ditched OE Hankooks

Victor-Whiskey

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
I hated the OE Hankooks from day 1. I thought they were noisy; and frankly, I'm a tire snob and don't like Hankook. After only 1300 mi I ditched them for Michelin Primacy MXV4... what an improvement. Nearly silent, plusher, better steering response, and more grip. Not sure about rolling resistance, but they are Green X.
I know it seems wasteful to buy tires for a car with 1300 mi, but I have a trailer with 16" Saab wheels I will use the Hankooks on.
The new tires improved my JSW a lot and were worth the expense. Highly recommended for MKVI with Hankooks :)

Last edited:

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
Took my Hankooks off with 20 miles on them!
I drove home from the dealer and put the 17" Pirelli PZero Nero tires with VW goal wheels on. Sold the Hankooks on Craigslist.
I can't believe VW has such a crappy tire as OEM. The Hankook Optima that come on the car are getting very bad reviews in "wet traction".

Tms0425

TDI
Sold - 2010 JSW TDI DSG
Took my Hankooks off with 20 miles on them!
I drove home from the dealer and put the 17" Pirelli PZero Nero tires with VW goal wheels on. Sold the Hankooks on Craigslist.
I can't believe VW has such a crappy tire as OEM. The Hankook Optima that come on the car are getting very bad reviews in "wet traction".
I took mine off with 200 miles or so, but didn't bother putting them up for sale. Just curious how much did you get for them on CL?

spheniscus

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen tdi (6sp. man./platinum gray)
Trading my '06 Jetta tdi for an '11 Sportwagen tdi this weekend....going to love the extra room and access on long camping trips.
When I test drove the Sportwagen with the Hankooks, I noticed the steering while precise felt much slower responding to inputs than my '06 with the OEM Michelins. The rep told me they'd changed the steering box and softened the feedback for the American market, which didn't sound quite right to me (also told me they were using a timing chain so no more tb jobs ...knew that was wrong!)
Would the tires account for that much difference in feedback when cornering?

Canyonlands

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M
I'm pretty sure this is what I put on our e46 325iT(5spd MT) and I've owned close relatives of this tire on several other BMWs and have been quite impressed with them.

The last set I had was the SUV version on our 2006 X5(6spd MT) and after 52,000 hard driven miles with never a re-balance, they're still going strong with no apparent need for attention. I'm sure some of this comes down to the balanced nature of BMW automobiles but a lot of it has to be the tires as well. As Michelin says, "Sit back and enjoy the next 60,000 miles...".

I wanted my 2011 with 16" Biolines so I can swap snows on them and buy the summer wheels/tires of my choice. My car and the stock tires (Turanzas) have just over 2,000 miles on them and as soon as we drop below these crazy unusual 85 degree days, the virtually new stock tires are gone.

The Michelins will be in the running for my summer use tires. I'm also watching for additional long term data on the Yokohama AVID ENVigor just for the sake of comparison.

itchytweed

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
I still have the OE Hankook's on Gretchen. I see no need to get rid of them. The road feel is just fine and I have not had any loss in confidence with their handling in tight, speedy turns.

Canyonlands

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M
I don't know what the stock Hankooks are for the JSW but the Hankook Optimo H727 is the top rated tire in the lower "Standard Touring All-Season" category (via the survey at Tire Rack). This is the same category that the stock Bridgestone Turanza 400s are found in, except instead of being on the top of the survey with the Hankooks, the Turanza 400s are found waaaay down at the bottom. As in Run Away! Run Away! In any case, I wouldn't buy tires from that category because nothing in it is rated at the top of the tire heap.

The following are the rock stars of the summer tire world according to the extensive user reviews found at the tire rack. Only tires with 8.5 or better (out of 10) in nearly every summer performance category are listed here.
Note that some lean toward high performance and others lean toward long wear. Weights listed are for 205/55 16s.

Continental ExtremeContact DW (Max Performance Summer)
205/55ZR16 Speed Rating “W” = 168mph Treadwear: 340
Traction: AA Temperature: A340 AA A Max 51 psi Tread Depth: 10/32" Wt: 19lbs.
Country of Origin "BR" = BRAZIL
HPR:9.1 WT:9.2 CS:8.9 DT:9.3 SR:8.6 RC:9.3 NC:9.2 TW:8.7

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position (Ultra High Performance All-Season)
205/55R16 Speed Rating “W” = 168mph Treadwear: 400
Traction: AA Temperature: A400 AA A Max 51 psi Tread width: 11/32" Wt: 24lbs.
Country of Origin "MX" = MEXICO and "JP" = JAPAN
HPR:8.7 WT:8.9 CS:8.8 DT:9.1 SR:8.7 RC:8.8 NC:8.6 TW:8.6

Yokohama AVID ENVigor (H&V) (High Performance All-Season)
205/55R16 Speed Rating “V” = 149mph Treadwear: 560
Traction: A Temperature: A560 A A Max 51 psi Tread Depth: 10/32" Wt: 22lbs.
Country of Origin "US" = UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
HPR:8.9 WT:9.1 CS:8.9 DT:9.3 SR:9.0 RC:8.8 NC:8.7 TW:9.1

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S (High Performance All-Season)
205/55R16 Speed Rating “H” = 130mph Treadwear: 400
Traction: A Temperature: A400 A A Max 44 psi Tread Depth: 10/32" Wt: 23lbs.
Country of Origin "US" = UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
HPR:8.7 WT:8.8 CS:8.8 DT:9.1 SR:8.8 RC:8.8 NC:8.4 TW:8.7

Michelin Primacy MXV4 (Grand Touring All-Season)
205/55R16 Speed Rating “H” = 130mph LRR: Low Rolling Resistance Treadwear: 620
Traction: A Temperature: A620 A A Max 44 psi Tread Depth: 11/32" Wt: 23lbs.
Country of Origin "US" = UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and "CA" = CANADA
HPR:8.6 WT:8.6 CS:8.7 DT:9.1 SR:8.7 RC:9.0 NC:8.8 TW:9.1

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity (Grand Touring All-Season)
205/55R16 Speed Rating “H” = 130mph Treadwear: 740
Traction: A Temperature: A740 A A Max 44 psi Tread Depth: 12/32" Wt. 25lbs.
Country of Origin "ID" = INDONESIA and "JP" = JAPAN
HPR:8.7 WT:8.8 CS:8.7 DT:9.1 SR:8.6 RC:9.1 NC:8.8 TW:8.8

HPR = Hydroplaning Resistance
WT = Wet Traction
CS = Cornering Stability
DT = Dry Traction
SR = Steering Response
RC = Ride Comfort
TW = Treadwear

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp

Last edited:

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
I agree was well. I ran the hankooks for 12k miles and wound up sliding into an intersection in the rain. My life is worth more than $800 to me so ditched the cheep Chinese tires in favor of some expensive Japanese ones (Bridgestones)

LandCruiser

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Mazda Miata
I agree was well. I ran the hankooks for 12k miles and wound up sliding into an intersection in the rain. My life is worth more than $800 to me so ditched the cheep Chinese tires in favor of some expensive Japanese ones (Bridgestones)
:rolleyes:

Hankook? Chinese? I don't think so.

Bridgestone...I have them now but trust me, they also made some absolutely terrible models too. Hankooks also made some very good summer and R compounds.

You really have no idea about tires right? Tell your wife to slow down.

ziggy55

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Hankook is a Korean company but the Hankook Optimo's on our Golfs are made in China and plain out suck.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
:rolleyes:

Hankook? Chinese? I don't think so.

Yes, "MADE IN CHINA" means, well, made in China. :rolleyes:

And yes, they are crap. I have taken a few off of new Volkswagens here myself, you guys are not the only ones complaining.

But I have all of you beat:

1995 Golf Sport, OE GY came off at 17 miles.
1995 Golf GL, OE GY came off at 4 miles.
2004 Passat, OE Continentals came off at PDI. :D

Yes, I too am a Michelin snob. Too bad. :)

schnauzer

TDI
2010 jetta sportwagen
No complaints/problems with the Hankooks here. When the time comes to replace I will be looking at all the options. Have to say I was alittle surprised to see the Hankooks on there in the first place. The Hankooks are I believe a low roll resistance tire, and to have an apples to apples comparison you'd have to compare them to similar tires. I would expect some loss of grip given the nature of the tire, but don't know for sure.

That said, I have had experience with Hankooks in a different application and they were an excellent tire. Had them (RS-2s) on a Miata that I autocrossed regularly. Inexpensive, stuck like glue, and provided decent wear given the abuse they were given. IMO good tire for the money.
Just because a tire is made in Korea/China doesn't mean it is substandard. Its the manufacturing specification that counts, not the place of origin.

In the past I used to buy Michelins believing they were a superior tire. Not so anymore. While they are undoubtably a high quality tire, they are generally on the high end on cost without benefit to justify the cost differential IMO.

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
I have been alternating between the Hankooks for summer and Dunlop winter tires. So my Hankooks probably have 18,000 on them now. I will probably change over around Dec. 1. In the spring the Hankooks are road kill.

I am very interested in your results with different tires.

1goindiesel

TDI
13 Wagen 6 manual TDI
I too am a "tire snob" and will NOT put up with even the slightest balance issues.
I always buy new michelins for my new cars and trucks....until now.
The Hankooks on my 6man JSW diesel are performing and wearing very well (8000 miles).
Will not be changing them until they show/feel wear and as of now they look as new.
I bought a FJ Cruiser last March and this car in June.
My FJ is now a garage queen as all I want to drive on a daily basis is this sweet wagon.

Last edited:

SalsaRed2010

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagon, 2013 Jetta SportWagon, and 2010 Jetta SportWagon
Keeping them for now. The car is my wife's daily driver, so she is the ultimate judge. The Michelins on my outgoing Golf are so bald, I'm spoiled by anything that does not scare the s#$t out of me on a wet (or dry for that matter) roads. When you only drive it 2 miles each day to the commuter lot, you let things like that slide... literraly. As for the noise, I have not noticed too much from our Hankooks on long highway trips. Will swap to Michelin or Dunlop when the time comes though.

Jet mech

TDI
2010 JSW
I removed the Hankooks the first week we had the JSW and put on Conti DWS 17s and it made a huge difference. Also i shaved 2 lbs per wheel/tire by getting rid of the stock 16inch biolines/Hankooks which was a bonus. :)

Biffster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
My 2010 JSW TDI came stock OEM-equipped with Michelin Primacy MXV4 rubber on 17" Portos. I think they're on the noisy side, so if the HopSings are any louder that would really suck.

DriverFoundNC

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW in Salsa Red; 2005 Golf in Indigo Blue
I have the Hankooks with about 8K miles on them...drove almost 900 miles in pissing down rain this week. Not a hint of hydroplaning. Not once. The Continentals I put on my B6 Passat would hydroplane in a heavy dew. And I found the Hankooks handle the curves of the West Virginia Turnpike pretty well, are reasonably quiet and ride well. They're staying on the car until they wear out.

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
Think those were bad, you should have had the Bridgestone EL 400 02's from the factory... scary at best!
That is what I got...terrible....just bad bad bad...can't wait until 3 or 4 more weeks for the new XIce2 winters go on....the EL400's will be for sale el cheapo....then dedicated summers in April....

DavidNJCPA

TDI
Jetta
Hanook

I have the Hanooks too, and until some of the more recent posts, thought I was losing my mind while I was reading.

I think it handles superbly in dry and rain conditions.

I have not really been through much snow with it since I started driving it Feb 2010.

Not much wear either. I am at 24K miles.

I will likely use the tires until they go below safe depth. I will decide then if the Hanooks have withstood the test of time, and may for the first time in my life buy a replacement tire that was OEM installed!

Oh, and I was very nervous driving the Hanooks when I got the car. I have always had Michelins and Contis.

David

9C1_2NV

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
i've also hated the hankooks since day 1 and have thought multiple times about changing them out for a dedicated summer tire. i used winter tires on steel wheels for the majority of this past winter (@8K miles) and my hankooks now have @18K on them and are showing some wear. i've decided that since i'll be changing over to the winter set up in a few weeks, i'm going to pick up a set of 17's with summer tires in the spring.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
My 2011 JSW came with 17" all-season Conti's on porto rims and I have zero complaints thus far.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
guess I am completely clueless....just put the hankooks back on after a long winter with snows...bought car in winter...so never drove em...they are quiet as a church...FINE in the rain and handle as well as I want them to as I dont drive at indy on weekends with my TDI...never felt slippage unless I really nail it at a light but that would happen with any tire....not following the rants and negative comments....I am curious who is the guy/gal with the highest miles on these tires,....aint no tire snob but if they only last 20K then my opinion will change....running mine 36PSI all around...very quiet at 90MPH....lol