Diesels account for 30.4% of VW US sales in August, 24.3% YTD

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
Volkswagen of America reported 40,342 units delivered in August, representing the third month the brand has surpassed 40,000 units over the past 40 years. TDI diesel models accounted for 30.4% of sales in August and 24.3% of sales year-to-date—the best August and year-to-date results for VW diesels yet.

In August, the Passat TDI delivered 4,470 clean diesels, representing 43.8% of its sales mix. The Chattanooga-built Passat continued to show strong results with 10,194 units delivered, an increase of 3%...
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013/09/20130905-vw.html

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Thumbs up! Diesel is going mainstream. It will be interesting to see how the Club continues to change as diesels move in this direction after being more of an economy/diesel enthusiast option for so long.

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Now if only we can get the Tiguan in TDI here in the US. Just for kicks, I put in a request to a dealer about a Tiguan TDI 4Motion BlueMotion R-Line.

The dealer called me and told me they didn't have a TDI Tiguan. He then tried to interest me in a Jetta Sportwagon. I told him I wanted the height of a Tiguan and not a gas car. I also told him I drove a Tiguan in England. (I lied. I drove a Passat while there.)

I'll continue with this.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Thumbs up! Diesel is going mainstream.

Not really mainstream TBH...I mean lets put these sales figures into some reality check here...

The Chevy Volt outsold the Bettle, Golf, Tiguan and Tourag, and I wouldn't call the Volt mainstream :)

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Now if only we can get the Tiguan in TDI here in the US. Just for kicks, I put in a request to a dealer about a Tiguan TDI 4Motion BlueMotion R-Line.

The dealer called me and told me they didn't have a TDI Tiguan. He then tried to interest me in a Jetta Sportwagon. I told him I wanted the height of a Tiguan and not a gas car. I also told him I drove a Tiguan in England. (I lied. I drove a Passat while there.)

I'll continue with this.
I drove a Volvo xc60 T5 diesel in the UK. It was very nice but I wasn't impressed by its MPG. Not even crossing the 30mpg US barrier.
A Golf AWD would make lots more sense. One less model to market, recognized model in the marketplace.

Too simple for VW to do?

Dooglas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
I know VW management understand that the hole in the VW line-up in the US is diesel utility vehicles. They clearly need a diesel Tiguan plus a diesel van and a diesel light pickup. They have all those products in their line elsewhere. What are they waiting for?

Ironman11142

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 White Jetta TDI 6M
TDI minivan

Why can't they sell a minivan with a TDI.... or even the Microbus.... It shouldn't be that hard to get European diesel models to comply with US pollution standards as they are very similar.

oswegoPD

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TSI, 2013 Passat 6M sold, 2012 Jetta Premium DSG sold, 2004 Jetta GL 5M (sold)
I am with you ironman. I would love a TDI minivan for my family of 6.

I800C0LLECT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta & Passat
Maybe the goal is to entice enthusiasts and a few other niche markets before they push a mainstream agenda. It's easier to test the waters with the jetta and passat before moving forward.

These types of numbers are probably very much related to residuals. If they can prove that residuals are changing mindsets(passat sales) then they'll move into other markets(Tiguan)

wallaby

TDI
2006 Jetta 5spd
I love seeing so many passat TDI's out there. That means when it's time to upgrade I shouldn't have too much trouble finding one.

eav

TDI
Jetta, 2015 Sportwagen
I'd have to seriously consider V6 TDI minivan. I plan on buying a MkVII Sportwagen when it comes available in the USA.

I'm really hoping to get one with navigation an no sunroof.

Last edited:

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I know VW management understand that the hole in the VW line-up in the US is diesel utility vehicles. They clearly need a diesel Tiguan plus a diesel van and a diesel light pickup. They have all those products in their line elsewhere. What are they waiting for?
I think they are waiting for the repeal of the 1963 'chicken tax', which puts a 25% tax on imported pickups.

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
After selling VW's for nearly 6 years, and being a strong proponent of anything TDI, especially a Tiguan, and after having asked time and time again about TDI availability in more models, VW's "Official" statement to the dealerships was something on the lines of "We can only produce so many TDI engines in the world. Frankly, we make more money on the ones we sell in Europe, so we are concentrating our majority of TDI engines where we can make the most return on our investment. With that being said, our Chattanooga Plant (Passats), will soon have a TDI engine facility".
Regarding the Polo TDI- I an tell you that the US isn't ready for it. I've had 30% of my Golf Test Drive customers get in a Golf TDI and tell me how small it was and opt for a Jetta, for less money. I can only imagine there are only a small number of people who would consider a Polo. The American mindset may have shifted to a somewhat smaller car, but the American "body-set" has obviously a need for a somewhat larger interior space.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Warrior, your going to have to back that (opinion) up with data. I don't see how having more diesels would lower the unit price of diesel.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I can think of a couple of reason why. First it would encourage US refineries to shift more of their production to diesel. Second the station I usually buy from decreased RUG prices while leaving diesel prices alone. This resulted in the biggest split between them since last december. They are subsidizing RUG drivers because there are more of them and their voices outweigh ours. If we even start moving to parity they won't be able to do that.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
That 'article' is a rather simplistic supply and demand view to explain fuel pricing, which I don't think is accurate for diesel, or any commodity for that matter.

If you want to get closer to understanding diesel pricing, look at the trend on the margin on a barrel of exported Gulf Coast diesel. We are in fact increasing diesel production here in the US, but it's being exported.

Another factor is the wild-west market on RINs that the EPA created. The NYT ran an article on this today, questioning whether Wall-Street is fooling around where they shouldn't again, hoarding RINs and contributing to the huge spike in price this summer:
http://www.platts.com/latest-news/o...-rins-prices-boost-us-diesel-exports-21325808

More on Wall-Street and commodities futures:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...purred-as-u-s-fuels-world-energy-markets.html

Last edited: