- Apr 23, 2002
- Houston, TX
- 2006 Jetta TDI -- Wheat Beige, Package 2
I'm a little late in responding to this post -- I'll blame it on Hurricane Ike and the fact that we had evacuated -- but you say you added 16.1 gallons after getting it down to "5 miles remaining". Perhaps this has been pointed out in another post, but the Jetta only hold 14.5 gallons. You may be paying too much for your biodiesel as a result !
Just a thought,
Just a thought,
Neurot said:I took delivery of my 2009 Jetta TDI (base model, manual transmission) last week. I bought it with the express purpose of using B100 exclusively. The dealer (Charles Maund VW in Austin, TX) immediately said I would void my warranty. After some verbal back and forth, I wound up emailing them some information about the Magnuson Voss Act, including a letter from the Oregon Auto Dealers Association regarding the use of biodiesel (found here). I don't know if that warmed them up to my plan, or they just wanted to sell another Jetta, but I wound up getting my ordered vehicle just like I wanted it, in the color I wanted, and 2 months ahead of what was quoted initially!
After quite a few thoughtful replies on my plans, today was the day to get started.
I drove 378 miles on the initial tank of diesel (poor average of 28.8MPG), and ran it until it had 5 miles remaining on the tank (according to the display). Then I put in 16.1 gallons of pure biodiesel, made from used cooking oil, produced to conform to the ASTM specification D6751. I have a certificate of analysis from the producer, New Energy Fuels in Houston, did my own quality tests (clear and bright, methanol, water, and phlip), and have sold 5000 gallons from the same batch, from the same tank, even some just before my fillup. So I have every reason to believe that my results will be indicative of an average B100 user in the new TDI platform. There may be some variability based on the feedstock and climate it is used in, but should not be much. Also, October 1st is the day that the new ASTM specifications take effect, which should increase the quality even further (new "cold soak" test, oxidative stability, and other refinements).
After filling up to *completely* full, I ran the engine for awhile, rev'ed it a bit (but not exceeding the 3500 rpm level due to the break-in period). It ran normally, then I drove it the 8 miles home. Not the most comprehensive test, but enough to breathe a little easier. There was no immediate loss in power or fuel economy noticeable, no check engine light, etc.
I will keep this thread open for periodic updates. PLEASE follow these simple rules before replying to this thread:
Do not post about how I'm going to void the warranty, ruin the engine, destroy the DPF, or anything else stupid and inflammatory. Please do post any specific concerns you have, things to look out for, tests you recommend (and vendors to send samples to), etc. If you have specific negative things to say, like "I heard that you may have to change your oil more often", cite references. If you read somewhere that it will do something bad, go research it and come back.
If you don't like biodiesel, don't think it has a place in modern cars, or have any other "feelings" about biofuels in general, take it somewhere else. There are enough forums even on TDIclub to debate the merits of growing crops for fuel or net energy balance.
If someone does start in with nonsense, don't take the bait!
Full Disclosure - I run a business selling biodiesel. I WANT this to work. I am not exactly a neutral scientist recording data and coming to a hypothesis. However, if something doesn't go the way I hope it will, this information could be extremely valuable for the future of biodiesel. I will report my results, and hope that others will find this experiment useful.
Current test plan:
Drive it like an old lady for the remainder of the break-in period (probably 2 tanks).
At 1000 miles, take an oil sample and send it off to Blackstone (unless there's a better place - I could use some help on this one).
After 1500 miles, take it to the dealer for a courtesy check (their suggestion)
At each 1000 mile increment, repeat oil sample.
Depending on results, modify or abandon experiment, or continue as planned.
Hope to get a few suggestions and hints, but not spawn a giant free-for-all conversation. Nobody likes threads that drag out for dozens of pages, so please keep it brief.
Thanks for all the participation in my previous post and I'm looking forward to more discussion!