Dipstick Tube

mrspeedy69

TDI
2003 5spd
Are there other options out there to replace the dipstick tube instead of the plastic ones? Mine was cracked so I bought a new one and it cracked as soon as I put it on. I mean it seems solid but are there metal options or anything out there?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Not that I've seen, was your replacement an OEM one or aftermarket? I replaced mine with an OEM from IDparts, a little lube on the end and it clicked on, mind you it was a little tough to get on there.

mrspeedy69

TDI
2003 5spd
It was more than likely an aftermarket one. I was in a hurry and just went to Orielly's. It was snug for sure, I pushed it down and it clicked into place but cracked at the bottom. It's not leaking just annoying to me.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Have not seen any aftermarket metal ones. That plastic seems to get to a certain age and just crumble, ditto coolant tanks.
Last time I installed one, I used a hammer to seat it, so I might guess old rily is selling junk. They're not expensive, just get a good one and return that thing.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
So looking on IDparts what is the difference in these two parts?

The first one is metal, and is the piece is actually the part that gets pressed into the block. The splines are in the bottom for this. Some people have reported leaks from there, but it's pretty rare.

The yellow snaps onto the first part. You can see the o-ring on the metal part where the yellow part seals on to.

Go pop your hood open and take a look, it's pretty obvious when you look in there. If you're broken or pulled the metal tube that presses into the block, you're the hulk but you're doing it wrong.

mrspeedy69

TDI
2003 5spd
Ah I see that now. Sorry still a little new to the TDI's so trying to learn. As far as parts for these cars are you all typically buying from IDParts or do you use RockAuto or anything like that for things?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
IDparts as well as a few others are trusted vendors and liked very much around these parts. Also ID is very active on the forum.
Rockauto CAN be good for some things, but for these cars I would tend to stay away from them. The TDI vendor specific companies tend to do the legwork for you as far as hunting down quality OEM or similar to OEM specs, and usually give you a few options if you don't want to go OEM, depending on what your budget is.

As far as learning goes, you're in the right spot. Probably, if not the best place around for the amount of information on these TDI's

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Dipstick tubes last a lot longer on MKIV cars if you use the engine cover. It prevents moving it around when checking the oil and potentially breaking it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My experiences with these:

Always use an OEM tube (the aftermarket ones... Vaico, Uro, Febi, etc. are all prone to cracking on install)

Slide it down until it stops, then hold in firmly "square" with the metal tube upon which it slides, and using a soft faced mallet give it one quick tap and pop it on.

Make sure the upper cover is in place, the grommets and mounts are all in place, and that nothing is bent. Otherwise the engine will just vibrate the little tube to death over and over.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
For installation, gently heat the bottom of the plastic with a heat gun.
This is the best advice you can give for the installation of these things.
(y)
My experiences with these:

Always use an OEM tube (the aftermarket ones... Vaico, Uro, Febi, etc. are all prone to cracking on install)

Slide it down until it stops, then hold in firmly "square" with the metal tube upon which it slides, and using a soft faced mallet give it one quick tap and pop it on.

Make sure the upper cover is in place, the grommets and mounts are all in place, and that nothing is bent. Otherwise the engine will just vibrate the little tube to death over and over.
When I purchased my car, it didn't come with a cover. Pretty sure I had to OEM tube on there. I had a project I needed to do that required removing the plastic bit. Anyway, in my rush, I snapped it. Installed an aftermarket one with no issues. Still going strong a few years later. Is it OEM quality? Nah.

But with the installation method above, shouldn't matter with that thing OEM or aftermarket. You don't want to melt the dang thing, a few seconds with a heat gun on low not directly pointed at it close does the trick.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Really? Must be another one in the "I'm an anomaly" list for me then (right up there with 19 years on the original plastic window regulator clips with no issues), I'm still on my original plastic tube and I took the engine cover off something like 15 years ago. I do make sure that when I pull the dipstick out I pull it straight out, and not put any side-side force on it, though...

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
It was more than likely an aftermarket one. I was in a hurry and just went to Orielly's. It was snug for sure, I pushed it down and it clicked into place but cracked at the bottom. It's not leaking just annoying to me.
mine did the same thing a few years back, so i had to order another one. Do what Rrusse11 said below, the tap it straight down with a rubber mallet, or a board and hammer. A hair dryer or torch heat works well too (just don't put in the flame obviously).

For installation, gently heat the bottom of the plastic with a heat gun.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I didn't need a hammer, just a firm push by hand. There's a fine line with the heat, it is a thermoplastic. But get the right degree of soft and it'll slip on, conform, and shrink for a great stress free fit.