difficulty starting

lofranco

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
Anyone familiar with this problem?

For the past two months my car has had difficulty starting. It usually start right up then promptly dies. I have to crank it over for about 10 seconds before it'll start again and it usually spews lots of smoke as I'm doing it. Once it's started it runs like a champ.
I had the cat2 filter installed about a month ago hoping it would help but it really hasn't.

Unfortunately I'm not in position to work on this myself so if there is a generous soul in the northern VA/DC area that could help me, I'd really appreciate it. Or maybe just a possible reason for the problem so when I take it to the dealership I won't get completely hosed.
Thanks,
Matt

lofranco

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
I sent Car54 a PM but after reading some of his posts it seems like he's pretty busy so I may have to try something else. I don't mind going to the stealership or any other decent mechanic as long as I have some idea as to whats giong on so I can prevent them from telling me otherwise.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
lofranco said:
I sent Car54 a PM but after reading some of his posts it seems like he's pretty busy so I may have to try something else. I don't mind going to the stealership or any other decent mechanic as long as I have some idea as to whats giong on so I can prevent them from telling me otherwise.
I would stay far away from a dealer for the most part the left hand does not know there is a right hand there....

dieselt

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 2000, green
MC??

If you are ok after warm-up and can wait for Car54 to address your issue please do so.
I am not out to promote anyone, but if this forum gives yo a recommendation...please take it.
Your problem could be anything from a fuel pump to a fuel line not holding prime..or anything in between.

SP..if you are MC:)

lofranco

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
Thanks for all of your responses,

I'd prefer to wait for anyone except a dealership. I knew several club members back in DFW and a few great/honest VW mechanics as well. I'm just out of my element for the time being....no tools or place to work on it.

I'm not MC, just attending one of the LE academies on the base.

I'm thinking that either there's air in the fuel line or the fuel line isn't holding a prime. Either way I'm not in a position to fix it myself.

tmleadr03

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
I would say your idea about fuel sounds pretty good. But... lets get some more info first. What year, how many miles, last time you changed the fuel filter, when it cranks does it do so at its normal rate of speed or maybe a bit slower?

lofranco

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
Lets see, it's a 2002 with 85,000 miles. I had the filter changed to the Cat2 at the end of september. It had started the problem about a week prior to the filter change.
After the car has sat for while, anywhere from a few hours to several days, the problems manifest themselves. Here's how it goes....
I crank it and it starts right up, then after 2-5 seconds it dies. I proceed to crank it and and it turn over at the normal rate and gets kind of rough, ie. the engine shake more than normal.... I carnk it for about 5 seconds, stop, crank again, then after about 3-4 sequences it starts and spews smoke out of the pipe. It runs like a champ after that. If I go to the store of something and come back out within an hour or so it'll start right up, more than an hour I have to go through the process again.

The other day when I started it, it started right up and died....I looked at the fuel line before cranking it again and the fuel line was dry as a bone...

The probalem started after I fueled up without turning off the motor... It may have been a coincidence or that could be the culprit. I dunno'

I appreciate your reply. I'm getting desperate and was about to take it to a dealer... Thanks,
Matt

lofranco

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
Thanks, I figured it had to do with air in the fuel mline. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to do my own work. Away from home at a location nonconducive to automotive work for the next 5 months. I'm hoping to find someone willing to help.
Matt

tmleadr03

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
You dont have an autohobby shop on Quantico? There has been one on every single base I have ever been stationed on and the bigger the base the better the tool selection.

I am not familiar with what a CAT2 is or how its hooked up to the fuel system, never seen it.

If its taking about two hours to leak out the fuel pressure in the lines then its not the fastest leak in the world, but it should still show up as a moist spot on your fuel likes I would think. Most likely at connections if you had anything apart.