Disabling airbags for mods/maintenance

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
It has been asked several times in this forum about disabling airbags because of aftermarket seats, so I'll post this here.

Check for local regulations before performing any deactivation/reactivation. For example, Germany requires that this must be checked by an authorized test center and entry made in the vehicle documents.

This information is shared for persons working on cars and need to temporarily disable the airbags, or others with a need to do so (e.g. frequently carrying a small child in the front passenger seat). The airbags are there for safety, I recommend that they normally be enabled.

Note: this description is based on using VAG-COM from Ross-Tech and having prior experience using it. If using anything else you will have to adapt the instructions.

1) determine if your car can do this. Use VAG-COM (or equivalent) to access the airbag controller. Look at the Component box in the upper right corner. In the middle of the string you should see 'VWx' where x is a number. This number must be 5 or higher. Anything lower requires a special resistance kit installation (1J0 998 521). An exception to this is VW3 with part number 1J0 909 609. This controller does not require the resistance connector.

2) Click on 10-Adaptation

3) Click up for the channel number to get to channel 01. This is the passenger front airbag channel. The value is 0 (zero) for 'enabled'. Click the up arrow to make it a '1'. Click 'Save' and confirm the prompt. This will disable that airbag.

For the other airbags, disabling them is a matter of choosing a different channel.
1 - passenger front
2 - driver front (steering wheel)
3 - passenger side (seat airbag)
4 - driver side
5 - passenger belt tensioner
6 - driver belt tensioner
7 - passenger head
8 - driver head

Enabling the airbag is just a matter of performing the same steps but decrementing the channel value from 1 to 0.

When an airbag is disabled, the airbag light will light on the cluster for the normal 4 seconds when you first turn the starter key to the on position, then additionally flash for 12 seconds.

steviec

TDI
VW Bora
Hi

Thanks MOGolf for the thread. I have logged into my Bora and disabled the airbag as suggested however I then get a resistance too low warning that appears once the airbag is disabled, I have tested this on the drivers side too and the same error appears. If I clear the error it goes away then reappears.

Details below of error.

VAG-COM version: Released 311.2-N
Control Module Part: 1C0 909 605 A
Component and/or Version: 27 AIRBAG VW51 01 02

2 Faults Found:

00589 - Airbag Igniter 1: Passenger Side (N131)
33-00 Resistance too Low
01280 - Airbag: Passenger Side: Disabled
35-00 - -

If I re-enable the airbag the errors disappears (thankfully!)

Any ideas?

Cheers

steve

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
The resistance too low is a common bug on these cars. After disabling the airbag or disconnecting the battery, unplug the connector under the seat, spray it with contact cleaner, and reseat. I cleared the problem on my 99.5 by doing this.

Helvetictrades

TDI
GOLF 5
MOGolf said:
It has been asked several times in this forum about disabling airbags because of aftermarket seats, so I'll post this here.

Check for local regulations before performing any deactivation/reactivation. For example, Germany requires that this must be checked by an authorized test center and entry made in the vehicle documents.

This information is shared for persons working on cars and need to temporarily disable the airbags, or others with a need to do so (e.g. frequently carrying a small child in the front passenger seat). The airbags are there for safety, I recommend that they normally be enabled.

Note: this description is based on using VAG-COM from Ross-Tech and having prior experience using it. If using anything else you will have to adapt the instructions.

1) determine if your car can do this. Use VAG-COM (or equivalent) to access the airbag controller. Look at the Component box in the upper right corner. In the middle of the string you should see 'VWx' where x is a number. This number must be 5 or higher. Anything lower requires a special resistance kit installation (1J0 998 521). An exception to this is VW3 with part number 1J0 909 609. This controller does not require the resistance connector.

2) Click on 10-Adaptation

3) Click up for the channel number to get to channel 01. This is the passenger front airbag channel. The value is 0 (zero) for 'enabled'. Click the up arrow to make it a '1'. Click 'Save' and confirm the prompt. This will disable that airbag.

For the other airbags, disabling them is a matter of choosing a different channel.
1 - passenger front
2 - driver front (steering wheel)
3 - passenger side (seat airbag)
4 - driver side
5 - passenger belt tensioner
6 - driver belt tensioner
7 - passenger head
8 - driver head

Enabling the airbag is just a matter of performing the same steps but decrementing the channel value from 1 to 0.

When an airbag is disabled, the airbag light will light on the cluster for the normal 4 seconds when you first turn the starter key to the on position, then additionally flash for 12 seconds.

(O) zero is for enable an Airbag or disable it ?

Cheers

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
The value of 0 (zero) is for 'enabled'. (Airbag active and ready to blow!)

The value of 1 (one) is for 'disabled'. (Airbag inactive and dormant.)

Hope this helps! :D

bilzer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, silver
Air Bag code 65535

All of the sudden I am pulling a 65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error code. Any suggestions on how/why this appeared?

I have read in on ehte posts that someone disconnected their battery and cleaned their under seat air bag connection and then all was well.

Has anyone experienced a 65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error?:mad:

foobert

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Blue Jetta Wagon
stupid question: it's not possible to cause the airbags to deploy by setting the wrong value in the airbag controller, is it?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The choice is a 0 or a 1, not 0, 1, or boom. ;)

mikercana1

TDI
Golf TDI 2001
Disabling passenger seat airbag

OK
I have disabled the passenger seat airbag. The light flashes when I start the car then the the airbag light comes on steady.
I have had a mishaps on that bag and it came off. I do not want to replace it becaue it is too expensive.
I should be able to remove the airbag connector itself and the light will come off. But which connector is it, I looked under the seat there are a number of connector does it have a specific color?
I have heated seats so there goes at least one connector
Thjere is the seat belt connection sensor, there goes another one
There is probably a pressure switch to sense if there is someone in the seat, there goes another connector
That makes 3 so far,
But I think that I see 5 of them below.
Anything electronic can be fooled to think something is there or isn't there.
I do not work car electronic but I have been doing electronics for 30 years, I can replace ICs inside a control module as long I can figure out which is whcih.
I think that I need help from someone who is an expert on the VW airbag system.

Any help appreciated

BioTodd

TDI
1998 Jetta 1z/ahu engine
I have no airbags can I make the light go away

I have 1998 A3. After crashing my car both airbags deployed, I have put blank airbag covers from a junk car onto my car. Just this year Massachusetts passed a law that will fail my car at inspection if the airbag light is on. Will disabling them turn the light off? Any other tips and tricks?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

The consensus at VWVortex is to place a four-ohm resistor on the airbag wire, taking the place of the airbag. The resistance of the airbag is 3.3-ohms... four is close enough. I'm about to remove my passenger airbag to install an larger glovebox from the '94 Jetta. My airbag is disabled via VAG-COM for my daughther anyway. So I'm not out much by removing it altogether. :)

Safety precautions for anyone looking to muck with airbags: 1) Always disconnect the battery before messing with airbag connections; 2) DO NOT measure the airbag resistance to confirm the 3.3-ohms mentioned above. The voltage from the multimeter could set off the airbag. I don't know how 3.3-ohms was concluded. But they say a 4-ohm resistor prevents the airbag light. I'll trust that for safety's sake. I'll know more soon.

Take Care,

Scott

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

Edited to reflect correct airbag resistance to 3.3-ohms. I decided to try three one-ohm resistors in series. It didn't work. But I learned that was because I didn't shove the leads into the yellow connector far enough. I boogered up my resistors and decided to work with the two I had left. I connected two in series, resulting in 2.5-ohms. It worked! No codes!

Radio Shack PN is 271-0131. Here are some photos:

The twisted connection was crimped before I wrapped it up and hid it behind the dash. :)

Later,

Scott

BioTodd

TDI
1998 Jetta 1z/ahu engine
Airbag light persists.

I tried 2 and 3 ohms on each of the the airbags. Used my vag-com it reads fault codes to airbags as Drivers side Low Resistance intermittent and fault to ground. Passenger reads low resistance intermittent and high resistance intermittent. It also has code 00595 CRASH DATA STORED. Clearing the dtc's does nothing.

you guys think if i just snip the right wire that light will go out and ill pass the inspection? or do you think they will catch it in the ecu?

Thanks!---- Todd

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
I checked various values of resistors, plugged into the yellow connector, instead of plugging the connector on to the airbag. My conclusion was to use a 1.8 or 2.0 ohm, 1 watt resistor. Doesn't have to be one of those big boxy 5 or 10 watt resistors. After cutting the resistor's leads as short as you can, and still having enough length to insert them into the connector, lay the resistor next to the yellow connector and tape it securely down.

Radio Shack does not stick a 1.8 ohm 1 watt resistor: you'll have to go to a better electronics store.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
For the air bag gurus, I am getting this code along with the air bag light on my dash, it is a NB-2000, i tried to clear the code and the fault continues to come back, will the resistor work on this sitaution eventhough the resistance is too high instead of being too low? if so, clould you please elaborate where I'd need to connect the resistor, thanks ahead.

Address 15: Airbags Labels: 6Q0-909-605-VW5.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 6Q0 909 605 A
Component and/or Version: 06 AIRBAG VW5 0003
Software Coding: 12342
Work Shop Code: WSC 00066
1 Fault Found:
01218 - Side Airbag Igniter; Passenger Side (N200)
32-00 - Resistance too High

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Look under the passenger seat for yellow connector. Make sure that connection is good and tight. It might just need reseating to fix the problem.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
MOGolf said:
Look under the passenger seat for yellow connector. Make sure that connection is good and tight. It might just need reseating to fix the problem.

Thanks Mogolf, fixed the problem, I used contact cleaner and plugged the connector and there is no more error.

gabbythepoopalot

Veteran Member
TDI
04.5 jetta tdi pd wagon
so i swapped my 2004.5 tdi with a set of recaros that has side airbag, which made the airbag light to come-On.
can anyone confirm that swapping the seat belt clip from my old seat to my recaros will solve the problem? it's been a while that i've been putting up with the light but i think it's time to fix it because i am getting nervious about possiblilities...bad ones...
thank you in advance for your support!

blackmagic16

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, Black
I have put seats froma 2003.5 in my 2000 and the airbag connector is different so they are not plugged in and the light comes on.

Will the light go away if i turn the air bags off?

jraguilar

TDI
2006 VW JETTA
Need a little help. New to this forum scene so I hope I can get this right. I have an 06 Jetta TDI that was rebuilt from an accident. The hit was in the back, so the rear air bags in the columns next to the rear window deployed. I have since taken off the air bags and tried to clean it up as much as I can but, the deployed air bag light is on the speedometer, can I just deactivate the rear two air bags by themselves, without deactivating the rest? Also the front passenger air bag has a little light that tells me when the front air bag is on or off. I'm not sure if I messed it up by placing my backpack in the passenger seat when I was going to school but now the air bag will not turn on anymore. Any advice on what to do?