DIY: DSG Transmission scheduled maintenance (40K miles interval)

2015 GOLF TDI S

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
Is this applicable to dsg on 2011 tdi 2.0 golf? Thanks.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
Yes, pretty much the same. I recently did this method on my '11 Jetta TDI. But I can't remember the rear toque screws the engine shield on the bottom of the car size is just make sure you have bigger sizes in case.
The post I read when I researched to do this indicated it took 40 minutes to fill the DSG Trans from the Filter housing but it took me only 20-25 minutes so I don't know whay it was much faster for me. Make sure you get the hoppe oil funnel post. The opening fits into the filter housing top hole fits in perfectly.

Black11TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (Gone But not Forgotten), 2013 Tiguan SE 4 Motion
I am hoping i got enough into the Trans, car is level on stands, drained for over an hour but after refilling it, warming the car to 42 C via Vag, I put in a bit over 5.5L via the bottom fill method, and when I pulled the hose I got a bit over 1L out maybe a touch more, So I am guessing I have 4.3-4.5L in the DSG.. it was a tiny but steady stream coming out when I yanked the hose and plugged it...

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I am hoping i got enough into the Trans, car is level on stands, drained for over an hour but after refilling it, warming the car to 42 C via Vag, I put in a bit over 5.5L via the bottom fill method, and when I pulled the hose I got a bit over 1L out maybe a touch more, So I am guessing I have 4.3-4.5L in the DSG.. it was a tiny but steady stream coming out when I yanked the hose and plugged it...
As long as the temp was right, you shifted through your gears and the fluid was "dripping" out of the fill/drain, then you should be just fine.

Black11TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
The one thing I would like to add for the OP on my 2011 Golf, when I was removing the Filter box, I have a 2" hose that comes out of the side of the Filter Box that looks like to goes somewhere near the Turbo, also a hard line that has a dust valve that drops into the fender well off the bottom right of the filter box for water drainage. I had to remove the Ram Air inlet to gain enough room to twist the Filter Box Around the tiny coolant line that runs up front. Along with that the hosing that 2" line sticks out far enough that getting the DSG filter cover required me (didn't remove battery tray) to snake the cover from the bottom only, and I tore the living heck out of the old filter getting it out because the clamps for the DSG cooler were in the way, so I had to fish the filter up from the bottom as well still wrapped in plastic, once it was up there I was able to remove the plastic and slide it into the housing. The longest part is warming up the car to get the fluid temp up, I kind of pissed a few neighbors off because at this point it was pushing 11 pm, and it took a good 20-30 minutes with my car idling in the garage to get up to temp, other then that, everything is good and no CEL's

hymato

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta TDI(buyback) Now 2005.5 Jetta tdi
I had a shop tell me that you need to change some values in transmission, something to do with the clutches or something. Has anyone heard of this? He told me that if I do the servi e myself he would charge me $55 to do the coding in transmission. I never heard of anything like this.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
hymato, the tech is telling you the DSG might need to be recalibrated, which compensates for clutch wear, etc. I believe VWoA recommends this, and this extra step is included in the VW dealer DSG service...or at least it should be included, if it is necessary. This is a step that some don't consider when comparing dealer/guru charges for DSG service, vs. doing it in your own garage.
I'm sure there is debate as to whether or not the recalibration is necessary.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I do yhe recalibration every time I change the fluid. It's easy and straightforward uf you have VCDS and a laptop.

Tony
Sent from my e-diesel fleet

hymato

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone have a link on how to do this?
Thanks guys I thought this guy was just yanking my chain.

hymato

Veteran Member
TDI
Never mind found it on Ross-techs website. I just did my brother tdi with 50000 on it should I do the recalibration?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Never mind found it on Ross-techs website. I just did my brother tdi with 50000 on it should I do the recalibration?
How many miles since is "just did"? :) I don't know if it matters but that would be good info to provide.

*I also didn't know we could/should do this so I suppose I'll be doing this when I do my next service. I just did mine 3k miles ago and the car has almost 110k on the clock.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Some do the recal with every engine oil change.

Tony
Sent from my e-diesel fleet

Black11TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Talking to a Tech at a Dealer I can trust, he told me VW does not recommend recalibrating the DSG unless replacing the Metatronic Unit, said its better to reset the shift points then the total readapt and reset, said it has been known to cause issues. I did it anyway, and going thru the measuring blocks screen I noticed a difference in shifting and in clutch distances..

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Talking to a Tech at a Dealer I can trust, he told me VW does not recommend recalibrating the DSG unless replacing the Metatronic Unit, said its better to reset the shift points then the total readapt and reset, said it has been known to cause issues. I did it anyway, and going thru the measuring blocks screen I noticed a difference in shifting and in clutch distances..
Can we reset the shift points with Ross-Tech?

*All great info for this thread, thanks everyone for contributions. :)

Black11TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Soft Reset (Shift Points and resets adaptation)

Try the following procedure.

1. Turn the ignition ON, but don't start the engine.

2. Floor the gas pedal and hold it like that for 20-30 seconds.

3. Turn the ignition OFF, release the gas pedal.

It might be not the complete DSG reset, but at least your shift logic will be reset.

Full Reset and Adaptation, requires some fancy driving to complete the procedure, just remember your wallet so if you get stopped like I did doing this, you dont get a ticket. (I got Lucky and was pulled over by a person I know)

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/6-Speed_Direct_Shift_Gearbox_(DSG/02E))

:cool:

Last edited:

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
In all of my research before performing the DSG service, I never ran across anything related to re-calibration.

At the risk of sounding really dense, how important is this??? I performed my service about 600 miles ago.

Black11TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
It made a huge difference on my car, it shifts better, and more crisp, downshifts better on decel, and doesn't stall as long from a dead stop, also when I put it in park now in the driveway, it doesn't roll back as far, and I have noticed a 2 mpg jump in economy (may just be a conicidence)

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
I'm going to do a DSG service on a 2009 Sportwagen that presently has 141,000 miles and has never had the DSG fluid replaced. I'll also do the adaptations at time of service but will do them AFTER the fluid change test drive.

If there is going to be a noticeable improvement then I should certainly see it.

UPDATE: I did the fluid change at 142,000 miles. This was the original fluid since the DSG had never been serviced. The fluid was dirty but not 'diesel oil' dirty. The filter on the other hand was carbon black. I unrolled it (it's made like a roll of toilet paper) and didn't see any metal but there's certainly dirt from the clutches floating around.

All things considered, it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. The car still shifts perfectly and I didn't bother with any adaptation procedures.

Last edited:

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
2009 Sportwagen that presently has 141,000 miles and has never had the DSG fluid replaced...
Curious what the fluid will look like. Any plans to have it tested? I'm getting ready to change my fluid for the 3rd time. 40K seems overkill especially since these are completely sealed systems. Anyone going longer on their tranny service interval?

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
MacBuckeye, I have no plans to test the fluid. It's not my vehicle and I won't saddle the owner with the expense of an analyses. The transmission works perfectly. On another note, the timing belt was never changed at 120,000 either.

I too believe that 40,000 mile drain intervals of this fluid are excessive. If I owned a DSG I'd do things a bit differently for sure.

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
I usually do mine every 60k and could probably go longer as most miles are hwy and there is considerably less shifting going on with hwy driven cars. City car could probably stand to keep to the 40k but I doubt anything catastrophic would come of extending the I interval.

Sent from my d3rpONE using Tapatalk 4

faafaafowhigh

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, Package 1
I waited until 86,000 miles for my first DSG Service. And change it about every 80,000ish miles. Currently has 247,000 miles and original DMF

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
I waited until 86,000 miles for my first DSG Service. And change it about every 80,000ish miles. Currently has 247,000 miles and original DMF
Nice. Lucky you on the original DMF. I had changed mine out but now have a 2009 so hopefully will never have to do that again. :cool:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
All of you that are following a longer than recommended DSG OCI should state your driving parameters. I bet all of you are long-distance drivers, and therefore have very few shifting cycles. The 40k DSG OCI recommendation must take into account the "worst case" scenario, i.e., all city driving.
Over a year ago, there was serious discussion within VWoA, that even got to my dealer's level (staff meeting where it was discussed), about going to 50k OCI. Many factors undoubtedly went into the decision to keep it at 40k.
Perhaps VWoA should recommend an OCI range.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
All of you that are following a longer than recommended DSG OCI should state your driving parameters. I bet all of you are long-distance drivers, and therefore have very few shifting cycles. The 40k DSG OCI recommendation must take into account the "worst case" scenario, i.e., all city driving.
Over a year ago, there was serious discussion within VWoA, that even got to my dealer's level (staff meeting where it was discussed), about going to 50k OCI. Many factors undoubtedly went into the decision to keep it at 40k.
Perhaps VWoA should recommend an OCI range.
As hard as it is to get them to publicly give parameters for other things (timing belt, brake fluid etc...) I don't know that it'll ever happen BUT it would be nice. I don't drive nearly as much as some of our members but 2400 miles a month is about what I do and is 140miles of hwy 3 days a week. I know my DSG fluid and clutches (TB, brake fluid etc...) are seeing far less wear than the driver who does 10k in a year of driving. Heck, I was on my original front pads on my 2006 Jetta and it had 160k on the clock and could have surely done more.

What would be pretty amazing would be a formula that took into account X Miles Driven over, Y amount of time = *Wear