Different scanner for TDI?

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
I was calling around a few shops to get a code scanned in my area, and was shocked to hear one shop telling me that the TDI cannot be scanned by the regular scanner. I know this is total BS and decided to never do any business with a shop like that, but I am just curious if there is any truth in what this guy tells me.
Are there scanners out there which aren't able to handle codes of a TDI? I didn't think they were any different, and I see no reason for the TDI to be any different.
BTW, one other thing I learned while calling around, ask for the price of scanning. Called two VW dealers for the fun of it. One charges $40 to scan comp, the other charges $88. Talk about diff in price!

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Their scanner needs to be ISO-9141-2 compliant to retrieve the generic engine controller trouble codes. It is also recommended to be OBD-D compliant as well as OBD-II. Some Autozones, and other part stores in the US, have generic scanners that are capable. Surely there must be some capable places in your part of the planet too.

Now you see why so many people here have invested in their own registered copy of VAG-COM. It's cheaper in the long run.

fv08

TDI
2000 GLS TDI
I'have bought a Equus 3100 code reader, it does read and erase generic AND manufacturer specific codes.

i've tried it on a Jetta TDI 2000 and on a Dodge
Dakota 1999.

works fine on both
for 250$ Can or 125 USD