Dip stick oil sucker thingy

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Who uses this method for changes?

I have for each of my '11 JSW's changes and I love it. I could change my oil in a suit if I wanted too. No crawling on the ground or taking the 49 screws out that hold the belly pan in place to get at the drain plug. The 50 bucks or whatever it was I paid IDparts for that thing was well worth it, BUT.....

Should I do it the old fashioned way every 4 or 5 changes?

Does it as much oil out?

I think next time I will do it the traditional way, just to have a look at the drain plug to see if it's picked up any bits of anything floating around inside. Also, it's not a bad idea to have a look underneath every now and then to maybe spot something like a ripped CV boot or whatever.

Also, I was thinking of picking up a panzer plate or whatever it is they call the aftermarket metal pans.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I wondered how much oil was left in the engine after using the Pela extractor so I extracted the oil from my Toyota Prius and then jacked the car up to get to the oil filter with the side so that the car tilted towards the oil drain plug.
When I pulled the plug no additional oil ran out and also when I stuck my little finger in to find the oil level it was lower than the threads by a good bit.
In the case of the Prius the oil extracted was better than pulling the plug!
I have not done the same thing with either my JSW TDIs or the current Touareg TDI Exec, but I would not be concerned about the small amount of oil remaining.
One day I might try that again, but I like staying on my feet too much, especially since the oil filters are on the top on all of my cars now.

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I was under the impression that most/all VW/Audi dealers had swapped to the dipstick extraction method. I think HumbleMechanic mentioned it in a video a couple years ago.

I've considered getting an extractor tool though. But my Cobalt has a metal baffle and is a trap door design, so I'm not sure it would work well for that, and I have to crawl under my MK2 to get the oil filter anyway... but it would be nice to have for the S5.

EDIT: a few links

HumbleMechanic Blog - DRAINING ENGINE OIL VS EXTRACTING ENGINE OIL

HumbleMechanic YouTube - Will an Oil Extractor Get All The Oil? (MK7.5 Golf R 5000 Mile Service)

Deutsche Auto Parts YouTube - 1.8T Oil Change DIY | Extractor vs Drain Method

Last edited:

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I have always done topside changes. Never got anything additional out of the drain plug when checking.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Many threads about this
Do a search for dipstick oil change
Read up
Make your own decision based on what you feel comfortable with on the pros and cons.
IMHO: unless the vehicle was designed specifically to do this then don't.
Dont take my word for it. All you will get here, other than (do what the manual says) is a debate that lasts though the ages

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The tires are due to be rotated at the same time, so.....
IMHO, this is the only serious downside to doing a topside oil change. It turns oil changes into a quick 20 minute (or less) process. This makes it very easy to skip all of the other maintenance tasks that should be part of the 10 or 20k service. Draining the oil from the bottom does not get out any additional old oil, but what it does do is to get you under the car where you can inspect for damage, leaks, etc. (not to mention rotate tires).

IMHO: unless the vehicle was designed specifically to do this then don't.
Dont take my word for it. All you will get here, other than (do what the manual says) is a debate that lasts though the ages
The service manual for my TDI specifically says to drain or extract the oil as part of routine maintenance, so apparently VW's TDI engines were designed to allow oil extraction by suction.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Depending on the model I get MORE oil out by extracting from above. All but the last engine have top side filters and you can get more oil out sucking the pint or more from there. ALH/BEW you could reach right down through the cooler and get most of that oil out. That ended up being at least 1/2 quart. Given how many stripped oil drain plugs I have encountered on these aluminum pans, not pulling it every oil change has some advantage. Nothing stopping people from taking extra few seconds to roll up on the ramps to peek around under the car for inspection.

Oh, for reference - first few times I sucked it out I wondered, too. So I pulled the plug then shoved the tube down the dipstick - it actually came out the drain plug one time.

Oh, and no dealer I have worked for spent the several thousand $$$ for a proper extractor. All end up raising the car on lift and draining out the plug.

Jason

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
If one method leaves a few drops of oil behind, it is of no concern.

A timing belt failure, collision, or transmission failure will destroy the car before the engine wears out due to how the oil is changed (as long as it does get changed).

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Oh, and no dealer I have worked for spent the several thousand $$$ for a proper extractor. All end up raising the car on lift and draining out the plug.

Jason
Well, if I had a lift I'd use it too. Thing is, my garage wouldn't support it even if I could get the car in, and the last word anyone on this planet would use to describe my driveway is "level"...

I bought a 6-qt multi-fluid extractor from Griot's Garage a number of years ago (link: https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/multi+fluid+extractor.do?from=Search&cx=0), ran me about $100. Has something like a bicycle pump in it to "make it suck". Went for that size because my Jeep has a 6-qt capacity, and was hedging against maybe using the extractor on that too.

The way I see it, I save time/money/aggravation doing oil changes from the top (including clearing the oil cooler, and I always put at least a quart in through the filter housing when putting the new oil in), rather than futzing with ramps in a tilted driveway, laying on the cold ground, pulling the skidplate, etc. I keep an eye peeled for spots on the driveway and try to stay attuned to new rattles/clunks/vibrations, and get them addressed promptly so I think my regime is working for me.

That said, YMMV.

Last edited:

MikePA

TDI
2014 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen 4dr DSG TDI w/Sunroof & Nav xxxPL7AJ5EMxxxxxxx
Just used one of these extractors for the first time yesterday. I'm a convert! No way it got everything out, but it measures so close to 4.3 liters that it doesn't really matter!. Cleanest oil change I've ever done. And I'm old, with a bad back, so there's other benefits as well.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
Just used one of these extractors for the first time yesterday. I'm a convert! No way it got everything out, but it measures so close to 4.3 liters that it doesn't really matter!. Cleanest oil change I've ever done. And I'm old, with a bad back, so there's other benefits as well.
Yep, I was hooked after one use as well. The one thing I've found I have to remember with the extractor is to make sure the sucker tube is drained out completely before storing so it doesn't dribble on the garage floor, as my model didn't come with the holster/quiver for the tubes (might have to make one out of PVC now that I think of it, I've got enough of the stuff laying around the house...)

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Fine and dandy if your oil filter is up top as my 2002 Jetta was. My 2015 is on the bottom and you cannot reach it from above. So you have to get under in any case!!!!

ekincaid

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI
The one thing I've found I have to remember with the extractor is to make sure the sucker tube is drained out completely before storing so it doesn't dribble on the garage floor)
You are definitely right about that. I wish I could devise an easy way to empty mine.

I was needing a new extractor and bought this cheap one a few months back... You wouldn't believe how well it worked.

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
You are definitely right about that. I wish I could devise an easy way to empty mine.

I was needing a new extractor and bought this cheap one a few months back... You wouldn't believe how well it worked.

I unhook the tube, hang it up and let it drain into a bottle.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI

I unhook the tube, hang it up and let it drain into a bottle.
I usually leave mine attached to the extractor, and thread the end through the handle at the bottom of the opened garage door to keep the whole thing elevated while I swap the filter, refill, and leak-check. By that time, most residual oil in the tube has drained into the tank.

I also ben the tubes into a "U" shape for storage with the open ends up.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Pela users, do you find that the white ball part of the device seeps oil? Mine is filthy, the outside is slimy and gritty, like the oil permeates it.