Difference between TDI and diesel

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Silver Manual Jetta Wagon (sold) *@*
Hi,
I've read about the differences between a TDI and a regular diesel on the site before but I can't seem to find it anymore. I tried the search function and still can't locate it. Would someone please point me to the right direction?
Thanks!
Jess

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
jessica_rabbit said:
Hi,
I've read about the differences between a TDI and a regular diesel on the site before but I can't seem to find it anymore. I tried the search function and still can't locate it. Would someone please point me to the right direction?
Thanks!
Jess
That depends what "regular" means? :p

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Ms. Wabbit, not to worry. They only offer TDis in the USA. The other kind of diesel could be a non-turbo model or indirect injection, for example.

The TDi is pretty close to state-of-the-art technology except for the newest cars which utilize a common rail design.

Let me know if this addresses your concern. If it doesn't, be specific and I am certain someone can guide you to a contemporary article for reference.

wgargan

Veteran Member
TDI
4 door golf, 2000, black
TDI= Turbo direct injection
Regular diesel= Indirect injection

TDI, diesel fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber.
Regular diesel, the fuel is injected into a chamber off to the side of the "combustion chamber"

I put the second combustion chamber in quotes because in an indirect injection machine most of the combustion takes place in the injection chamber.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
wgargan said:
TDI= Turbo direct injection
Regular diesel= Indirect injection

TDI, diesel fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber.
Regular diesel, the fuel is injected into a chamber off to the side of the "combustion chamber"

I put the second combustion chamber in quotes because in an indirect injection machine most of the combustion takes place in the injection chamber.
I'm betting almost all new passenger vehicle diesels are now DI (VW/Audi, BMW, Benz, Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota etc.). Not sure about OTR engines though.

wgargan

Veteran Member
TDI
4 door golf, 2000, black
Bob_Fout said:
I'm betting almost all new passenger vehicle diesels are now DI (VW/Audi, BMW, Benz, Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota etc.). Not sure about OTR engines though.
I agrre. I think they are. for some reason when i think of regular diesel, i think of the old smoking 1980s ford are the 80's bullet proof benz...

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Silver Manual Jetta Wagon (sold) *@*
I guess my question is what's the difference between old Mercedes diesels and TDIs. How different is it working on them?
Jess

Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it.

Oil_Burner

Veteran Member
Bob_Fout said:

Toyota still sells an indirect injected Land Cruiser. HZJ105. Certainly99.9% of diesels are DI though I would think.

wgargan

Veteran Member
TDI
4 door golf, 2000, black
jessica_rabbit said:
I guess my question is what's the difference between old Mercedes diesels and TDIs. How different is it working on them?
Jess

there is not much on a benz engine you would have to work on. i suppose the vacuum system. but it all depends non your mechanicle ability a tdi has a ton of more electronics involved, and if you do any work on the engine you will need to have your car hooked up the VAG-COM ( not all the time)

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
jessica_rabbit said:
Jess

Jess, the old Benzes are indirect injection. Most of the cars are turbocharged. Cars picked up some minimal amount of electronic control (EDC) in 1986, IIRC. This design strategy carried on right thru 1999. The Benzes leap-frogged the VW TDi design when they re-introduced a diesel in the USA for the 2004 (2005?) model year. This car is known as the CDI and is uber-efficient.

Work-wise? It's my feeling the TDi is pretty basic when stripped down to it's bare elements. Apart from the TB changeout, the other jobs are straightforward when it comes to a modern powerplant. Yes, the old Benzes, with their 5 cylinders, certainly offer more room under the hood and simplicity with their powertrain (RWD) layout. Both cars are "good" to work on; parts are plentiful and fairly priced for each. The older Benzes can never offer the efficiency of the TDis and the newest gas Benzes will rival the old diesels when it comes to fuel economy in real world driving. However, if you're doing a lot of creeping and idling in that NYC traffic, the diesel always has the last laugh.

Enjoy.:)

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Newer diesel engines have MUCH higher fuel injection pressures. Old diesel injected fuel at around 2,500 PSI or so. TDIs and CDIs use pressures of 17,000-30,000+ PSI. Higher pressures allow for better atomization of the fuel in the combustion chamber, which gives a more complete and better controlled burn. This gives more power, better efficiency, and cleaner emissions.

Some of the old diesels were turbocharged, others were not. There are still non-turbo diesels today, but all TDIs are turbocharged. The newer style turbochargers (VNT, Variable Nozzle, Variable Geometry, etc...) are much more efficient at giving a lot of boost at low speeds, while not overboosting at high speeds.

Electronics have a lot to do with the increased efficiency and power, and the lowered noise and emissions of modern diesels. There are many sensors on TDI and CDI engines, and they all feed into the main computer (ECU). Most, if not all, modern diesel engines are drive-by-wire, where the "gas" pedal is not connected to the engine at all. It is electronic, and tells the ECU what you want to do... then the ECU decides how to do it.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
jessica_rabbit said:
Thanks guys for the info. I didn't know TDI are drive by wire. :eek:
Even the latest gas models from VW are, well at least the GTI.

upsguy

TDI
You can thank detroit diesel for the modern electronically controlled diesels in 1986-87 when they introduced the series 60