid down on my side, using the same arm, but would've been much, much worse to use a 5ml or 30ml gear oil hand pump. Some of the instructions for gravity-feeding with a long hose also require you to punch ventilation holes in the 1L bottles. "No."

The first job last December was much worse, as the guy had ordered or received the wrong plug adapter (22mm CVT instead of 24mm DSG), and pretty much needed 2 people to fill + pump + force the adapter into the plug hole to minimize leakage. With the proper adapter, zero drips. (ok, not zero drips, but very very few. After the first messy job, I worried about needing a clean catch basin to recapture spilled fluid, and pump it back in. Not needed at all.)

For future reference, the correct one is labeled "ATF 106", the wrong one is "ATF 107".

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Last three DSG flush/fills I did, I just used a 2gal. garden sprayer (~$20 at HomeDepot).
Drain as per usual, put the standpipe back in, then thread in the fill hole adapter attached by hose to the pump/sprayer. Pump up some pressure and walk away for a while.
Start the car and monitor fluid temp, then disconnect and drain 'til steady stream stops.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Last three DSG flush/fills I did, I just used a 2gal. garden sprayer
That's what i was thinking before, but all the howto's and yoo tubes were either
* $150 shop certified pump
* hand pump that squirts as much volume as a soap dispenser
* gravity feeding like an IV bag

I figured with all the guys using garden sprayers for brake flushes, someone would've done it for DSG. Turns out they did, but didn't advertise their free DIY writeup as effectively as the more cumbersome ways. This thread is 700 messages deep, so probably no one will see our methods either.

Will27

TDI
'06 Golf TDI, '08 Caddy TDI, '13 Passat Alltrack
I just use the hose and funnel that I got from ID parts. The funnel screws into the long hose. I attach the funnel to the bonnet with a cable tie to hold it up high. It can take 30 seconds or so for the fluid to start flowing properly if there is any air stuck in the hose. The trick is don't let the funnel run dry once the air is cleared out of the hose, be sure to have the other bottles of fluid open and within reach ready to go. Then it fills pretty quick.

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
^^^^

And I would add, warm the fluid up and it'll go into the top fill much quicker.
I just put my dsg fluid container in a bucket of warm water and when it's warm, I fill up the hanging funnel and it's fast.

Looking at a 120k service tomorrow and installing a new skidplate.