Difference between Mobil 1 synthetics

clyde

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 1959 DeSoto with leopard-skin seat covers
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5-40 and Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5-40 are both full-synthetic oils. They both meet CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4, and Ci-4 Plus standards.

The TDT oil is zinc alkyl dithiophosphate; the Delvac 1 ESP oil is Severely hydrotreated heavy parafinnic distillate AND zinc alkyl dithiophosphate.

Does this make a practical difference for use in a VW distributor-pump diesel? Or PD?

Thanks!

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
To my understanding Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5-40 is more of a robust, commercial grade diesel rated engine oil with more group IV and V oils (resulting in a lower NOACK value vs the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5-40).

So after 10,000 miles there will be less sheer/degradation in the Delvac vs the TDT = better protection, specially in a PD vehicle.

Last edited:

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
Better off with Delvac Extreme 15w-40. Better stability if you start routinely above 40f due to less VI improvers. Flows very well and has a great add pack. Cheap as chips on the rebate.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Any of the 0W40 or 5W40 fully synthetic oils are good choice for a PD. Although 5W30 and 0W30 are a sore point with people with PDs and not recommended, most of the vag approved oil are closer to XW40 oils. Previous owner used 5W30 in my sons BRM since they first changed it from 5W40 to 5W30, went 290k on original camshaft. Camshaft was still serviceable, just changed it as part of preventive maintenance
And not to forget the robust properties of the diesel rated oil Red Line 5W30. HTHS at 3.7, TBN closer to 10, NOACK = 6, and an additive pack with no shortcomings in my opinion (including generous amounts of Moly and Boron). Best of the both worlds for the turbo (spooling and so forth) and the cam.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5-40 and Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5-40 are both full-synthetic oils. They both meet CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4, and Ci-4 Plus standards.

The TDT oil is zinc alkyl dithiophosphate; the Delvac 1 ESP oil is Severely hydrotreated heavy parafinnic distillate AND zinc alkyl dithiophosphate.

Does this make a practical difference for use in a VW distributor-pump diesel? Or PD?
Fleet Farm typically charges about $4/gallon less for the Delvac than the TDT, so that's what I've been using for the last 350k miles. But now they're out of both, except for 5-gallon pails of Delvac. I bought the last gallon of Delvac and one of the last three jugs of TDT, just to get by until new supplies come in. The specs are pretty equal for both, so if I have to mix them then that won't be an issue.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Been using the DelVac 1 5w-40 for many years in my ALH engined TDIs and most of the large displacement motorcycles. It's been great oil and when Fleet Farm has a sale that coincides with the Mobil/Exxon rebate its less expensive than most any other (net cost $13/gallon). I tend to stock up but recently depleted my supply.
Switched over from Rotella years ago when searching threads about used oil tests and extended change intervals. DelVac was superior to anything else convienently available.

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
I noticed alot of boron in in the 0W30 oils obviously to offset the lower calcium content but perfectly honest I even ran it in my wife's 1.8t and the oil analysis came back really good which I wasn't expecting.
Odd you put an oil into a vehicle expecting it to fail. Common sense dictates the opposite.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is like the Oil War never ends, like that underground coal mine that has been burning since the '80s. And every once in a while, someone decides "hey, wonder what it would be like to dump a bunch of gasoline down this giant fissure that is glowing orange and billowing smoke?"

It.

Just.

Never.

Ends.

...and I laugh every time... :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
(A) Mobil is constantly changing their products, so what you currently know about finer points of additives or performance characteristics has (or most likely will) probably change. This includes which oil the manufacturer recommends. Witness Mercedes waffling between 0W30 and 5W30 for its diesels, and VW switching to a Mobil refined 0W30 from Castrol 5W30

(B) Mobil is having serious supply issues right now because of lack of available additives, so availability is close to zero for many products, and pricing is going up.

Sword_of_the_Spirit

Veteran Member
TDI
All Makes
It is like the Oil War never ends, like that underground coal mine that has been burning since the '80s. And every once in a while, someone decides "hey, wonder what it would be like to dump a bunch of gasoline down this giant fissure that is glowing orange and billowing smoke?"

It.

Just.

Never.

Ends.

...and I laugh every time... :D
Indeed. Sometimes people get involved for jest….it’s a trip nonetheless.

I have a separate question that I’m sure you’ll quickly know the answer to for an 06 PD MT. I’ll pm.