DIY: DSG Transmission scheduled maintenance (40K miles interval)

Athfar

TDI
2006 2.0T
Hey guys,
I am about to order parts. I'm pretty meticulous about putting VAG parts back in the car unless they are "upgrades" or extensive reports from you guys (thanks) stating they haven't had problems.

I had a few questions before I order,
Is the VAICO DSG oil an OE supplier for VW?
Is the VAICO filter OE? I found a this thread that states one might actually be made of a different material?

Those two are sold in a pair from ECS Tuning for a fair price (I like ECS because countless times I've used their photos to figure out what the heck I need). Anyone have experience with these?
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_V--2.0T/Maintenance/Transmission/ES11968/

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Hey guys,
I am about to order parts. I'm pretty meticulous about putting VAG parts back in the car unless they are "upgrades" or extensive reports from you guys (thanks) stating they haven't had problems.

I had a few questions before I order,
Is the VAICO DSG oil an OE supplier for VW?
Is the VAICO filter OE? I found a this thread that states one might actually be made of a different material?

Those two are sold in a pair from ECS Tuning for a fair price (I like ECS because countless times I've used their photos to figure out what the heck I need). Anyone have experience with these?
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_V--2.0T/Maintenance/Transmission/ES11968/
Never seen or used that fluid but I always order from http://shopping.boraparts.com Aaron is awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:

ITDID

TDI
2006 jetta BRM engine, DSG
any merit to doing a periodic total drain of the dsg?

Has anybody done a complete drain? is there a way to pump a dsg dry? It kinda makes sense to get all or most of the old stuff out once in a few changes. I'm coming up on change number 3.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
The standard drain should be adequate. The only way I can think of, to get more fluid out, is to rebuild the trans. I think that is way out of scope fo what you are wanting to do.

Tony

X33

TDI
TDI Cup
Looking for some opinions on my DSG service. I opted for the measure and refill method.

I have a TDI Cup. Used homemade ramps to get a bit off the ground so I could get under it to work. That gets it about 3 inches up in the front.

I marked all the fresh bottles to get a baseline. Then I drained all fluid and was very careful not to spill. I then measured it by pouring the used fluid into one of the empty bottles I just poured in. I measured 4.6l drained. I then poured in that amount plus .05l (to account for filter) for a total of 4.65l. Started car and went thru gears and all seemed fine.

I guess it is the thought of needing almost 4.7 that made me a bit nervous.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I too, just serviced my DSG trans. My car was up at an angle, but my drive way is at an angle. Likewise, at <45C, I had a net refill of ~4.7L.

Tony

disco biscuit

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
So all the part numbers worked for the 2010 Jetta..I finished filling from the top, got everything put back together, but stopped. When running the car to warm up fluid do you leave it running while draining the excess/getting the level right. I know on other regular autos the level is checked running. It should leak out more than the proper level when not running due to pumps and such sucking up fluid while in operation???

Running or not when the level is checked via overflow tube?

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
And start the car before removing the plug to drain the excess.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
after the fill, important to do the following in order.

start car.

check fluid temp. if too warm, turn off the car and wait.

start car again.

run through gears.

check fluid temp. as it gets close to bottom of specified range, go through all the gears again,

remove plug

drain till the level is set by the snorkel. ( a little spurt once in a while is normal, so do not wait for it to end.)

replace plug. (you can stop the car now)

take a good look around.

replace plastic cover, and don't leave any of the fasteners out. they are there for a reason.

disco biscuit

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Service went off without a hitch...well threw all kind of battery disconnect codes but all ironed out following the directions on here. Still learning vcds. Afterwards I changed the fuel filter and primed the pump...so I guess I'll learn.

While under the car I noticed some pressure lines leaving the top of the dsg toward the front of the motor slightly...connected to what looked like a cooler. On the bottom is a black filter cap, looks like. Did I miss something. Is there something in this "cooler" serviceable?

disco biscuit

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Yeah but that's not it. I have changed the oil and filter obviously if attempting a ridiculously meticulous dsg change. I don't mean that condasending. I appreciate the guess. And its good to know the filter is on top of the oil cooler.

This cooler has hoses leaving the top of the dsg and looks to be a tranny cooler...but has a filter housing facing downwards. Its in a weird spot. Hangs at a slight angle and is only visible from underneath. Lol that's what she said.

I knew I should took a picture...is there a sticky thread or something with pics of a cr and components pointed out...exploded diagram? I ain't ordered a manual yet.

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Yes, you are talking about the engine oil cooler and the DSG fluid cooler.. both coolers run antifreeze from the cooling system to cool the dsg and engine oil.. They are regular heat exchangers.. The hoses you see are carrying engine coolant..

disco biscuit

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Do you know what that filter cover is. I didn't see anything about servicing it. So the dsg cooler is the one I saw and the engine oil is under the oil filter.

That's gotta be a dsg cooler filter or something there huh?

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The cover on the bottom of the engine oil cooler is the cap that holds it on.. No need to mess with it unless you're changing the cooler..

The DSG filter is on top of the transmission kinda under the battery tray.. That's the only serviceable filter on the unit..

disco biscuit

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Ok...thx for the info. That cap looked exactly like the other filter caps. Thought I missed something. I need to go ahead and grab a manual.

I still think were talking about different things. The cooler sits on top of the dsg next to the dsg filter. Two hoses leave the cooler and go to another cooler looking thing hangs down visible only from under the car with a filter cap like the others pointing down under the car.

Last edited:

Scorpo900

TDI
Golf 2011 4D
Just did this service on my 2006 Jetta. I used the top fill method.

I removed the air filter box and battery/case. Blew the area around the filter with compressed air to reduce the risk of dust and dirt getting inside the filter area. The Hoppy funnel from Wally is priceless! http://www.walmart.com/ip/FloTool-Measu-Funnel-7pc/16889147. I wouldn't even think of filling from the bottom - that is just so backwards!

This thread is great, and the various methods have been well described in previous messages above, but I'll list my process anyway.

1) Jack front of car up and please use jackstands. Remove plastic skid plate.
2) Place drain pan and remove DSG drain plug with 14mm hex. A couple of litres of fluid will drain.
3) Remove plastic standpipe from drain hole with 8mm hex. Remainder of oil will drain.
4) Remove airbox and related plumbing and set aside. Unplug MAF sensor, vac hose, etc - I won't describe every little detail - some basic mechanical knowledge is required. Remember where things go back. Remove battery and mounting box.
5) Clean area around DSG filter. Remove filter cap with 24mm socket or big crescent or plumbing wrench (gasp!). Pull out filter straight up.
6) Replace plastic standpipe (not too tight), and DSG drain plug (to 33 ft lbs).
7) Put the hoppy funnel's black plastic end piece into the filter center hole. Begin filling with DSG fluid. Warm the fluid in hot water or use a little ceramic heater on the bottles as warm fluid flows faster. Stop after 4.6 litres is added. Remove funnel.
8) Pop new filter in place by pushing straight down. Replace o-ring on the filter cap and spin it on. Tighten to 15 ft lbs (not too tight).
9) Put your battery and air intake parts all back on. Lower car.

DONE.

(Note do all this at your own risk - this describes the process I just used and is not advice)
Is this applicable to dsg on 2011 tdi 2.0 golf? Thanks.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok...thx for the info. That cap looked exactly like the other filter caps. Thought I missed something. I need to go ahead and grab a manual.

I still think were talking about different things. The cooler sits on top of the dsg next to the dsg filter. Two hoses leave the cooler and go to another cooler looking thing hangs down visible only from under the car with a filter cap like the others pointing down under the car.
We're talking about the same thing.. the hoses carry engine coolant (G12).. the engine coolant is used to cool the oil and DSG.. The coolant loop goes from the engine, to the DSG cooler, to the oil cooler, and back to the engine..

disco biscuit

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Ahh...OK. 10-4. I see it goes down under the front of the engine...and I guess back up toward the oil filter. You gotta admit that black filter cap looks like it would be serviceable. You say its a cover and holds it in place. I believe you now. Just needed clarification I guess. Thx again.

cloud09

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
As great a DIY thread as this is, I just didn't have the time to do this myself, so had the dealer do it today. They charged $274 for the 40K mile DSG trans service which consisted of $124.32 for parts and $150 for labor. They do NOT include this in their 40K mile scheduled maint service which they charge $419 for. Looking at the itemized list of maint tasks they do, I don't see how it all adds up to $419, so I'll probably do those things myself, a little at a time over the next few months.
Have you guys seen this thread where a VW dealer in S. Florida is selling parts a a 20% discount ? http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=274514

Last edited:

kazin

TDI
Golf 2012 DSG
Figured I'd give this thread a bit of a bump, as I am thinking of doing my first DSG service on my own. Currently as of now I have 33k on my odometer, but was considering doing my service around 36k right after my warranty ends. My plan is to complete the service a bit early as I've been told its better to run the flush when tuning is involved. As of now, I am leaning towards getting Malone's +1.5 stage tune (with DSG tune) and wish to do the flush before starting the tune; therefore, I know I have a clean slate so to speak with the tune. Does this sound like a solid idea?

Also, I have a quick question regarding parts. I've read through this thread as a homemade VAS6262 tool, but I did also come across this site as an alternative: http://mobilfaction.com/vas6262.html

Would you guys suggest going this route for the tool, or would you suggest different alternative. I am hoping to find a sold told for the job and not hurt my wallet too much.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I bought a replacement drain plug and made my own tool with a valve at the drain plug and a quick disconnect so I could drain the excess.
Also, I use a gear oil pump to fill, instead of waiting for gravity feed.

HTH

Tony
Sent from my e-diesel fleet

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
To speed up gravity feeds, I just punched a little hole in the bottom of the bottle while it was held up.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Figured I'd give this thread a bit of a bump, as I am thinking of doing my first DSG service on my own. Currently as of now I have 33k on my odometer, but was considering doing my service around 36k right after my warranty ends. My plan is to complete the service a bit early as I've been told its better to run the flush when tuning is involved. As of now, I am leaning towards getting Malone's +1.5 stage tune (with DSG tune) and wish to do the flush before starting the tune; therefore, I know I have a clean slate so to speak with the tune. Does this sound like a solid idea?

Also, I have a quick question regarding parts. I've read through this thread as a homemade VAS6262 tool, but I did also come across this site as an alternative: http://mobilfaction.com/vas6262.html

Would you guys suggest going this route for the tool, or would you suggest different alternative. I am hoping to find a sold told for the job and not hurt my wallet too much.
that looks like a good alternative. not sure how the bottle end works. looks like it has some detail to let air into the bottle. the trick is that you need to let air into the container as the fluid drains. I have the VAS part, and it has a moving part which opens a bit to let air in, but closes under pressure to not let fluid leak out the same path.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
Do a "top fill". Skip the tool and the esoteric overflow process.. Do a search here for the procedure.
Works well.

kcunniff

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS BEW (5spd)
Have you guys seen this thread where a VW dealer in S. Florida is selling parts a a 20% discount ? http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=274514
All you need to ask for is the "TDI discount" at Gunther VW in order to get the 20% parts discount. This dealer is less than two miles from my house, and I have bought many parts, fluids, etc. Very nice deal they offer on OEM materials.