Directions on doing timing belt on 2015 Golf tdi

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
IMO, this TB job is not that different than any other TDI:
1. CR engines are DOHC, which are a pain for space to work in the engine bay
2. CR engines have a HPFP, but the pump doesn't really need much fiddling around, not like VE pumps (never had a VE engine). Also, there is no torsion value to fiddle with either (PD engines)
3. Not sure for CVCA (Passat), but for CRUA (GSW), the motor mount needs to be disconnected, same as for BEW and BRM. Yep, also for CVCA.

Otherwise the procedure goes like this (more or less):
1. Jack the car up from the passenger side, and change to a jack stand
2. Remove the splash shield from below engine bay
3. Remove right side wheel/tire, and inner fender cover
4. Disconnect the several brackets and one clamp (DEF injector)...this is what takes a lot of time
5. Remove upper TB cover
6. Support engine. In this case CVCA/CRUA, the oil pan has a plastic cover, so supporting from bottom with a jack won't do, you'll need to support from the top...plastic cover can be taken off
7. Remove passenger side motor mount and bracket (new, one-use bolts should be included with the kit)...I usually need to raise/lower the engine to get the bracket out
8. Remove serpentine belt, harmonic balancer (bolts might strip), lower TB cover, upper TB cover
9. Find TDC, lock crank, lock cam, lock HPFP
10. Remove tensioner, remove TB, remove water pump (WP), remove rollers
11. Install new WP, new rollers, new tensioner, new TB
12. Tension TB, rotate engine twice by hand, to make sure timing wasn't somehow lost
13. Close it up and fire it up
14. Pat yourself in the back

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI

Posts 18-21

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Never done a TB? I suggest you study this guide very well first then:

There are differences from those other common rail engines to CRUA, but the procedure is generally the same.

After doing both my CRUA and CVCA (Passat), I will say, try not to fiddle with the pressure sensors too much (the ones inside the metallized pouch right on top), as some people have reported them melting right after a TB job. Doing my CRUA I didn't disconnect them, but CVCA there is no way to work around them, so I undo the bracket and let them move, so I didn't have to flex those lines much.

Other tips:

1. Do not lock the fuel pump, letting that move will make it easier to put the new belt on. EDIT: Do lock the pump, but undo the center nut, remove the sprocket, lubricate the inside so that it can slide on top of the hub. This is what is going to give you some freedom when installing the new belt.
2. I used a wood clamp with rubber feet to help me gently hold the new belt on the crank, then worked my way from the right: water pump, fuel pump, cam...keep the belt without slack, so that all the slack ends up by the tensioner.
3. Tension the belt, set the nut but do not fully torque. Unlock the crank and cam, turn the engine and relock, check tensioner indicator again and readjust....then torque the nut.

Good luck!

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Some edits to my previous posts. You do have to lock the HPFP, but also take out the sprocket by undoing the big center nut, something like 24mm. Lubricate the inside of that sprocket, so that it can move back and forth and help with new belt placement.

Last edited: