Dirtbike towing?

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
does anybody use their MK7 to move a dirt bike using a motorcycle carrier?

my bike weighs 230 pounds dry. I would rather not get a trailer so I was wondering if this is safe to do with our MK7. I have been seeing max tongue weight of 250 or 300 pounds. total trip is about 2,100 miles with the bike. is this safe to do?

I would be looking to do something like this...

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=389017

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
EZ. My mk6's 2" receiver hitch "eco hitch" is rated 300 tongue.

How is the carrier mounted? Remember a trailer restricts your legal speed limit. Thats enough for me

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
I am looking at this eco hitch:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hi...9.html?VehicleID=201548332#exp-productdetails=

it says 200 pound tongue weight, and 300 pound. so I am not sure which is correct.

im also looking to use this (or similar) carrier:

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Scooter-Dirt-Carrier-Hauler/dp/B0027H200M/ref=sr_1_14?crid=3J1EX661RDABT&dchild=1&keywords=motorcycle+carrier&qid=1595854664&rnid=2470954011&sprefix=motorcycle+carrier%2Caps%2C282&sr=8-14

i just don't want to be halfway across the country and have an issue because i wont be able to do anything about it at that point.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
TTT.... hoping for some confirmation / similar from somebody who has maybe done this?

please don't make me the first...!!

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I tow my 2009 Aprilia Shiver 750 using a hitch carrier similar to this:

It puts far less weight on the tongue (only maybe 25% of your bike's weight. You've just got to be careful around corners and take them slow around town and parking lots, etc. Plus you can't really back up w/o extreme care. But I do like mine.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
I tow my 2009 Aprilia Shiver 750 using a hitch carrier similar to this:

It puts far less weight on the tongue (only maybe 25% of your bike's weight. You've just got to be careful around corners and take them slow around town and parking lots, etc. Plus you can't really back up w/o extreme care. But I do like mine.
interesting, i have never seen this before but i don't think my dirt tire will like such a long trip.

my whole setup is looking like its under 300 pounds. the ecohitch is rated for 300 on the tongue so i think i will be in good shape.

ill be far below the gross weight limits... as it will be just me in the car.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
TTT.... hoping for some confirmation / similar from somebody who has maybe done this?

please don't make me the first...!!
I haul 275#'s of wheel chair + basket, tongue weight, put several hundred miles on it... with 4 adults & misc. Minimal sag but spring bags ARE a good idea. I started with 2" eco hitch because its the highest clearance + 300 tongue and 1 1/4" flexibility (my concern/ phone call to eco confirm weight.) If anyone hauls a basket it WILL drag, I modified the neck to a "Z" 5" rise (I would go 6"). (POST picture) but it ALSO needs at least 10* of upward tilt built in to help the tail sit abit higher and look level with the cars lines. I specified that but fab shop neglected that part. You really don't know its there AND aren't bound to a 55mph ticket.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
yes i did call eco who confirmed 300 pound capacity. everything looks good so far from my end so i guess ill give it a try.

i dont know if it makes a difference, but i plan to use the 2" model... i think that will help with some of the drag that is shown in your photo.

do you happen to have a photo with the modification?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
U]
yes i did call eco who confirmed 300 pound capacity. everything looks good so far from my end so i guess ill give it a try.
i dont know if it makes a difference, but i plan to use the 2" model... i think that will help with some of the drag that is shown in your photo.
do you happen to have a photo with the modification?
I used the 2". The "drag picture" is the straight tube BEFORE it was modified (as detailed in previous post). IF anything I think the hitch should have had a little upward tilt built into it.

A plug in motorcycle rack would be no problem at all. Your way overthing this. BTW what bike?

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
U]
I used the 2". The "drag picture" is the straight tube BEFORE it was modified (as detailed in previous post). IF anything I think the hitch should have had a little upward tilt built into it.
A plug in motorcycle rack would be no problem at all. Your way overthing this. BTW what bike?
believe me... i know. im just used to towing with a 3/4 ton truck.

its a 2008 KTM SX-F

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
believe me... i know. im just used to towing with a 3/4 ton truck.
its a 2008 KTM SX-F
Ha ha, Im showing my age and stupidity but years ago I tow dollied both a 79 Pontiac T/A and a 87 VW westphelia over the altimont pass here... With a (modified engine/brakes) 79 Pinto wagon! Got the car nick named "mouse towing a house"

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
Ha ha, Im showing my age and stupidity but years ago I tow dollied both a 79 Pontiac T/A and a 87 VW westphelia over the altimont pass here... With a (modified engine/brakes) 79 Pinto wagon! Got the car nick named "mouse towing a house"
funny!

so, you would get a kick out of this one. i called up a web retailer to order the motorcycle carrier..... and when the guy asked what vehicle i was using it on, he said "i am sure glad i wont be behind you" and basically told me to buy it somewhere else..... :rolleyes:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
funny!
so, you would get a kick out of this one. i called up a web retailer to order the motorcycle carrier..... and when the guy asked what vehicle i was using it on, he said "i am sure glad i wont be behind you" and basically told me to buy it somewhere else..... :rolleyes:
So are you able (or want to) buy the carrier? Of course dragging a trailer (@55 mph) should satisfy about anyone.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
i bought it from harbor freight. had a coupon for 20% off and a gift card- out of pocket $55 so far on this.

next up is the ecohitch.

maybe ill just bag it while i am here.......

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
just my .02... i haul downhill mountain bikes on a thule T2... i wouldn't want more weight back there than the 2 of them. rack has gotta be 40 pounds and each bike is 40 plus. i'd get a small trailer to put the bike on. I've towed(a likely overweight) unhaul with the TDI with no problems or complaints, just need to leave plenty of following distance and being that ours is a manual I ran 5th gear on the highway and majority left it at the speed limit.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
just my .02... I've towed(a likely overweight) unhaul with the TDI with no problems or complaints..
So its not an issue of weight. The car can pull an oversize unhaul. The 2" is rated at 300 tongue. No issue there.

I would ask myself is there ANY added value to tugging added weight, lower legal speed limit, lower MPG, less visibility, more wiring complication & cost for lights, trailer purchase/rental cost, ?

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
i plan to bag the car after all of this.... so suspension issues can be ruled out.

the question becomes whether or not the back of this car can handle ~270 pounds hanging off the back of it.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
Yes to 270 lbs. Just remember though that it will apply a torque moment to the unibody--the further it hangs from the bumper. Look for one with smallest gap. Be careful over rough roads (i.e. slow the heck down).

And +1 to the bagging of the rear suspension.

Last edited:

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
My point was I would feel much more comfortable towing a small trailer than with this load cantilevered off the back. With my 2 downhill bikes plus rack i worry about hitting a dip that forces the load down and the quality of the welding. also from an economy standpoint a bike oriented forward on a trailer will be better than a giant wind dam across the back

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
My point was I would feel much more comfortable towing a small trailer than with this load cantilevered off the back. With my 2 downhill bikes plus rack i worry about hitting a dip that forces the load down and the quality of the welding. also from an economy standpoint a bike oriented forward on a trailer will be better than a giant wind dam across the back
It’s a valid point but what kind of setup are you using for your downhill bikes? You probably have a 1 1/4 receiver if I had to guess with a 200 pound limit. Your bikes weigh 80 plus the carrier, maybe 40 pounds? So that’s 120. Shouldn’t be too bad. Do you have any suspension modifications?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
It’s a valid point but what kind of setup are you using for your downhill bikes? You probably have a 1 1/4 receiver if I had to guess with a 200 pound limit. Your bikes weigh 80 plus the carrier, maybe 40 pounds? So that’s 120. Shouldn’t be too bad. Do you have any suspension modifications?
I'd worry too... on the funky mounting points of the generic 1 1/4 hitch. The eco hidden hitch uses all 8 bumper mount bolts.

Way overthinking this guys

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
correct... if i needed to haul more bikes i would put them on the roof rather than go to a 2 inn reciever and the thule 4 bike attachment on a golf. A friend has this for his FJC though he is running heavy OME springs so it probably helps dampen the otherwise stiff ride.

This does have to load the suspension more than a standard golf due to the length, you're already another foot back off the car.

to me this falls in the just because you can does that mean you should. my XJ has a tow limit of 5k.. i would feel comfortable towing 3500 with trailer brakes MAX.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
correct... if i needed to haul more bikes i would put them on the roof rather than go to a 2 inn reciever and the thule 4 bike attachment on a golf. .
How has this post devolved to 4 BICYCLES.on a ROOF???

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
How has this post devolved to 4 BICYCLES.on a ROOF???

Because it got serially hijacked? Do I win a point?

Tbe original question and answer were simple. All the rest is personal preference statements...it's all good. People are (probably rightly so) very opinionated about what exactly is "safe towing/hauling".

Here's a good resource on understanding tongue loading as it affects sway: hope it helps someone http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.1029.4946&rep=rep1&type=pdf

A careful reading of the graphs shows that speed is the most important variable in stability.

If you fall in the camp of being more concerned that "it'll rip the unibody to shreds", then you have some more homework to do. Some unibodies are strong. Some aren't. It's a very complex topic actually. Unless you run your own FEA analysis of your car; I'd recommend to stick to manufacturer's recommendations.--Caveat: most manufacturers list much higher permissible maximum tongue loadings in the European market than in NA market, even for EXACTLY identical vehicles. This is because they want to push higher margin SUV and pickemup sales in the North American market, where buyers have largely bought into the propaganda that "you really need an F250 or 2500-series truck to tow 2500 lbs".

Hint: you don't. Just follow the Euro guidelines: never tow more than 85% of the TV's mass. Slow way down (I see you 5th wheelers doing 95 mph, towing a 16,000 lb 36 footer on I-10! You should be in jail, IMO. Most mid-size and even a lot of compact class passenger cars can handle 7%-9% of the towing vehicle's mass to be loaded onto the tongue. (Another hint): it's because when trailer tongue loads exceed 7% of TRAILER MASS at legally permissible speeds, and observing the 85% rule, that's how the numbers shake out--and there's almost NO possibility of sway (self damping always present). That's what the engineers are targeting.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Because it got serially hijacked? Do I win a point?
Hijacked, exactly. Bicycles on roof? I accualy wasn't t referring to your tortional stresses which may or may not have valid points. If you have actual real world negative experience with tortional concerns it could be valid additional input.
It not about scoring jeprody points either.

Because the original question and answer were simple.
Correct that the question is direct and simple ("does anybody use dirt bike to move a dirt bike using a motorcycle carrier"). The OP even includes a link showing an example of his interest. Below is the 1st post for referencing.

does anybody use their MK7 to move a dirt bike using a motorcycle carrier?
my bike weighs 230 pounds dry. I would rather not get a trailer so I was wondering if this is safe to do with our MK7. I have been seeing max tongue weight of 250 or 300 pounds. total trip is about 2,100 miles with the bike. is this safe to do?
I would be looking to do something like this...
https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=389017

Z85rado

TDI
2015 Sportwaged TDI
geez sorry for offending everyone offering real world experience with our cars in similar circumstances.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
geez sorry for offending everyone offering real world experience with our cars in similar circumstances.
Non taken. Were a thick skin bunch ;) . Just may seem obnoxious. Welcome input

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
Well I got my motorcycle carrier, waiting on my ecohitch and I’ll get to testing and report back!

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Just a side note
I used the rack @ full load again through the Ca. gold country foothill twieties the other day and the tpms light came on. That reminded me this happened before. Because tpms is controlled thru wheel speed differential and not using inner tire pressure sensors, you may experience this too.? Its a simple reset in the glove box. All is well.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
just my .02... i haul downhill mountain bikes on a thule T2... i wouldn't want more weight back there than the 2 of them. rack has gotta be 40 pounds and each bike is 40 plus. i'd get a small trailer to put the bike on. I've towed(a likely overweight) unhaul with the TDI with no problems or complaints, just need to leave plenty of following distance and being that ours is a manual I ran 5th gear on the highway and majority left it at the speed limit.
I've used both the hitch mount and a trailer for our road bikes. Much easier on the trailer, but it's also more expensive. I haven't gotten the airbags but would recommend them for the kind of weight you're talking about.