Difference between M16 and M14 on our front axels?

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2005 silver Passat Sedan & 2005 Wagon Stone Henge Gray
On a well done MoGolf outer CV boot repair PDF. It's my own lack of knowledge to understand two terms, of a extremely organized PDF. There is that large bolt at the very end of our front axles ( dead center to our wheel lug nuts) when we remove our front axels to generally replace the entire front axel . In my case I'm just replacing with a R.L. Axel assembled exchange and want to get the torque setting of that single bolt right.

At the very end of the " how to " PDF MoGolf writes:

"Install the large bolt finger tight. Install the wheel and tighten bolts to 120 Nm.​
Put the back on the ground. Tighten the new large bolt to 190 Nm plus half a turn if it is​
an M16 bolt joint. Tighten to 115 Nm plus half a turn if it is an M14 bolt. Yes, that is​
very tight."

How do I tell the difference between the M16 bolt joint or the M14? is the M16 the one that uses a hex socket to remove/tighten and the M14 the one that uses the big 'Allen' head to remove and tighten?

tdiblair

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2005 silver Passat Sedan & 2005 Wagon Stone Henge Gray
thanks QuickTD.. I'll torque it this afternoon.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Last edited: