DIY: DSG Transmission scheduled maintenance (40K miles interval)

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
If your DSG is working perfectly and not leaking oil anywhere, it is far easier to measure the exact quantity of oil you drained and install the same quantity of new oil back in. I know this will inflame the purists but it is a fact. I have 7 TDI DSG geared Jettas and have used this process with no ill effects. The factory fill is what it is and if the damn thing is working fine, I just don't see a need to buy VAG-COM and go that route. If you have a leaky one then yes you need to do it by the book to get it filled properly. Fix the leak though.
I can agree with that logic because, well, it's logical. Now if you are changing your fluid and actually want to work on your car, I'd say this is the first of MANY reasons to purchase the VAG-COM but I hear what you are saying. :)

TDI
2009 Jeta
I did the service this last Saturday and first of all, it's pretty easy.

Took out the battery and airbox, then accessed the DSG filter, then climbed underneath and removed the dirt shield/air flow cover, then pulled plug and snorkel. Fluid looked extremely clean btw.
People mentioned it taking forever for you to fill from the top of the tranny. I had no issue; I put the bottle on the tube then put a hole with a knife in the bottom of the quart container and it drained into the tranny in about a minute each quart. Also had the oil sitting in a hot water bath while I was prepping to fill so it flowed easier.

started the car, shifted through gears, and let running for about 15 minutes. Pulled the plug again and drained until it was a slow stream then plugged back up.

Running perfectly after a couple hundred miles. I don't think I'll change that fluid for another 50K or so miles.

Couple of additional notes: when I pulled the plug, maybe a 1/2 liter of fluid came out before the snorkel was removed. I guess the factory had put extra in it. when I drained it after running with new fluid, about a 1/2 liter fluid came out, so about 4.5L is all you need, but it makes sense to overfill and let it drain the excess. Lastly, make sure you have it on level ground, and elevate it level when you drain/fill it. :)
I did mine the past weekend every thing went as above except for the fill it went as above. I did get a light for the DGS it went out right away. I did not have a Allen wrench the right size to remove drain plug I believe it is 12mm.
Everything works great I did have to buy Audi oil wish we sold the right oil though for the 2009 DGS.
Bill

amandanicole

TDI
2006 Jetta
Regarding the required transmission fluid: mechanic that is taking apart my tranny right now ad used that we could use a different "semi-synthetic" transmission fluid than the stuff recommended by vw. He says his fluid is better quality than the stuff vw uses. I want to trust him but I'm worried maybe he's missing an important reason why vw uses that fluid......

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Have him tell you what he's using and post it here.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Yeah, this is a very good idea! A DSG is not a regular automatic transmission, so it takes a very special fluid. A "regular" ATF is 100% wrong for a DSG. DSG fluid has to be slippery enough lubricate the gears but not so slippery that the wet clutches slip. This is a pretty fine line. Only a fluid specifically designed for DSG transmissions is acceptable. Remember that a DSG is basically a computer controlled manual transmission. It is not your father's automatic transmission.

Have Fun!

Don

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...and WHY he's proposing a different fluid. Cost? His own profit? Longevity of the DSG (ask for documentation)? Extended change interval?
This just doesn't sound good.

amandanicole

TDI
2006 Jetta
I will ask for sure. He's going off of my inquiry. I was looking for something that will last a little longer. Mine is a 5 speed manual. Not sure if that makes a difference. I asked him about different fluids. He told me that some transmissions have fibrous bearings that get eaten by conventional fluids. He confirmed mine has brass bearings and suggested this brand (insert name here when I find out).

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Mine is a 5 speed manual.
If you have a manual transmission, almost everything in this thread does not apply to you. This thread is about DSG maintenance.

Manual transmissions should have the oil changed every 100k miles or so. There are several threads here about the best fluids for manual transmissions, but this is not one of them.

Have Fun!

Don

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Having read this and other threads on this subject, when the time comes I will do the volume-for-volume top fill method (as outlined in a DIY post on the "other" forum). The factory method is needlessly involved, and I find the idea of the obligatory waste of up to a liter of the expensive oil even more egregious.

akdale

TDI
2009 Jetta
I did mine today. I drained the fluid, and measured. 4.5 L. I did warm it up first. I removed filter and cleaned out housing. Filled from the top, 4.6L to account for the filter. No tool to buy and no waste of fluid which is stupid expensive. The plastic nozzle was loose when I pulled it out. This was the 40k service so it was the factory fill. All in all it went fine. I did my 2006 CTS last year and it was almost as much work so for those that say this is hard, well many new vehicles are done in a similar way. My old Saturn had a very nice trans spin on filter you could remove from the front.. That was awesome. Anyway, not a tough job so just don't over/under fill and you will be fine. Thanks for the great forum.

plower 1

TDI
2012 jetta
Exactly same situation. Loose snorkel, about .5 L came out before pulling snorkel, first 40K factory fiull, 4.5L measured out and put 4.6/4.7L back in. Really quite simple just time consuming. Used Walmart funnel which fits perfectly and heated up fluid before dumping in which made it flow in quickly. Changed fuel filter also. Topped housing off with 911, closed it up and it started right up normally.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
plower 1: I'm curious. Why fill the FF with 911? Isn't that for "winter emergency" use, to "de-gel" thick fuel? What made you think it was necessary?

Johnny9

TDI
jetta
Newbee here need some info

Hi

I am new to forum and TDI ownership I am about to pick up my 2013 Jetta TDI. It has 23k on it. I was looking at this figuring I could do the service myself with the help of my son who is a Diesel Heavy Equipment Tech. I was wondering about the VAG-COM (used here) or VAS 5051 is required. It is absolutely critical that the DSG temperature is within the recommended range while performing this procedure.

I have looked them up the VAS5051 is going for $3000 on ebay the other VAG-COM is about $50.00 thats one heck of a spread and Im not even sure they are the right items that you were refering to. Is the VAG-COM just a program you load onto a lap top to run the diagonistics?? also what cables are needed to attach to the cars computer port. Where would be a good place to look for these items besides EBAY. I figure with only 23 K on the car the investment in the tool is worth it over the life of the vehicle. Thanks for the great detailed tutorial very Helpful to novices like me.

Johnny9

TDI
jetta
Hi

I am new to forum and TDI ownership I am about to pick up my 2013 Jetta TDI. It has 23k on it. I was looking at this figuring I could do the service myself with the help of my son who is a Diesel Heavy Equipment Tech. I was wondering about the VAG-COM (used here) or VAS 5051 is required. It is absolutely critical that the DSG temperature is within the recommended range while performing this procedure.

I have looked them up the VAS5051 is going for $3000 on ebay the other VAG-COM is about $50.00 thats one heck of a spread and Im not even sure they are the right items that you were refering to. Is the VAG-COM just a program you load onto a lap top to run the diagonistics?? also what cables are needed to attach to the cars computer port. Where would be a good place to look for these items besides EBAY. I figure with only 23 K on the car the investment in the tool is worth it over the life of the vehicle. Thanks for the great detailed tutorial very Helpful to novices like me.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
the expensive one is great for a dealer, the cheap one will only work with limited functionality, if you are lucky.

go to http://ross-tech.com/ for a VCDS cable with full license software.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^^this. To clarify, based on many posts here, the Ebay version is junk.

Go to ross-tech.com. Reliable, functional, great tech support. Worth every penny.

adicecco

TDI
'05 VW Jetta MKIV
I have an 05 Jetta TDI tiptronic automatic BEW engine and the transmission seems sluggish so it seems to point to getting the fluid changed. I can do some basic things but I don't really want to mess with learning how to change the trans fluid. The place I've been going to said that that I don't need to change the filter, just the fluid, and that it would be $140 for labor and $80 for the fluid. Does this sound about right for a trans fluid change?

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
I have an 05 Jetta TDI tiptronic automatic BEW engine and the transmission seems sluggish so it seems to point to getting the fluid changed. I can do some basic things but I don't really want to mess with learning how to change the trans fluid. The place I've been going to said that that I don't need to change the filter, just the fluid, and that it would be $140 for labor and $80 for the fluid. Does this sound about right for a trans fluid change?
You're in the wrong forum and wrong thread for that question, it is totally unrelated except by the general theme of transmissions.

That said, the filter is internal to the case of your trans and would require a complete tear-down to get to. Therefore, yours gets drained and refilled. The fluid price seems a little low to me and the labor perhaps a bit high IMO, but that makes assumptions about the labor rate in your area. It's not that far off anyway.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
IMPORTANT info...
The vaico filter kit has a undersized o-ring for the filter cap. Mine unnoticeably leaked on my pretrip inspection but when I got to Colorado after my 17hr one way trip I guess the cold amplified the leak and it gushed out on the 17 hr return trip. I noticed it when I got back. I haven't verified how much it leaked exactly...right now appears to be over a quart. After I've been back I researched more and this is a common problem with this Vaico aftermarket manufacturer.
Use VW o'rings. I did like the pentosin but found a dsg oil change kit on amazon with all OEM parts for 136$s. I'm gonna go this route this time. Also change the cooler orings while your there for piece of mind.
Well, rolling up on 65k since last change and wanted to say that I spoke with Aaron at Bora and I know that THEY for sure have replaced the seals with their DSG kits.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Thanks for posting that.
I haven't heard, so when I serviced the trans this weekend, I bought an oem o-ring. Didn't want to deal with a leak.

Tony
Sent from my e-diesel fleet

dzldawg

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Too much fluid?

I did my dsg service over the weekend. I followed all procedures but now while driving I can smell the fluid. Did I not get enough fluid out? If too much what happens to it?

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
If you used the Liquimoly fluid it has a very strong smell. Mine smelled of it for a couple of weeks after I did mine. Just look carefully for leaks and if you don't see one it is most likely OK.

jlockwood71

TDI
2006 TDI
Great write-up- it got me through my DSG oil/filter change (using a $233 40k service kit from IDParts- OEM DSG filter/5qts OEM oil, OEM fuel filter, OEM engine filter/5qts Pentosin & magnetic drain plug w/ washers)...

Long story short, my plans had to be adjusted which led me to the method I'm going to use next time. The black tip of the $5 screw-on oil spout fits snugly in the fill port where the filter sits, allowing me to squeeze bottle after bottle using light pressure. For whatever reason, after reassembling the engine to warm it up (I had completely removed the air box assembly and battery tray for access) I felt the need to double-check the snorkel overflow. But there was no way to add more fluid from the top. Luckily a tapered mityvac adapter let me get a decent seal in the snorkel hex hole so I could add oil from below and prove to myself that it was properly topped off at snorkel level.

Anyway, hope this helps somebody. I was able to squeeze a bottle per minute into the top with only moderate pressure (no leaks at the bottle or the filter mount).

...and afterward (since I was also trying out my shiny new VCDS) I treated myself to comfort windows via the remote control following the excellent procedure at myturbodiesel http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/comfort-window-activation-auto-closing-windows-2005-5-2009-vw/ AWESOME!

On an easy 4 mile drive immediately following the DSG oil change, I do think it's imperceptibly smoother/snappier on shifts (but like a cabin air filter or oil change, could also just be the satisfaction of having done it).

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
If you used the Liquimoly fluid it has a very strong smell. Mine smelled of it for a couple of weeks after I did mine. Just look carefully for leaks and if you don't see one it is most likely OK.
After I did it with that brand of fluid, not only did the car smell for a while, but also the shop where I did the work smelled of the fluid for several weeks :eek:
I did not spill any fluid

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
After I did it with that brand of fluid, not only did the car smell for a while, but also the shop where I did the work smelled of the fluid for several weeks :eek:
I did not spill any fluid
Same here. I haven't bought any more of it due to the awful smell. I got some febi Bilstien for my next change as I had a couple extra left over and an oem filter. Will get a kit from id parts next time with oem fluid to keep the smell at bay.

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
Same here. I haven't bought any more of it due to the awful smell. I got some febi Bilstien for my next change as I had a couple extra left over and an oem filter. Will get a kit from id parts next time with oem fluid to keep the smell at bay.
Is the smell on the Febi Bilstein variant just as obnoxious as the Liquy Moly then?

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Is the smell on the Febi Bilstein variant just as obnoxious as the Liquy Moly then?
No I did my Passat with the febi Bilstien and it didn't smell at all. I did my jsw with the liquimoly and holy Moses what a stink. I will be doing the Passat again soon with the febi Bilstien I have on hand and then get oem for the JSW which will need it by fall.

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
No I did my Passat with the febi Bilstien and it didn't smell at all. I did my jsw with the liquimoly and holy Moses what a stink. I will be doing the Passat again soon with the febi Bilstien I have on hand and then get oem for the JSW which will need it by fall.
Alright, thanks, that's good to know. I am thinking I may try the Febi Bilstein. Any particular reason why you are planning to switch to OEM?