Disable key fobs

NRU73

Veteran Member
TDI
02 GOLF TDI Silver, 5 Speed
Hey everyone.

Is it possible to disable the key fobs with Vag-Com?

Long story short my wife lost her keys on the way to work and the remote has really good distance. Can i set the car so it doesn't recognize the remote?

Thanks

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Yes, you can use VAG-COM to program the # of fobs to recognize. So if you have 1 fob left, you can folllow the directions for adapting fob to the CCM and tell it to recognize just 1 fob. The lost fob would not be recognized.

That still leaves the matter of the key being able to physically unlock the door. It could be used to start the car too. The latter can be disabled by using VAG-COM to recognize only the remaining keys (1 with fob and valet key for example). You need the SKC for the cluster to do that.

NRU73

Veteran Member
TDI
Cool, Thanks MOgolf. It looks like i've got something to do this weekend.

NRU73

Veteran Member
TDI
I did reset my fobs so that the car would only recognize 1 of them this morning.
To keep the car from being stolen i did give my wife the "Club" that i have had for years and never seem to use anymore. I didn't re-do the keys with the immobilizer due to not having the SKC nor having time to get it.

But my wife called me with great news. Someone saw her keys on the way in to work from the parking lot a 1/4 mile from the building and picked them up. So i now have to reset the fobs back to 2 but i don't seem to mind.:)

MOGolf, thanks again for the links.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
You're welcome. :)

This also demonstrates another value provided by having VAG-COM (an unsolicited endorsement).