DIY: DSG Transmission scheduled maintenance (40K miles interval)

thursday

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 MKV Jetta DSG North Sea Green, Sugar Cube - 86 Vanagon Syncro AHU m-TDI
I forgot to comment on the oil in the battery tray. About half way home I half remembered I might have had spilled some oil on the battery cover during the 5k oil change. IIRC I was trying to use a short hose to suck the oil out of the filter housing. I set the container I was putting the oil in on the battery cover and knocked it over. I cleaned the top quickly but some may have gotten down the side already. I'm having to scenario a little because it was a year and a half ago and I cannot imagine another way to get used engine oil in the battery tray.

I ran out to check if oil could get in the tray from spill on top but wifey took the car to town. Someone else w/ A5 in the driveway might could check.

thursday

Veteran Member
TDI
That filter looks different than the filter I got from dealer.

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, Seat Leon FR PD 150 6 speed.
thursday said:
That filter looks different than the filter I got from dealer.
Hello Michael,
Remember me, you can by my house last spring with your family and sold me some parts. I have seen the replacement filter I get from the dealer are different from the original filters. If memory serves me well, the picture in the impex listing looks like the ones I have been buying from the dealer. Next time you are in the area call me and maybe we can get together again and talk about tdi or whatever.
See ya,

Last edited:

thursday

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Steve,
Yes, I do remember you. How could I forget the potential of fields full of fossils. LOL I am headed that way in a couples weeks in the new m-TDI Vanagon, maybe, possibly, hmmm? Got lots to do yet!! It would be great to hang out a bit.
Michael

Last edited:

Matt65

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
Did mine last night with this write up! ..only delima was I didnt have the 14mm Hex for the plug.

Also, here are a few pics with the filter comparison, suffix of C on the part number. Factory is metal, and replacement is plastic.

Last edited:

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
MCathcart said:
Someone said you Can Pour The Oil Filter opening on top of the transmission... Well, I'm going to say That's Correct but, (Big But) BUT It's going to take about 1 hour to pout 6 Ltrs of Oil in the transmission. (5.5 is a good number but I had my reasons for pouring in 6! If you're short you have to pull the airbox back off and remove the filter cover and filter to pour more back in.) The oil drains into the transmission as a stream that's about 1/8" in size. You can pourt about 3 oz into the housing and let it drain down, 1.5 minutes later pour about another 2 ounces on and on and on. (Removing the fill plug on the transmission Does Not Help Much and at 4.3 liters oil will start draining out of the filler plug so the plug will have to be reinstalled.)
wjdell said:
Maybe

replace the snorkel and drain plug - fill 5.5 litres from top and then install filter, air cleaner etc., start engine to temp and then pull the plug to let excess run off and reinstall plug.

I know of one who did this and claims he was successful, but we have never heard from him since. The fluid is kinda pricy for testing.

I think its best to just follow the procedure being unsre how it would act if you did this.
I did read in the bently where it says to remove filter housing and filter prior to removing drain plug so that any oil in the filter housing can return to the pan. Clearly this is possible, but it appears that VW designed the tool to speed up fill time, vs. functionality.

I planed on filling thru the filter opening for my service. Hopefully it won't be painfully slow. I'll try my transmission fill funnel with a restrictor on the end to slow the flow, pour in a litre, drink a pint and repeat.;)

Bently also shows drain and fill capacities for the 2004,5 1 litre lower than the 2006 models... just FYI for those reading the directions.

mannyaplus11

TDI
2006 Jetta
Took my car to my trusted mechanic for the DSC fluid change. First one he's ever done. He had to order a VAG COM and download the procedure from the internet, but, he got it done. Total price: $370.
Turns out he needed the VAG COM later in the weekend for an Audi A3.

kkarlos

TDI
Golf
Thanks for the great info. This is helpful as I'm considering buying a used automatic TDI Golf for my daughter. I was quite afraid of the VW automatics until I read this article. I usually can do most work myself on my old 93, 1.9 T.D. Golf.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
The filler I told you about comes with a adapter

The smaller adap fits into the large end - there is a rotation on and off - you take of the short hose and attach to your long hose with the adapted DSG drain plug. piesc of cake much easier than the instructions on the net no glue needed - just a clamp so yur hose does not slip off the nipple.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You can not start a empty DSG - what if the oil will not travel to the pan with the engine off. It may be that the filter is changed first for simplicity. The car is down then up stays up thru the rest of the process.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That drain plug is about 5 USD the nipple 2 - you can drill it and braze it for about 10 to 15 at a local body shop - if you can thread it less. The filler from Advance or Autozone is 7

That is less than 30 bucks - if you can not afford that you own the wrong car. The Bentley paperback is 50 from Amazon. You can usually get free shipping.

Vag Com is expensive if you can not borrow it - but its worth it over 60k.

There are other hand held devices that will read temp for allot less - CAN BUS has been out awhile, do some searches - I found one for 50 USD - wont do much but is enough to clear codes and take its temp.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
wjdell said:
There are other hand held devices that will read temp for allot less - CAN BUS has been out awhile, do some searches - I found one for 50 USD - wont do much but is enough to clear codes and take its temp.
What one have you found that works for the trans temp?

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
wjdell I had to fix your link to get into the site. Remove the letters after "html" and it will go right to that site.

You are a huge help, as are so many others here, and I want to thank you for sharing information.

Based upon your information, I can get the scanner and build my own filler assy, and do my DSG oil and filter changes for about 1/2 of what VW charges oil and filter included. That is huge. The savings from that alone will change my engine oil and filter 3 or 4 times.

I have a shop with torch and MIG and various other support items for making repairs. I can easily build my own filler tool.

I plan to order the scan tool tomorrow morning.

Again, Thank You.

Rod

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
any hand held non-contact thermometer will read trans temp, or temp of any surface for that matter. Just point it at the pan.. They can be had for $50 or less.. They can be VERY useful for diagnosing other issues as well.

beawalnut

TDI
2006 Jetta TD!
mannyaplus11 said:
I was wondering, instead of filling the new fluid from under the car, can you just use the tube and put the fluid in where the filter sits, and then screw on the new filter. It seems that you would have more control that way.
I know that afterwards, you still have the problem of overfilling, but, it might be easier for the first 4 liters.
Hi,

I was wondering the exact same thing. Can the new oil be introduced into the tranny via the filter hole....and still use the overflow to establish the correct level ?

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
El Dobro said:
Nope... EBAY junk is just that... junk.
Get the real deal from Ross-Tech.

If you plan on owning VWs into the future, then you won't regret the purchase price. Totally free software upgrades forever, and Tech Support from, of all places, the U.S. (not India or some other foreign country).

;)

Just one scan on a fault will save you the price of the true HEX+CAN-USB (or -COM) cable.

Clark20ry

TDI
2006 Jetta
TDIJetta99 said:
any hand held non-contact thermometer will read trans temp, or temp of any surface for that matter. Just point it at the pan.. They can be had for $50 or less.. They can be VERY useful for diagnosing other issues as well.

Ok new guy to VW but not to diesels.... How accurate will this read the fluid temp. Your reading the temp of the pan. How much of a temp diff from the pan surface than fluid????

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There is a slight difference, but only a few degrees.. I would trust the infrared thermometer over the sensor in the trans anyway, they aren't exact.. I can't tell you how many coolant temp sensors that interpret a decent amount different than actual temp.. The sensors pretty much have to be within an acceptable range, not exact by any means.. The non-contact thermometers are usually accurate to within about 2%, at least mine is....

robrichtx

Veteran Member
TDI
DSG Fluid quantity

I just finished the 40K change last night - THANK YOU guys for this great post - couldn't have done it without you.

I did notice a couple things - when I first opened the drain plug, about a half liter or less of Transmission oil ran out. Does this mean the transmission was overfilled? I would expect that with normal driving, the snorkel would eventually fill as fluid bounced around and wound up in its "well". But that quantity is only a couple of ounces, so it wouldn't explain the 1/4 to 1/2 liter that came out. Again - this is the 40K change, so this is how it came from the factory.

I took it out and ran it around for about 40 min - temp came up to about 85C and stayed there - normal operating range from what I can tell, so all looks good.

Also - like another person reported, I got a little over a liter back out when I was done filling, maybe 1.25 to 1.45 (I actually put the old bottles under the spout as it drained). I saw one other poster mention a similar quantity - anyone else?

Rob

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
DSG oil change tidbits

Just wanted to throw my $.02 in here.

First, make sure you check your DSG build. Newer ones hold 1 litre more than the first NA 04-05 ones. Be prepared.

Second, stop and figure out the temperature range that they give you and apply a little logic to the WIDE range given. Anyone that says a specific tool is needed.. is a tool.

And finally, I honestly think that the design of the bottom fill method was two fold. First and foremost it allows a way to recollect the EXCESS oil so it is not wasted. $$$$ saver if you are a dealership.. the primary user of these. Second, it allows a greater fill speed, minimal, but over time a bennie to a dealership or mechanic.

This tranny is fillable thru the top. Plain and simple.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dunno513 said:

First, make sure you check your DSG build. Newer ones hold 1 litre more than the first NA 04-05 ones. Be prepared.

Second, stop and figure out the temperature range that they give you and apply a little logic to the WIDE range given. Anyone that says a specific tool is needed.. is a tool.

And finally, I honestly think that the design of the bottom fill method was two fold. First and foremost it allows a way to recollect the EXCESS oil so it is not wasted. $$$$ saver if you are a dealership.. the primary user of these. Second, it allows a greater fill speed, minimal, but over time a bennie to a dealership or mechanic.

I didn't know about the 1 litre difference, but I haven't gotten any newer ones through here just yet...

The rest of what you say... THANK YOU!... I've been filling these from the top for some time now.. I use my non contact thermometer to make sure the trans is hot enough... I've had that thing for years, 1001 uses...

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Dunno513 said:

I wanted to post back here after the service. Couple of things to point out BEFORE you begin this adventure..

HAVE A 14mm or 9/16 Hex BEFORE YOU START !!!

or fabricate one by using a bolt with that size head and WELD a nut on the other end. I tried the double nut method, but I just couldn't budge it before the nuts spun Had to put it on hold while I picked one up from Sears. Not a very common size and most of your rinky dink auto parts stores don't carry that size.

And yes you can fill from the filter opening... But I caution you... S L O W...... Took me about an hour to pour 4.5 litres down the gizzard... pour a little, wait a minute, pour some more, wait..

There is one advantage to this procedure tho.... The garage is super clean and organized...:rolleyes: I'm not sure if I will make a fill tube or not for next time... It wasn't that bad, but make sure you have a transmission funnel, long slender one, before you start.

And if you own a beetle, you don't need to remove the battery and tray for this procedure even though the new Bently tells you to... and work around the line over the filter, there is plenty of wiggle room. There appeared to be what looked like a fill tube with a cover right next to the battery tray that would require it's removal but since I was already 1 quart into the snoozefest before I noticed, I didn't spend any time investigating it. Since I knew it would take some effort and time to remove the battery.. I plugged on... plus I was making good headway on my organizational skills.

Overall, anyone with a set of ramps, a 14mm or 9/16 hex, drain pan and a funnel can do this job with ease.

Last edited:

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle DSG Trans.
Well,
I ponied up and bought the VAG.COM just to be safe, I didn't think the tool was all that necessary, 99 degrees to 113 degrees is a wide range as you say.

At present I am going to get some clear plastic tubing for the refill of the transmission and I'll borrow another set of jack stands so I can get the car level (2006 New Beetle)

Thanks for posting up.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Feelin Good....

about 40K after all these posts. I have a RossTech VAG unit and feel confident that I can do this with the array of specialized tools I have access too.

And people gripe about the DSG. :-D

Thanks Guys!