DIY: DSG Transmission scheduled maintenance (40K miles interval)

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
What would be pretty amazing would be a formula that took into account X Miles Driven over, Y amount of time = *Wear
Sounds pretty simple to me...even simpler would be "x" number of gear changes. It's probably already being counted in the ECU memory somewhere.

Black11TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (Gone But not Forgotten), 2013 Tiguan SE 4 Motion
I am curious to that as well, I knew my cars complete history, and knew it was all freeway miles till I bought it, and it was mixed driving for me, when I dropped the DSG fluid it was pretty much spotless, and the filter was grey but not really that dirty. I am impressed that some of you pushed the limits on the service interval, but I am too OCD and worried about the transmission to try to push the service a bit, I am even hesitant on the 10k mile oil changes..lol For as easy as it was, even with the issues I encountered, as long as I can still do it health wise, I will do it again at 80k. $150 is cheap insurance I figure..

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
hymato, the tech is telling you the DSG might need to be recalibrated, which compensates for clutch wear, etc. I believe VWoA recommends this, and this extra step is included in the VW dealer DSG service...or at least it should be included, if it is necessary. This is a step that some don't consider when comparing dealer/guru charges for DSG service, vs. doing it in your own garage.
I'm sure there is debate as to whether or not the recalibration is necessary.
It may be recommended for other reasons but it isn't mentioned in any way in the documents I have from erWin as part of the dsg oil change. I'd wager it would be charged on top of regular service cost at a dealer.

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
Oh come on, the dealership won't even prime the fuel system after a fuel filter change. Does anyone in this thread really believe a dealership is doing any sort of adaptation to the DSG after a fluid change?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I do, because Marten's VW in Bethesda, MD is the dealer I was speaking of. Do all dealers do it? I have no idea.
Caveat emptor.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I might push our next fluid change out to 50 or 60k (did the first at 40). It's good to see people posting who have gotten a lot of service out of their DSG :cool:

-J

quicksmoke

TDI
2002 Jetta ALH AT, 2009 Jetta TDI AT
I haven't read "every" post in this thread, but most. Is there a consensus regarding acceptable brands of oil for the DSG service?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
There are 2 or 3 labels. I'm sure it's all the same manufacturer, then just private labeled.

If you buy DSG oil from idparts.com, boraparts.com, worldimpex.com, or a dealer, you should be fine.

Personally, I buy from boraparts.com

Tony

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
There are 2 or 3 labels. I'm sure it's all the same manufacturer, then just private labeled.

If you buy DSG oil from idparts.com, boraparts.com, worldimpex.com, or a dealer, you should be fine.

Personally, I buy from boraparts.com

Tony
Aaron at Boraparts for me too. I have gotten 3 different "brands" but I KNOW they are all good even if it's a different label. :)

Sent from my d3rpONE using Tapatalk 4

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I think the color in the filter is from the additive package in the oil. It probably includes some Molydenium Disulfide friction modifiers and some gets caught in the filter since all of it is not ground fine enough to pass without leaving color.
Probably accounted for in the formulation.
This would be to modify the friction in the clutches for smooth engagement while still allowing for complete lock-up afterwards.
The Germand are famous for specially modified friction packages for slip clutches.
Probably the most mportant oil change is the first one. I did the first one at 40,000 miles and the second at 90,000 miles. the third one at 160,000.
I felt a little guilty, but I could tell no change in performance. Finally the guilt drove me to the change
Of course I only have 172,000 muiles so I don't know how well the transmission will hold up yet.
No difference in the color from what came out vs. what went in.
Filter about the same shade of grey as before with no signs of metal in the filter.
I did readapt the transmission and there was a chnage in how it shifted. This would be the first time I adapter the transmission.
It seems to shift a little softer and has a little less hesitation when shifting, although the turbo lag from a stand still is still there, but that rocket launch can be fun.
It takes a few miles to get used to it, but since 2009 and 172,000 miles we can cope with it.
So far so good.

ericgray1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Whats the pros and cons from doing a top fill as opposed to the bottom fill on the transmission? I have read a few DIY where some of the guys did a top fill, eliminating the need for expensive tools in order to fill it from the bottom?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Whats the pros and cons from doing a top fill as opposed to the bottom fill on the transmission? I have read a few DIY where some of the guys did a top fill, eliminating the need for expensive tools in order to fill it from the bottom?
I think you hit the biggest pro - no need to buy or make a special tool. From what I have read (I don't have a DSG), the biggest con is time. To add the fluid from the top (through the filter), you must pour VERY slowly. Four+ quarts poured a tiny bit at at time, can take quite a while. The question becomes; what is your time worth?

Have Fun!

Don

ericgray1

Veteran Member
TDI
I think you hit the biggest pro - no need to buy or make a special tool. From what I have read (I don't have a DSG), the biggest con is time. To add the fluid from the top (through the filter), you must pour VERY slowly. Four+ quarts poured a tiny bit at at time, can take quite a while. The question becomes; what is your time worth?

Have Fun!

Don
So if what you are insisting is true and accurate, in regards to the only con to a top fill is time... I would rather just take my time and run with that option. One DIY i read said that there is a funnel you can purchase from walmart that holds 1 liter at a time, with a valve to control flow, and the funnel's tip fits into the filter housing's port.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
So if what you are insisting is true and accurate, in regards to the only con to a top fill is time... I would rather just take my time and run with that option. One DIY i read said that there is a funnel you can purchase from walmart that holds 1 liter at a time, with a valve to control flow, and the funnel's tip fits into the filter housing's port.
I am not insisting anything, I'm just repeating what I have read. Anyway, that funnel sounds like the perfect tool for the job. Good Luck, I know many others here have done their own DSG service. It can't be that hard.

Have Fun!

Don

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Personally, I prefer the bottom fill. I modified a drain plug, used a valve and air compressor quick disconnect. Most recently I added a gear oil pump, so I can force fill the trans. Once the oil is at the right temp, I open the valve and drain off the excess as specified.

Tony
Sent from my e-diesel fleet

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Filling from the top isn't that bad at all. I had the special parts/plug made to fill from the bottom just in case I got aggravated with top-fill. Haven't used them once. Still fill from the top. Wally-World has the Hoppy Flo-tool which is perfect to use and fits into the DSG filter hole just right.

Going to push my DSG service out to 50K this time. First ones were both at 40K.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
$30.00 will build you a modified garden sprayer, some tubing and a drain plug.
I got the drain plug and drilled and tapped it for a 1/4" quick air connector and plumbed it into the garden sprayer and I pump the oil into the transmission in a few minitues from below.
Works good and is cheaper than the "official" tool.

Scorpo900

TDI
Golf 2011 4D
So if what you are insisting is true and accurate, in regards to the only con to a top fill is time... I would rather just take my time and run with that option. One DIY i read said that there is a funnel you can purchase from walmart that holds 1 liter at a time, with a valve to control flow, and the funnel's tip fits into the filter housing's port.[compre
If you have access to an air compressor, get the funnel from Walmart, takeout the cone, dsg oil can screws right in, make a small hole in the dsg can, and put a little pressure with the compressor, you'll empty the oil can in less than 30 seconds... :rolleyes:

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

ericgray1

Veteran Member
TDI
So if what you are insisting is true and accurate, in regards to the only con to a top fill is time... I would rather just take my time and run with that option. One DIY i read said that there is a funnel you can purchase from walmart that holds 1 liter at a time, with a valve to control flow, and the funnel's tip fits into the filter housing's port.[compre
If you have access to an air compressor, get the funnel from Walmart, takeout the cone, dsg oil can screws right in, make a small hole in the dsg can, and put a little pressure with the compressor, you'll empty the oil can in less than 30 seconds... :rolleyes:

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
Well what do you know... I have both. lol

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)

Have Fun!

Don
Using the Hoppy-flo funnel and tubing I bought from Walmart for $5, it took approx. 4-5 min. per liter x 5 liters = 20-25 min to fill from the top. Not a drop spilled, 0.5 liter drained out on final level check (using VCDS to ensure fluid temp was in correct range). Not a big time deal to me. Not as wasteful of expensive fluid as the bottom-fill method either. It's really that easy.

Last edited:

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Using the Hoppy-flo funnel and tubing I bought from Walmart for $5, it took approx. 4-5 min. per liter x 5 liters = 20-25 min to fill from the top. Not a drop spilled, 0.5 liter drained out on final level check (using VCDS to ensure fluid temp was in correct range). Not a big time deal to me. Not as wasteful of expensive fluid as the bottom-fill method either. It's really that easy.
That's what I did. Easy peasy

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
Copied from post on this page:

recently saw a "Wheeler Dealer" episode where Edd (the mechanic on the show) was changing trans fluid on a Porshe Boxer S.
It was somewhat similar procedure, the Boxer having a snorkel also, on the bottom fill, raised the temp, remove the drain plug to drain the overflow.

But instead of an adapter, he had "pressure tank" and just used hose with a thin tube with an sharp 90 tip on the end that went up into and over the snorkel.
He just pumped the fluid till it started to come out the snorkel. He put back the drain plug, started the engine, ran through the gears, then he had to add some more fluid till it overflowed again.. He capped it and ran the tranny up to temp, then removed the drain plug to let the overflow come out and that was it-proper fill level achieved.

Great idea (not mine) and easy to do. Buy a $15.00 garden sprayer and a piece of copper tubing and you are set!

so2315

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
Did the bottom fill the first time, figured I would try the top this time. Ordered my DSG Service kit with OEM fluid from ID Parts, and the box came fast. Spent a bit taking everything out to get to the filter.
Started the process of refilling. Noticed the bottles looked different. Opened 2nd liter, and glanced at the bottle. It was VW Gear Oil, said nothing about Direct Shift Gear Box Oil like the last kit I bought. Stopped immediately, called ID Parts to make sure this was what I had ordered. Gave them order number, read the part number from the bottle and it was confirmed this is manual transmission oil and not the DSG oil I ordered. He reassured me that I can drain and refill with no issues and ordered me my DSG Fluid via overnight.
I have a half a liter left of DSG from the last change. I plan on letting the gearbox oil drain over night, then dumping 3-500 ml of DSG to flush residual, put snorkle in and plug then fill. Do you think this will be good to go?

The moral of the story, don't assume the bottles changed style. Double check your order with the web page. I almost filled her up with gear oil and could have ruined my car!

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You can flush like that if you want. I don't think it will do any good. But it also won't hurt.

Tony

cb1000rider

TDI
none - considering 4runner conversion
After getting estimates of $900+ for 40k dealer service and typical independents in the $350-$450 range just for DSG, I'm going to do this myself.
The thing that was getting me was the cost of vag-com.. Which, on a highly reliable car that I don't mess with, is a bit much for a specialty tool.

We have a 2011 TDI Sportwagen.

So I plugged in OBD-II (Torque Pro) and the appropriate $25 OBD-II dongle. Add a gauge for transmission temperature and there you go...

Just a suggestion for anyone hesitating on the VAG-COM purchase...

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
No problem with top or bottom fill.
On the VagCom VCDS that the cost on a highly reliable car. This is not correct.
The VW is not a particularly reliable car and I have been glad that I had the VCDS several times.
Recently the glpw plug light with check engine light and limp mode.
Code P00AF VNT actuator position stuck etc.
Bad actuator, replaced actuator. $300 instead of $3000+.
The reliability of VW is a myth.
However I think I will try to get the OBD-II dongel and the Torque app. sounds great for lots of things.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have torque and a dongle: it's fine for most diagnostic purposes. VCDS really has no equal: it is capable of reading all the factory codes that the generics can't read.

Tony
Sent from my e-diesel fleet now Free

cb1000rider

TDI
none - considering 4runner conversion
No argument there. I just mention it in the context of the 40k service. For those of us looking to do the service "right" - meaning warming the transmission up to the proper temperature before draining, the choice seems to be $250 for VAG-COM or buying an rip-off of that product... Torque is a reasonable cost approach that doesn't infringe on the Ross-tech technology.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I meant to ask, what part of the adaptation procedure needs to be done? I went to the page and there are a good number of stages/steps and I wanted to be sure of what, exactly, you guys (that did it) are doing.

Thanks!

Sent from my d3rpONE using Tapatalk 4

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just go through the whole procedure. Notice there are TCU differences: the procedure breaks these out.

Tony