different DSG fluid brands compatibility

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Hello all. I just changed my dsg fluid this past weekend and used the Liquimoly fluid I purchased from idparts when doing so. 300 or so miles later and my filter housing o-ring has sprung a leak. I am going to get a new filter and o-ring and need to top off the fluid and re-drain. I have a liter of Febi Bilstien fluid left over from changing my Passat a year ago when the kit included 6 liters instead of 5. Is there any consensus that mixing brands of fluid could cause harm or should I bite the bullet and try and find another liter of Liquimoly fluid to top off with? Or worse yet drain and refill from scratch. I plan on keeping this car for quite a while so I don't want to screw it up. Any gurus want to chime in?

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
I had the same leak... I am guessing your DSG filter like everyone elses was made in china?

When I did mine round two , I used a mix of OE and Pentosin without issue. Its now 41,000 miles later and getting ready to get dumped again

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I just checked it today again and it looks like there is no new fluid leakage over the last day or so. I am thinking that it might be left overs from when I pulled the filter out during the change. My biggest problem is the Liquimoly fluid has a really strong smell and I am smelling it occasionally but upon further research seems like many have had this issue with no leaks due to a vent hole letting out the stench...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Don't use the Viaco brand filter kits. The o-rings leak. YAY, CHINA! :rolleyes:

As far as ATF compatibility, I'd not worry about that, so long as you are using the correct type.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I had the same leak... I am guessing your DSG filter like everyone elses was made in china?

When I did mine round two , I used a mix of OE and Pentosin without issue. Its now 41,000 miles later and getting ready to get dumped again
Our DSG filters are made by NTZ, same people who make them for VW. Only difference is they won't put the VW logo on ours, obviously. Made in the Netherlands.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Our DSG filters are made by NTZ, same people who make them for VW. Only difference is they won't put the VW logo on ours, obviously. Made in the Netherlands.
Yep filter was not branded but it seems OK after further investigation. What residue is there is left over from pulling the old filter upon the initial change. Biggest issue is I still get the smell every time I stop. Hopefully it will disappear after a while. If not I will get the Febi or OEM next go round.

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Glad to know the ID Parts filter is dutch and not chinese! I was afraid it was a Viaco filter and that is why I bought it from the dealer vs. IDParts. (I had a bad o-ring with my Viaco at 40K and after wasting fluid, and emberessing my self at the dealer (took it in under powertrain warranty for leaking DSG, only fo find out it was the chinese O ring) I vowed never to skimp on the DSG filter. NExt time it will be ID Parts though!

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
To answer the O/P's question: No issues in mixing, even if I personally would probably just get another liter of the fluid you have the most of.

Hey guy's, UPSHOT: get over it !! The HPFP is probably German made. What VW owner (on this web site anyway) hasn't heard about the HPFP issue? Decades of design and OEM experiences and STILL can't figure it out ! ?

VW (among many others, MB, BMW, Toyota, GM, Ford, etc, sorry to leave anyone out) has (have) identified the China market as the going forward PREEMINENT market. As such, they will probably build (if they already haven't) both assembly and sub vendor facilities IN and/or around China. So really, the (logistical ) issue will be IF VW China facilities will be used ONLY for the China markets. Or what level of logistical integration will happen with VW's world wide logistical web. Make no mistake, logistical parts and system/s are ESSENTIAL to the brand. Politics (aka, % of parts from what country du jour) I am sure will have more to do with it than any market issues. The US ONLY market Passat, made in the US (Chattanooga, TN) is one example. So therein might be an anomaly VW can/might take advantage. it is well known (or maybe not) the Chinese LOVE US made products. It might be like the last (German made) GOLF (American syndrome).

To wit, years ago when Japanese cars first came to US markets (owned a 1970 VW bought used in 1971), you could not pay me to own a Japanese car, let alone buy Japanese spare parts !! My Daddy at portions in his life had and did vilify ME for not getting American Iron. , partially because he was a WW2 IWO Jima survivor. aka fought WW2 to break German, Japanese and Italian strangleholds. FF to 2015 MY's, it is a RARE Japanese car that does NOT have a better reputation than VW's !! ?? This is not to even acknowledge the PACE of constant improvement has gotten ever faster. Korean brands are starting to match and over take Japanese brands. Indeed, a lot of US market "JAPANESE" cars are more AMERICAN than some American brands (GM,Ford, Chrysler) one would argue that SLOWLY VW's are improving (against still).

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
ruking, you may be unpleasantly surprised at how many dealer replacement parts for you MKIV VW are now sourced in China. For the reasons you mention, many of VW's OEM suppliers including Sanden, Behr, Mann, Valeo, Bosch, and others have manufacturing facilities in China. And since many older platform VWs are still produced there, it makes sense for VW to pull replacement products for sake to other markets from China.

My belief is that if a known manufacturer (like Sanden) is managing production and quality, it doesn't matter where the plant is located. It's when production and quality control are outsources that I start to worry.

Sunny

TDI
2010 golf tdi
To answer the O/P's question: No issues in mixing, even if I personally would probably just get another liter of the fluid you have the most of.
Hey guy's, UPSHOT: get over it !! The HPFP is probably German made. What VW owner (on this web site anyway) hasn't heard about the HPFP issue? Decades of design and OEM experiences and STILL can't figure it out ! ?
VW (among many others, MB, BMW, Toyota, GM, Ford, etc, sorry to leave anyone out) has (have) identified the China market as the going forward PREEMINENT market. As such, they will probably build (if they already haven't) both assembly and sub vendor facilities IN and/or around China. So really, the (logistical ) issue will be IF VW China facilities will be used ONLY for the China markets. Or what level of logistical integration will happen with VW's world wide logistical web. Make no mistake, logistical parts and system/s are ESSENTIAL to the brand. Politics (aka, % of parts from what country du jour) I am sure will have more to do with it than any market issues. The US ONLY market Passat, made in the US (Chattanooga, TN) is one example. So therein might be an anomaly VW can/might take advantage. it is well known (or maybe not) the Chinese LOVE US made products. It might be like the last (German made) GOLF (American syndrome).
To wit, years ago when Japanese cars first came to US markets (owned a 1970 VW bought used in 1971), you could not pay me to own a Japanese car, let alone buy Japanese spare parts !! My Daddy at portions in his life had and did vilify BOTH German and Japanese oems (actually me for buying them), partially because he was a WW2 IWO Jima survivor. FF to 2015 MY's, it is a RARE Japanese car that does NOT have a better reputation than VW's !! ?? This is not to even acknowledge the PACE of constant improvement has gotten ever faster. Korean brands are starting to match and over take Japanese brands. Indeed, a lot of US market "JAPANESE" cars are more AMERICAN than some American brands (GM,Ford, Chrysler)
Enough with the parentheses! :eek:

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
ruking, you may be unpleasantly surprised at how many dealer replacement parts for you MKIV VW are now sourced in China. For the reasons you mention, many of VW's OEM suppliers including Sanden, Behr, Mann, Valeo, Bosch, and others have manufacturing facilities in China. And since many older platform VWs are still produced there, it makes sense for VW to pull replacement products for sake to other markets from China.

My belief is that if a known manufacturer (like Sanden) is managing production and quality, it doesn't matter where the plant is located. It's when production and quality control are outsources that I start to worry.
I truly do not know where the 09 Jetta TDI's HPFP is made nor its' replacement.:eek:;) Off topic, I just recently had the issue and VWoA through VW CC resolved the issue.