Dipstick Markings

av8or

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG Candy White/Cornsilk
Hopefully a photo of my engine's dipstick will show up below. It doesn't match the photos in the owners manual. Is "full" at the top of the cross-hatch (two small "dots" or at the groove below the bulb at the tip of the dipstick.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
The zone between the hatched zone and the upper groove is the "do not top up any more" zone. You're O.K. all the way up to the groove. The upper groove is "do not let it get above this mark", and the lower groove is "do not let it get below this mark." Basically the hatched zone is the working zone.

av8or

Veteran Member
TDI
On a properly done oil change, where does the "oil line" show on the dipstick... at the dots?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Technically, anywhere between the 2 grooves. :)

The hatched area is good. If you're up to the top of the hatched area (the dots), don't add more. But if you're already somewhere between the hatched area and the groove, you're still good.

Maybe the wording has changed, and some things were missed on more recent owners manuals, but that's what my 2010 says.

'properly done' isn't exactly as precise as you'd like it to be. ;) Filling the oil is still rather old-skool.

When I do an oil change, I fill up to between the hatched area and the upper grove, and I don't lose enough oil that I'd have to top up within 10k. I still do at about the 5k mark just to play it safe, though.

av8or

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks again. since new, i've not added any oil between changes, (now at 45,000). Oil level is at the top of the hatch area.... so will leave alone.

Last edited: