DIY: DSG Transmission scheduled maintenance (40K miles interval)

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
LF06VWJTDI said:
§ Lift the vehicle. Pay close attention to the lifting points and make sure the car is at level when lifted. The picture below shows the recommended lift points.

Question for anyone using ramps:

Is there a way to drive the car (safely) onto two sets of ramps in order to maintain it level ?
(If I understand it correctly, the amount of DSG fluid in the gearbox is determined by it overflowing through the snorkel tube. If you just drive the front-wheels onto a set of ramps, you might end up with an incorrect amount)

A3dsg

TDI
AUDI A3 2.0 TDI 140HP DSG
dsg oil temperature

Hi guys
writing from italy
I got an A3 dsg 2.0 tdi 140 hp
i'm very interested on your article regarding how to chenge dsg fluid
and how to make your own vas 6262 .
I learn all the procedure show in the article but question is:
how to check the dsg oil temperature without vagcom????
untestud that is necessary to overflow the oil in excess
thanks in advance for the answer and sorry if my english is uncorrect
byby

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, Seat Leon FR PD 150 6 speed.
Temp

A3dsg said:
Hi guys
writing from italy
byby
The only way to fill correctly is to know the temperature. Since the DSG has no opening to put in a temperature probe vagcom is the only way to go. Check the tdi club for someone in your area with vagcom and get them to help you.

dmon_67

TDI
2005.5 Jetta reflex silver
Vagcom

How much does a VAGCOM cost?:confused:

If it is reasonable, Most people could do this service themselves using all the good instructions posted here on how to perform the job and make the VAS6262 tool. ;)

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
A3dsg said:
Hi guys
writing from italy
byby
Ciao A3,
per controllare la temperatura del DSG devi selezionare l'opzione 2 (Automatic Transmission) e una volta dentro premi il tasto Measuring Blocks. Digita 019 nel gruppo 1 e controlla i valori del campo con sottoscritta Automatic Transmission Fluid. Purtroppo non esiste un'opzione per controllare la temperatura senza l'ausilio dello strumento VAG-COM. Spero di esserti stato d'aiuto. Ciao! :)

Marauderer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta "Diesel Edition"
LF06VWJTDI said:
Ciao A3,
per controllare la temperatura del DSG devi selezionare l'opzione 2 (Automatic Transmission) e una volta dentro premi il tasto Measuring Blocks. Digita 019 nel gruppo 1 e controlla i valori del campo con sottoscritta Automatic Transmission Fluid. Purtroppo non esiste un'opzione per controllare la temperatura senza l'ausilio dello strumento VAG-COM. Spero di esserti stato d'aiuto. Ciao! :)
I thought he was doing great with his English. Now I can't figure out what is being said.:(

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
Marauderer said:
I thought he was doing great with his English. Now I can't figure out what is being said.:(
Nothing that hasn't been already said. :) I just told him that the only way to check the ATF is via VAG-COM.
I was just excited to meet a fellow member from my birthland.

Marauderer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta "Diesel Edition"
LF06VWJTDI said:
Nothing that hasn't been already said. :) I just told him that the only way to check the ATF is via VAG-COM.
I was just excited to meet a fellow member from my birthland.

Ah, Nice. I understand now:D I have met so many folks from around the world since the internet came along it is really neat Back on thread, there is no substitute for VAG-COM. It was one of the first purchases I made after I got my TDI.

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
Marauderer said:
Ah, Nice. I understand now:D I have met so many folks from around the world since the internet came along it is really neat Back on thread, there is no substitute for VAG-COM. It was one of the first purchases I made after I got my TDI.
Same here. It was my second. My first mod ever was the euroswitch.

dmon_67

TDI
NON VW with VAG-COM

I am seriously thinking of purchasing a VAG COM but I have one question.
Can you use it to scan cars that are not VW or AUDI?

If I can, this would make the purchase less painful as I could use it to at least scan for OBD-II trouble code in my other 2 cars.

A3dsg

TDI
Hi guys
thanks for the italian message (he wrote in italian language due to nostalgic matter :D )
anyway the broblem is this:
I reach already 67.000 km and in my service book is mentione that is time to perfome dsg transmission oil change.
I went to the local audi service and the persons on duty says "yes you are right but unfortunately we don' have the vas6262 to do that job, we must order vas 6262 and soon will arrive I'll call you and we change the oil" this appened one mounth ago.
now in order to avoid wait/waste other time wos trying to do myself but the cost of vas6262 and vagcom is too high and i unnderstand that is better wait the service man call.

byby

A3dsg

TDI
sorry forgot says that as per previus instructions make your own vas6262 at home is very easy and thinking about make it, ordering the nut/plug, but remain the vag-com that for my is very unless to buy just for an oil change.

byby

p.s.
hoping that you understand wath I'm writing:D

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Revision C DSG tranny filter

Gentlemen, let me present VWs latest and greatest version of the filter for the DSG tranny. Toilet not included........:)

WillR

Veteran Member
I just did this job yesterday. I had the Rev C filter, which is shown two posts above.

Job was easy. I bought the VW tool a month or so from the site listed in one of the post. Opened drain plug, all my fluid came out. Then I found the fill tube was loose, removed it, cleaned it, and reinstalled it to correct torque.
I removed the battery to get to the filter. I did not have a 15/16" flex socket (I mean 24mm :) ). Besides the battery terminals need to be cleaned every once and a while.

I measured what came out 4.5L, put 5 back in, let car warm up to recommended temperatures on VAGcom, pulled adaptor and .5L came back out. Put drain plug back in. As others have said, as long as you can check the temperature, its Idiot proof, the fluid drains out the adaptor until the level is correct, then changes from a stream to a couple drops, and you know you are done.

Then I noticed I had a light for traction control and air bag on the dash. Put car back on ground, cleared all codes (had codes for at least steering assist and traction control). Took it out for a drive and lights went out. Checked again, No codes.

My wife called this morning, "Honey, the electric passenger seat will not go back up". It went down since I did the job because I rode in the Passenger seat last night. My Daughter always moves it all the way up and my head hits the roof, so I have to lower it before I can get into the car.

Any Ideas on how to make the seat work again? I will see if there are any codes once the get home today.

For those that are trying to figure out what this “VW liquid Gold” really is, it smells like hydraulic fluid to me, but it probably has something extra mixed in so you cannot use standard hydraulic fluid you buy at the farm store.

dmon_67

TDI
VAGCOM works with other cars

TDIJetta99 said:
You can use the OBD2 function to scan almost anything from 1996 and newer.. I scanned an 06 Maxima today with my Vag-Com because someone else was using the scanner...

I was also able to use my new VAGCOM to check OBDII codes in my other two cars ( 97 Mazda Millenia and 96 Nissan pick up). I was able to check and clear 2 DTC errors from my Mazda over the weekend. In addition I was able to check timing, coolant temp, rpm etc using the live mode.

This is a big time bonus for buying the VAGCOM in addition to saving yourself major $$ from not going to the stealerships for stuff like this transmission service.

WillR

Veteran Member
I used it on a 2002 Dodge Ram around 2 years ago, just to see what it would tell me. I ended up with an overhead console that said "buss fail". Dealer replaced it under warrantee.

Crosley

TDI
Sold
I bought these items today.....heck of an easy way to spend 131 bucks

last week I called a local PHX Arizona dealer for a price quote on a DSG trans service.... Camelback VW. Our Jetta has been there for warranty work in the past.

The service rep tells me the tranny is sealed and needs no service.. I correct him on that point... I am then put on 'hold'

Service rep comes back and says; "I can not tell you a price, we have never serviced a DSG tranny, we are not sure of the parts and labor."

OK , that is two red flags.

So I will service the trans myself

WillR

Veteran Member
I also bought 6L. I measured what came out, 4.5L. I put 5 back in, then 1/2L drained once the Temp reading was OK and I opened the adaptor to set the level.

Crosley

TDI
Sold
I serviced my DSG trans....

I did the service a bit different.

I used a pump to push the DSG oil up into the tranny. A 5/16 steel line with a hose on the end worked great with the plastic oil-level tranny insert

My VAG-com setup to read the temp of oil of the tranny??? A probe type temp gauge commly used for auto A/C work.

R&R the DSG filter was a slight challenge... I only removed the air box lid and filter... loosened one bolt to tip the box out so I could get the filter cover out to change the O ring..

I rotated the tires too... we have 41k miles on the Bridgestones..

TDI
jetta tdi 2006
Wrong Procedure

As per VW service manual. DSG oil should be drained on plug A which is a plug near the lefthand tire and not on the check plug B that is near the engine.:D

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
A lot of the DSG transmissions (like mine) only have the check plug, so it serves double duty.

clark246810

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI, DSG Golf Sport Wagon
Ok I read thru this entire post and I still dont know if I can bypass all the b.s. of putting in the fluid thru the drain plug and instead put it in thru the filter cavity. that makes it a breeze, then vag-com the trans temp, drain off excess and your done!! Has anyone tried to fill thru the trans filter? That seems to be the simplest and smartest way to do it, hands down!! Come on guys, someone out there had to think of this and try it?