Dieselgate Warranty - Did I just miss out by 1k miles?

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I need to stop touching things today because I keep striking out. My Dad passed away a month ago after a battle with cancer and I'm trying to help my Mom with a few things. One of those are some check engine codes on her car. It appears we have the "dreaded P2002 and P0401" as well as P240F. From my research, I believe that means a cracked DPF. Further research indicated that could be covered under warranty but the warranty is 10 years and 126k miles. My Mom's car is a 2012 and I watched it hit 127k yesterday as I was running errands for her.

1st question - did I just miss the warranty
2nd question - should I allow VW to do whatever they were obligated to do in regards to dieselgate? I understand there was a mileage penalty but I don't know if it was generally recommended anyway
3rd - Is a DPF replacement DIY able?

Any other suggestions?

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Further investigation revealed that we have the following coverage:

In addition, and concurrently, the Extended Emissions Warranty runs for 4 years 6 months or 54,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the date of modification or first dealer resale post-modification. Your vehicle was modified on Mar 13, 2018 and 100,465 miles. Please see your VW dealership for additional information on the vehicle's post-modification dealer re-sale date.

I have an appointment for Wednesday to find out!

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Post the model, as the warranty differs for different cars.

Did the car have any emissions warranty work done by VW? This will also impact the warranty.

Did you use the VIN lookup from VW? https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/

This PDF should match to many of the 2012's:

https://www.vwdiesellookup.com/pdf/VWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure_Gen1_Automatic_Final.pdf

The PDF above lists, initially, 10 years and 120k miles, or 4/48 after the emissions work is completed.

Are those codes generic? Even VCDS codes may point to a DPF, but cannot confirm it is cracked. You'll need real codes and then some troubleshooting and evaluation.

There's not much a MPG loss after the warranty work (if any), and the advantage is is extends your warranty, if not providing some new parts which will extend the emissions lifespan.

Once you know more about your car, the emissions work done, and the warranty (if any) remaining, you can better decide what to do next. If nothing else, you can talk to VW and see if you can get the emissions work covered- you never know how they may react to emissions claims. Did they send any official notices to the owners, etc.? Lastly, if you're stuck, you could take actions which allow the car to operate fine without need for replacing the parts in question.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You should be covered under that warranty for what it covers. Read and get to know it so you know what is supposed to be made available to you. Print out that form and take it all with you just in case you need it. Do it now. You may have no issues but if you do be able to show your point.

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
You may be ok!

the dieselgate extra warranty starts after the epa repair. Most years and models get 4 years and 48k more warranty after the fix (Some manual transmission cars got a bit longer).

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Post the model, as the warranty differs for different cars.

Did the car have any emissions warranty work done by VW? This will also impact the warranty.

Did you use the VIN lookup from VW? https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/

This PDF should match to many of the 2012's:

https://www.vwdiesellookup.com/pdf/VWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure_Gen1_Automatic_Final.pdf

The PDF above lists, initially, 10 years and 120k miles, or 4/48 after the emissions work is completed.

Are those codes generic? Even VCDS codes may point to a DPF, but cannot confirm it is cracked. You'll need real codes and then some troubleshooting and evaluation.

There's not much a MPG loss after the warranty work (if any), and the advantage is is extends your warranty, if not providing some new parts which will extend the emissions lifespan.

Once you know more about your car, the emissions work done, and the warranty (if any) remaining, you can better decide what to do next. If nothing else, you can talk to VW and see if you can get the emissions work covered- you never know how they may react to emissions claims. Did they send any official notices to the owners, etc.? Lastly, if you're stuck, you could take actions which allow the car to operate fine without need for replacing the parts in question.

What do you mean by generic? The codes were read by a code reader but I haven't inspected the DPF myself. The car is a 2012 Sportwagen and the emissions update was done in 2018 just before my Mom bought the car. From what I've read we should have coverage because of the update being done less than 4 years/48k miles ago. VW is taking a look at the car tomorrow, wish me luck!

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
Based on those codes and the date of modification, you're covered, don't stress about it. Certainly sounds like DPF. Sooty tailpipes are a sign of cracked DPF. If yours have black soot, make sure to mention that as it will help the dealer techs with a proper diagnosis. The first time I went in with a P2002 they did a manual regen and sent me on my way. The same code popped up 300 miles later and then it was time for a DPF. Had I known better, I could have saved myself a second trip to the dealer.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your dad.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What do you mean by generic? The codes were read by a code reader but I haven't inspected the DPF myself. The car is a 2012 Sportwagen and the emissions update was done in 2018 just before my Mom bought the car. From what I've read we should have coverage because of the update being done less than 4 years/48k miles ago. VW is taking a look at the car tomorrow, wish me luck!
DTC's can be read by any number of troubleshooting apps and code readers via a Bluetooth/WiFi or hard cable link to the OBD2 port in your car. If you use VCDS or similar VW oriented software, it will generally provide more accurate information, including both "P" codes and VW specific codes. Sometimes people use VCDS and have a good idea what the problem might be, and post the "P" code they have recorded. Other times, people use a generic code reader or app on their phone, and get only a generic code, which may not point to the right line of troubleshooting, or may fail to capture all codes, or miss VW specific codes. This is one reason why so many members here advocate for owning VCDS, despite the cost.

From 2003: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/list-of-vw-applicable-dtc-codes.61172/

A number of times I've had family/friends whose VW codes were read by an app or an auto parts store, only to have VCDS reveal more accurate information and avoid wasted troubleshooting, etc.

In your case (we posted at the same time yesterday), your 2012 JSW is covered under the extended warranty, VW will provide the actual VW codes when they scan the car, and then (depending on the skill and knowledge of the service dept) start the process of fixing it.

I don't think an exterior visual inspection of the DPF will confirm if it's cracked (would have to check with an expert on CR emissions), but from experience, VW may just do a forced regen and wait for you to test their solution, so be sure not to park it after the service- put some miles on to reveal the extent of their fix. Our cracked DPF took three trips before they replaced everything, and each prior visit they did as little as possible. Forced regen, clear codes, let it idle for 5 minutes, and tell us "it's all set." One time the MIL came back on 5 miles after leaving the service department...

Oh, and take Lightflyer's advice. More than once I've had service advisors stare blankly at me when discussing the emissions warranty, which for some of them must be game they play a few times a week.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I will repeat it again "Read here and educate yourself" on this known issue so you can discuss it if need be in a logical manner. The same with the warranty. Going in blind and ignorant isn't a plan for success. Don't lose your cool. More than likely you will have little to no trouble. If you do you will be able to handle it. Lots of people here behind you if you are willing to help yourself. Think positive though and get er done!

And cracked dpf means the ceramic substrate filter inside it is cracked/broken. Nothing to see from the outside. Black soot in the tailpipe is a sign of this as stated. I have 40k miles on mine and a clean tailpipe.

Last edited:

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Update: Car is still covered, sounds like they will have it fixed by tomorrow.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Did they decide or did you have to have a discussion with them? Just really how did it work out? Did they just tell you the repair is covered and that is it? Nice to hear when a dealer does right as well as when they mess up. Let us know! Remember also they owe you a loaner if they have to keep it, if you need that. That warranty can be quite handy when the dealer and VWoA do the right thing.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not to be pessimistic, but one of ours was "fixed" twice before being fixed, so your result depends on what repairs are performed.